Reload this Page >

Pool filter run times....

Pool filter run times....

Old Aug 18th 2006, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Amarilla will become famous soon enoughAmarilla will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pool filter run times....

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
The crystal clarity of a pool is very subjective. I know people who insist that their pool is crystal clear and a deep blue colour but it is not possible to see the joins between the tiles at the deep end and the water only looks blue because it is disguised by the colour of the tiles.
I judge the clarity of my pool by whether I get a strong reflection of the sun on the stainless steel screws holding down the pool drain cover.

I mentioned this to a friend who was a pool engineer in the UK and he said that there is an objective test for clarity. It uses a stainless steel rod and you note the depth that the reflection is obscured by the turbidity in the pool.

Perhaps the answer is to throw a couple of s/s washers in the deep end!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

....or a silver threepenny piece!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:

If you are using a liquid pH reducer should it not be muriatic or hydrochloric acid?
FWIW "muriatic" and "hydrochloric" are different names for the same thing.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Come and chuck them in my pool
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Amarilla will become famous soon enoughAmarilla will become famous soon enough

Now that's not a bad idea.

Silver is often used in activated carbon filters to prevent buildup of bacteria. It used to be common to put silver coins in the water barrels on sailing ships to stop the water going off.

This could be a whole new method of pool sanitisation instead of chlorine.

What I don't know is how many silver threepenny pieces equate to a 200g chlorine tablet.

Answers on a postcard please!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Next your be telling us to use Baking soda as an Alkalinity Increaser
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
I know, that's why I gave both names and to point out the difference between that and sulphuric acid which is something rather different.

I actually use sodium bisulphate which is a far safer alternative!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

I know, that's why I gave both names and to point out the difference between that and sulphuric acid which is something rather different.

I actually use sodium bisulphate which is a far safer alternative!
Actually, you're probably right and it is hydrochloric acid ... I haven't checked the label yet ... just going on a vague recollection of what my pool contractor said. I will certainly be sure by the time I actually throw anything in the pool
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Actually, you're probably right and it is hydrochloric acid ... I haven't checked the label yet ... just going on a vague recollection of what my pool contractor said. I will certainly be sure by the time I actually throw anything in the pool
Hydrochloric acid is usually sold as Agua Fuerte - about 20 - 25% concentration.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

the guy i work with says 6 hours filter per day. he also says a "low usage" pool will only need 3 or 4 hours a day. a high usage pool (rental villa with the pool being used every day by 20 people etc) will need alot more, maybe 10 hours filtering,.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Eight hours is not excessive, even longer in extreme heat and lots of use.
Sometimes we have 30 to 40 people use the pool a day in July and August and at least once a week I leave it on 24 hours.
Always keep the chemicals up to what they should be also.
You hae a lot of friends JDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do they all get in the pool at once!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 5:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
You hae a lot of friends JDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do they all get in the pool at once!
Its a community pool 10 x 6 mtrs and shared by 14 apartments last two weeks in July and all of August is crazy but a good laugh.
Most of the time its relaxed as only 3 apartments are occupied and occasionally one or two of the others are rented.
My 3 yr old grandson testing it out.
Attached Thumbnails Pool filter run times....-underwater2-020.jpg   Pool filter run times....-underwater2-012.jpg  

Last edited by jdr; Aug 22nd 2006 at 6:01 pm.