Pool not used

Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default Pool not used

Hi

Pool not used between October to May put still paying for maintenance etc, would it be ok if left for this period?. Would a pool cover help to reduce costs etc
Thanks
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool not used

Originally Posted by bil8999
Hi

Pool not used between October to May put still paying for maintenance etc, would it be ok if left for this period?. Would a pool cover help to reduce costs etc
Thanks
A pool cover would help for sure, I got a quote for ours a while back €800 .. Maintenance costs would be reduced, as it would just be adding chemicals not so much cleaning.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just empty it, then jet wash it before use next year?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by valenciatim
A winter cover totally removes the need for any maintenance. The light is obscured and no algae grows.
I have read that if a pool is totally emptied there is a risk that it might "float" in ground water, popping it out of the ground.
If you do actually leave it with a winter cover it is a good idea to drop the water level a bit to allow space for rain water.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 03630
A winter cover totally removes the need for any maintenance. The light is obscured and no algae grows.
I have read that if a pool is totally emptied there is a risk that it might "float" in ground water, popping it out of the ground.
If you do actually leave it with a winter cover it is a good idea to drop the water level a bit to allow space for rain water.
The "popping out of the ground" would surely only effect a fibreglass pool?
I am just contemplating whether or not to empty mine this winter. I have done in the past with no problems, but have also left it full with no maintenance and it hasn't gone green, must have odd water up here. It has never been covered though.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:07 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Depends how big it is - around here we aren't (really) allowed to fill pools from the mains water - we have to get the water truck in - and a 8x4 pool is about €300 to fill I think.

Pool covers seem a good idea but if poss get the cover to form an apex so the rain runs off it... seen so many covers sagging with the sheer weight of rain water collected in the middle of the cover - some collapse !

Plus get a cover that overlaps tightly (ties over to retractable pins) otherwise strong winds will blow in leaves and dust.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 03630
Here, a pool can overfill within a few hours with the rain we get

I just leave mine each year, vacuum it once a month maybe if that, and just keep putting a chlorine tab in every so often. We seldom have a problem, and I wouldn't be bothered with emptying it each year. However in a year or so's time I will empty in for maintenance, fix some tiles, re grouting and thorough clean. Costs about €250 to refill a pool here, whether it be from a truck or the mains
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

A pool should never be left empty. I am not sure about the advantages of a pool cover. Certainly one of those bubble things that float on the surface would be no good whatsoever. I leave my pool uncovered. I clean it once a week and add about 100 grammes of chlorine a week. I operate the pump for about an hour a day just to keep the water moving around a bit and to stop the bearings seizing up.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

The "popping out of the ground" would surely only effect a fibreglass pool?
I am just contemplating whether or not to empty mine this winter. I have done in the past with no problems, but have also left it full with no maintenance and it hasn't gone green, must have odd water up here. It has never been covered though.
The book I quote is called The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual. I suspect it is a little conservative as it is written for professionals. If your pool doesn't go green, then leaving it is the answer. Saves on an awful lot of water.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Costs about €250 to refill a pool here, whether it be from a truck or the mains
The price of water seems to vary a lot.

I belong to a cooperative. It is about 110 Euros annual membership and then 25c a cubic metre (1000 litrs) thereafter. Making the average pool, 11 Euros to fill. I have never emptied mine though.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Any empty pool can lift out of the ground depending on the water table of the surrounding land.
I would of thought in most parts of Spain the water table is well below the underside of the pools so would not be relevent.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:17 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Any empty pool can lift out of the ground depending on the water table of the surrounding land.
I would of thought in most parts of Spain the water table is well below the underside of the pools so would not be relevent.
dont forget the rain raising the water table.winterise the pool.there should be no need to drain the pool exept for some big maintanance repairs.it dosnt mater if it goes green,you can sort that out in a couple of days.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:44 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by betris
dont forget the rain raising the water table.winterise the pool.there should be no need to drain the pool exept for some big maintanance repairs.it dosnt mater if it goes green,you can sort that out in a couple of days.

No problem for you betris just move the tin bath near the fire lar
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:32 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
No problem for you betris just move the tin bath near the fire lar
you have given me a brain wave.portable private mini pools.I will get some tin baths and paint them blue.when is the next boot sale.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:19 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by betris
you have given me a brain wave.portable private mini pools.I will get some tin baths and paint them blue.when is the next boot sale.

The sad thing is betris people would buy them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.