Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Polarisworld to buy or not to buy?

Polarisworld to buy or not to buy?

Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:50 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polarisworld to buy or not to buy?

Originally Posted by jdr
I think you are their promotional manager and claim my 5 quid prize.
Or an Agent flogging them, I can smell them
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janh
...They are what they are which is a manufactured golf resort. We have stayed on two and liked those, clean, well looked after but probably 'spainlite' in comparision to buying on a Spanish urbanisation or in a village. Although they do seem to have lots of Spanish residents. As we will only be dipping in and out for the next few years its hard to see us becoming part of a local community, so a resort probably suits us best...
...I think we are considering a property on the resort identified on the thread as not having built all the facilities. Thats not strictly true, the first golf course is on target, the residents shopping area is built and being fitted, all the pools are in and usable. A club house is to start build shortly and all the sport facilities are already there or being finished. Plus all the apartments they had started to build are finished or are being finished- so over 3,000 properties I believe. The place looks lovely. But they have put a hold on the next phase of apartment building- they havent sold every one they have already built and in this market it makes sense...
Hi Janh,
Here are some "need to know" questions:
Does this golf resort have a "comunidad de propietarios"? Have you asked about the payment of community fees? Who is the administrator? Does the developer pay for their unsold properties into the community funds? Can a "golf resort" turn into a "mancomunidad" in a few years time?
"spainlite" perhaps in the sense you might have been implying, but not necessarily lite on your purse.
Why not enjoy holidaying in same locale for a few more years in a rental? The selling prices will not increase, imo. Then you'll see for yourself perhaps how long it will take for the unfinished areas to be finished.
May I suggest another thought to consider? In 5 - 10 years time (depends on the ages of your sons), their preferences on holidays with parents may change considerably?

Carol
P.S. Just read your recent post. Yes, consider other options - those with less overheads, imo.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a private sale on an established smaller development with a pool but near some shops, bars and restaurants would make more sense?
You will hear all kinds of nightmare stories and worries about newbuilds, but it doesnt need to be like that

Buy on an established area / urb
Dont believe everything the agent or builder tell you
Use a totally independent solicitor to verify everything
Have a contract drawn up with everything set out in writing so there can be no misunderstandings
Visit the area in the winter and the summer
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

fantastic to unwind but not to live in regularly (we have 3 sons, and they have 3 male cousins who spend much time with us and holiday with us and they all need entertainment- some bars and restaurants and some sport facilities) Dont want to have to drive to bars and restaurants.
Why not just buy a place in one of the many towns or cities around Spain? Plenty of golf courses around, you know! If you must have access to sandy beaches, I can recommend the small town of Cabezon de la Sal in Cantabria (santander airport). It's only a few miles from the amazing resort of Comillas and Oyambre beach, but being a few miles inland the prices aren't so crazy. Lot's of sports and activities in the area too - sea sports, mountain sports - even ski-ing in winter in the Picos. Plus there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the town, so no need to drive! Of course this is just one possibility - I'm sure the other posters here can give other suggestions.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:05 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I read that there are 5 Town Halls in Cantabria that are awaiting the decision to demolish or not, usual suspects and usual projects.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

mofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the rough

Just read my post back and it does sound as if I'm on commission! Wasnt meant to and we do know the residents are at loggerheads with PW over community chages being double expected.

Thanks for the other input- makes sense to them to pull in payments ahead of dates but not to purchasers. Will speak to our solicitor about the bank gaurentee situation before committing- we thought they were just issued as standard. Trouble with these developers as far as we can find out is that once you sign on the dotted line they loose interest and dont follow up on promises.

Maybe a private sale on an established smaller development with a pool but near some shops, bars and restaurants would make more sense?
I'd certainly reccomend buying a resale rather than off plan or from one of the big agents. We got our money back after pulling out of buying off plan and bought a resale. We are very glad we did. We believe it is very hard to do so now. Companies big and small are having lots of problems. Check out established urbs that have already got all the facilities. There are a lot of bargains to be had at present and with a good solicitor you should avoid any pitfalls.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Janh is an unknown quantity at this point

Offended by the suggestion I'm an agent- because I'm not and the inference is I'm promoting PW- well I'm not: I wanted information about them. Have to say that our experience with them so far and what we have seen is positive and thats also why I've been looking for additional info. Are things what they seem? This forum was recommended as a source of good advice.

Thanks for the input from other posters- we're out there in three weeks and plan to have a final rece in the area before any big decisions. I would like to go back to Medina Sidonia as I believe there's a new build area there too. So we're going to travel there first and drive across. Thanks mofieldhouse you've just confirmed what I was thinking really and probably why I wanted more info on PW.

In some respects the choice is vast and more affordable to us now- as most of you are saying no point rushing. Semi retirement beckons so best to be sure.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Offended by the suggestion I'm an agent- because I'm not and the inference is I'm promoting PW- well I'm not: I wanted information about them. Have to say that our experience with them so far and what we have seen is positive and thats also why I've been looking for additional info. Are things what they seem? This forum was recommended as a source of good advice.

Thanks for the input from other posters- we're out there in three weeks and plan to have a final rece in the area before any big decisions. I would like to go back to Medina Sidonia as I believe there's a new build area there too. So we're going to travel there first and drive across. Thanks mofieldhouse you've just confirmed what I was thinking really and probably why I wanted more info on PW.

In some respects the choice is vast and more affordable to us now- as most of you are saying no point rushing. Semi retirement beckons so best to be sure.
Well ........ based on what I have heard from a friend who has bought from them, I would recommend against. He too found them very helpful. Then he paid his deposit.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Read the house price crash website. There's a section about Spain!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Read the house price crash website. There's a section about Spain!
I am sure there is a page aout every country ?
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the latest in the Polaris World saga.........

http://www.spainsolicitors.com/last-newsletter.asp
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Ducky1372 will become famous soon enoughDucky1372 will become famous soon enough

If you haven't purchased no polaris world resorts already - then please think very carefully before you do.

My mother and father in law own 2 properties on two different sites and are still having a big legal battle over 2 further properties they were purchasing on a site that didnt get built (Polaris were refusing to give them the money already paid back, even though they are no longer going to be building the complex!).

The two main sites in Murcia (Mar Menor and La Torre) are both very nice sites but are no longer owned by Polaris but by the banks. The properties are lovely but with the current climate they are not really able to get many rentals and it is costing them a lot of money. If you are thinking of buying and have a car to get around then now is a good time as the prices are dropping!

Good luck to you and I hope you find a lovely place to live.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There are several PW sites and some are better than others.

I have a friend who bought on PW and he is very pleased with his purchase.

I know a solicitor who bought a villa for himself and an appartment for his guests on PW.

Not my choice but each to their own. If you are a keen golfer looking for a holiday home? There are some good bargains on offer go for it
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

My sister & husband bought a villa from Polaris on the Mar Menor resort several years ago. They use it as a holiday home and rent it out over the summer as much as they can.

On the whole they have been pleased with it but there have been problems.

Polaris pulled out of running the place so they had to set up their own committee to organise gardening etc. Intercontinental had the hotel to start with but also pulled out presumably because the place wasn't doing well enough. So lots of the facilities orginally there/promised have been reduced and/or got more expensive. The restaurants aren't open all year round for example - only for the very short summer season.

Apparently a large number of property owners haven't paid their annual maintenance charges which obviously reduces the budget for running the place.

Renting the place out has been reasonably successful though. Not many people are there in the winter. I went down last May and the place was almost deserted so I couldn't imagine living there all year round.

Rose