Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pool chlorine alternative

Pool chlorine alternative

Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Popsy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pool chlorine alternative

Hi everyone. Does anyone know of something that can be used in a pool as an alternative to chlorine ? Something natural or Eco friendly.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool chlorine alternative

What exactly is unnatural about chlorine and why is it not eco friendly?

I certainly don't know of any alternatives.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Popsy1
Hi everyone. Does anyone know of something that can be used in a pool as an alternative to chlorine ? Something natural or Eco friendly.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

The only alternative is to have a salt water pool but it needs a different pump, and salt naturally produces chlorine anyway.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:44 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
What exactly is unnatural about chlorine and why is it not eco friendly?

I certainly don't know of any alternatives.
Seconded.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. My wife wants to be as Green as possible. But yes chlorine is found naturally as I have just discovered. � ����
Old Nov 14th 2014, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Plain vanilla supermarket bleach is much the same. Most of the Chlorine tablets sold do much more though, containing as they do anti algicides etc.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:04 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Our pool used to have an electric system for purification - it worked on electrolosis or something - seemed to keep the water OK BUT depositied a green copper residue in the grouting which looked aweful and was hard to clean. Eventually we got fed up with it and slung it out and put in a conventional system - water now a lot nicer looking and pool grouting keeps fine. Would never go back.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:12 pm
Josh in Spain

Thanks guys. My wife wants to be as Green as possible. But yes chlorine is found naturally as I have just discovered. ������
The problem with pools and trying to be green is that you may end up being poisoned! or worse find you are incubating all sorts of nasties. I can't see why using an effective purification system is not considered as being green. If being "green" means using no chemicals at all then how could you drink water - or keep clean - or be safe from infection when you cut yourself. We have to use chemicals and pretending that "certain natuarally derived alternatives" are not "chemicals" is ignoring the real issue Excessive use of chamicals (man made or naturally occuring) may be bad for the environment but used properly must be considered essential or even good!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:43 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Ultra Violet has been used for cleaning things for years - but it has to be commercial strength. There used to be a commercial system available but I´m long out of touch with these things.

Bromide can be used in pools to prevent algae, but whether it is Eco-friendly I have no idea

Davexf
Old Nov 14th 2014, 10:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Ultra Violet has been used for cleaning things for years - but it has to be commercial strength. There used to be a commercial system available but I´m long out of touch with these things.

Bromide can be used in pools to prevent algae, but whether it is Eco-friendly I have no idea

Davexf
Yes very eco-friendly - it will help reduce the population explosion.

You just put it in your old man's tea...
Old Nov 15th 2014, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Yes I am familiar with uv being used for water purification but it's not as effective as chlorine or bromine which are basically bleaches and are indiscriminate.
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like it will be chlorine after all.

Oh and Joddie just for information no chemicals are used to purify drinking water. Without going too deep it's basically just filtered through volcanic rock and then sand. And that includes sewage which is then put back into the water ways which then feed into the reservuars. Of course de-salination is a different system all together.

Cheers everyone.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 10:33 am
Josh in Spain

Yes I am familiar with uv being used for water purification but it's not as effective as chlorine or bromine which are basically bleaches and are indiscriminate.
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like it will be chlorine after all.

Oh and Joddie just for information no chemicals are used to purify drinking water. Without going too deep it's basically just filtered through volcanic rock and then sand. And that includes sewage which is then put back into the water ways which then feed into the reservuars. Of course de-salination is a different system all together.

Cheers everyone.
But I beg to differ - Chlorine is an important ingrediant in drinking water here in Spain - if it was not the water would become undrinkable due to the build up of micro-organisms - if you are in any doubt just smell the water that comes from the taps here!!!! In the UK the process is the same but not as severe and is verified and explained here Also in the UK aluminium sulphate has been added to drinking water to make it clearer and that is despite reservations about its safety and the results of an accident which happened in the late 1980s when too much was added to the local water suply in Camelford!

Last edited by Joddle; Nov 15th 2014 at 11:06 am.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Joddie. I stand corrected. They never did that when I did work for them but that was a long long time ago. � ����
We live and learn.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

danielspaniel11234 is an unknown quantity at this point

im Eco friendly as I don't have kids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.