British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   POLL:- Weight loss/gain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/poll-weight-loss-gain-544224/)

linda Coyle Jun 20th 2008 7:33 pm

POLL:- Weight loss/gain

Thought this might be interesting as we hear of this healthier lifestyle in Spain. Does it work? I fully intend to embark on it and shed a few pounds. Just wondered how many of you have actually lost weight (or gained) since your move

Palmera Jun 20th 2008 7:40 pm

Re: POLL:- Weight loss/gain

female - 29 years 5´2" weighed 8 and a half stone in 2003

then moved to spain

within 1 year weighed 7 and a half stone.....and have stayed same weight ever since!

reason? eat 99% fresh foods for main meals, not pre-packed. fresh chicken breast, fish, veg, though daily consumtion of chocolate and cakes and vino!!

DebsyW Jun 20th 2008 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Palmera (Post 6487078)
female - 29 years 5´2" weighed 8 and a half stone in 2003

then moved to spain

within 1 year weighed 7 and a half stone.....and have stayed same weight ever since!

reason? eat 99% fresh foods for main meals, not pre-packed. fresh chicken breast, fish, veg, though daily consumtion of chocolate and cakes and vino!!

Im in Uk and very, very rarely use pre-packed foods... I cook all meals with fresh ingredients... but although Im more or less your height I am nowhere near your weight (Im heavier)... so I don`t think it`s necessarily diet. But... I`m off topic cos I don`t live in Spain... but I`m commenting on fresh food.

Palmera Jun 20th 2008 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DebsyW (Post 6487101)
Im in Uk and very, very rarely use pre-packed foods... I cook all meals with fresh ingredients... but although Im more or less your height I am nowhere near your weight (Im heavier)... so I don`t think it`s necessarily diet. But... I`m off topic cos I don`t live in Spain... but I`m commenting on fresh food.

it could be lifestyle aswell. in uk i sat on my bum in my office all day, whereas here i´m out swimming in the pool, walking the dogs, down at the beach.on the otherhand i spend more time here eating out, drinking alcohol, siestering, so maybe they negate each other!:DWhatever it is, i´m loving it!!:thumbsup:

Katya Jun 20th 2008 8:37 pm

Im Loving it !!!!!!!!! Move out in 4 weeks ! Still got a few pounds to shed after baby number 2 - but knowing my luck it wont happen that way !!!!!!!! Katx

crispy Jun 20th 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by linda Coyle (Post 6487063)
Thought this might be interesting as we hear of this healthier lifestyle in Spain. Does it work? I fully intend to embark on it and shed a few pounds. Just wondered how many of you have actually lost weight (or gained) since your move

Age 55, 5ft 8in I have lived here three years full time and put on 2 stone, 99% of the time I eat only fresh produce, hardly ever eat cakes, chocolate or sweets, however I do love bread and alcohol and that is where my downfall is.

For the last 8 weeks I have cut down on bread and alcohol, practically non-existent in my diet now and I have lost 8lb so there is hope for me yet:p

crispy Jun 20th 2008 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Palmera (Post 6487233)
it could be lifestyle aswell. in uk i sat on my bum in my office all day, whereas here i´m out swimming in the pool, walking the dogs, down at the beach.on the otherhand i spend more time here eating out, drinking alcohol, siestering, so maybe they negate each other!:DWhatever it is, i´m loving it!!:thumbsup:

I think you are right Palmera, I have gone from being on my feet all day running around in an emergency lab, two hour commute both ways to work daily to sitting on me bum at this keyboard:lol: I also have a knee complaint that stops be from walking to far but I try not to give in to it and walk a couple of 2k each day.

Katya Jun 20th 2008 8:44 pm

Crispy i think im gonna with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poshnbucks Jun 20th 2008 8:51 pm

Well I have put on shed loads of weight. I am 34 inch waist but I do wear 52inch waist trousers.......... Just for comfort ..."Ay-Thang-Yew" :o

crispy Jun 20th 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by poshnbucks (Post 6487282)
Well I have put on shed loads of weight. I am 34 inch waist but I do wear 52inch waist trousers.......... Just for comfort ..."Ay-Thang-Yew" :o

There's a lot to be said for the good old elasticated waist:rofl:

bil Jun 20th 2008 11:34 pm

Hi Chris,

How's it going?

I'm down to 11 stone 7 or 8 now, all without doing anything as sordid as exercise!

mrsjdr Jun 21st 2008 8:40 am

After only a few months here I had lost over 2 stone, and gone down 1-2 dress sizes, although have put a little back on am still a lot slimmer & fitter than when in UK, and thats with eating out and 1 or 2 glasses of vino to many!!

SueG Jun 21st 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by crispy (Post 6487250)
Age 55, 5ft 8in I have lived here three years full time and put on 2 stone, 99% of the time I eat only fresh produce, hardly ever eat cakes, chocolate or sweets, however I do love bread and alcohol and that is where my downfall is.

For the last 8 weeks I have cut down on bread and alcohol, practically non-existent in my diet now and I have lost 8lb so there is hope for me yet:p

Agree with Crispy - weren't daft enough to bring my scales with me - but the clothes say I have gained:thumbdown:

bil Jun 21st 2008 1:41 pm

The best thing is to cut out refined carbs. Those IMO are the real killers. Atkins had a point.

DebsyW Jun 21st 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 6489121)
The best thing is to cut out refined carbs. Those IMO are the real killers. Atkins had a point.

you will have to pm me your diet sheet Bil... or email it to me if you still have my email address..... that`s if you do have a diet sheet that is. xx