Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pool pump/filter pipework leakages

Pool pump/filter pipework leakages

Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Pool pump/filter pipework leakages

I'd like advice on repairing leak(s) we have on some of the joints around our pool pump & filter. The leaks are quite significant and I'm concerned that a joint might pop out under pressure of extended usage. The cause of the leak was running the pump accidentally for a few minutes whilst the valves were shut until steam pressure built up and found the weak points. Part of the pipework is a length of flexible tubing so there are glued joints rather than threaded and it the seals were clearly ruptured under the pressure, perhaps not fully self-repaired as the system cooled down.

Is it repairable by yanking it out, cleaning and re-glueing, in which case, what product's best?

Or do we have to replace/rebuild the leaked section, ie, get someone in.

We're in Madrid, so unlikely any of our resident experts can help personally, but I'd appreciate advice on whether I'd be wasting my time on a DIY repair job.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:12 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool pump/filter pipework leakages

Hi
In my experience it is possible to repair, just go to you friendly pool / plumbing / ferrateria shop and explain you need to repair a plastic joint and they will have their favourite product to hand. But all the parts you need to replace (if you want / need to) are available. It depends how "handy" you are

Dave
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:35 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, the difficult bit is cleaning the old glue off the joint. It can be done if you're careful but, as often as not, you end up replacing the entire joint.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You may be best cutting out the dodgy bit and taking it into the plumbers merchants for them to see an getting a new bit of flexipipe and two couplings and a tube of adhesive and replacing it.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:18 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coralsoft
I'd like advice on repairing leak(s) we have on some of the joints around our pool pump & filter. The leaks are quite significant and I'm concerned that a joint might pop out under pressure of extended usage. The cause of the leak was running the pump accidentally for a few minutes whilst the valves were shut until steam pressure built up and found the weak points. Part of the pipework is a length of flexible tubing so there are glued joints rather than threaded and it the seals were clearly ruptured under the pressure, perhaps not fully self-repaired as the system cooled down.

Is it repairable by yanking it out, cleaning and re-glueing, in which case, what product's best?

Or do we have to replace/rebuild the leaked section, ie, get someone in.

We're in Madrid, so unlikely any of our resident experts can help personally, but I'd appreciate advice on whether I'd be wasting my time on a DIY repair job.
just get a stright coupling a new joint and a pice of flexi.take the complete old one off and ask the plumbers to glue the new bits on it if your not sure.the parts should be about 5 euro
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:24 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
just get a stright coupling a new joint and a pice of flexi.take the complete old one off and ask the plumbers to glue the new bits on it if your not sure.the parts should be about 5 euro
sorry I must sound like a parrot.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
sorry I must sound like a parrot.
No, great minds think alike. lol
It`the best way to do it, let them see the problem then the merchants know what to give you.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
No, great minds think alike. lol
It`the best way to do it, let them see the problem then the merchants know what to give you.
Its a good job he is in madrid,that would be a couple of grand if he lived in esuri.