Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Plumbing Problem - Water turned off.

Plumbing Problem - Water turned off.

Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Plumbing Problem - Water turned off.

Yesterday our ubanisation had more problems with water......the tanks were going mad, the water was disgusting brown etc etc...im sure you have all been there at some point.

Later it all cleared up and was fine, except 1 toilet....its not filling up properly, theres no pressure, just dribbles of water filling it so you can flush but have to wait a very long time..

Any ideas before I have to go spending on plumbers?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing Problem - Water turned off.

Originally Posted by j0197
Yesterday our ubanisation had more problems with water......the tanks were going mad, the water was disgusting brown etc etc...im sure you have all been there at some point.

Later it all cleared up and was fine, except 1 toilet....its not filling up properly, theres no pressure, just dribbles of water filling it so you can flush but have to wait a very long time..

Any ideas before I have to go spending on plumbers?
Probably some sand got washed through to the ballvalve ( you are not allowed to say that in UK) Turn the little stop valve on the pipe outside the cistern a quarter turn clockwise, then you should be able to dismantle the part where the water runs into the cistern, clean out the crap and refit. ;-)
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:56 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

We had no water in the kitchen and began to panic...then realised there was water everywhere else in the house. Dismantled the tap head and there was just a tiny bit of earth sediment, probabaly washed into the system when they cut into the pipes to install a watering system in the garden. Problem solved immediately.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Thanks for your quick reply.

behind the toilet at the bottom is a point where I can turn the water off. Do you mean this? and then dismantel the pipes from this the cistern from the bottom?

Sorry, being typical girl, my man is not here and even if he was I wouldnt get it done so trying to do it myself.

Last edited by j0197; Mar 13th 2007 at 2:01 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your quick reply.

behind the toilet at the bottom is a point where I can turn the water off. Do you mean this? and then dismantel the pipes from this the cistern from the bottom?

Sorry, being typical girl, my man is not here and even if he was I wouldnt get it done so trying to do it myself.
Yeah turn the little valve off, then take the lid off the cistern and you will see where the water comes in, gentle move it up and down a couple of times, this may release the crap. If not you may have to take it to pieces to clean.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, I have taken the lid off and taken most of it to pieces. I can see the where the water is coming in (through a white thing at the top) and its is coming, just slowly. I cant seem to remove the whole white tube thingy that is attached to the bottom of the cistern.

Think it may in the pipes...

If i turn the water off and undo the pipes....will there be anything yuky...you know what I mean? or is it just water. I dont have a strong tummy.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

bick40 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdr
Probably some sand got washed through to the ballvalve ( you are not allowed to say that in UK) Turn the little stop valve on the pipe outside the cistern a quarter turn clockwise, then you should be able to dismantle the part where the water runs into the cistern, clean out the crap and refit. ;-)
On the subject of these valves can I ask a question about them please as they do not exist in a similar fashion in the UK and I have never investigated them too deeply.
Is there a rubber washer inside them as a couple of mine do not turn the whole way and it feels like they are pushing against something? On the front of them is a screw - if I undid that to get to the valve will I need to turn off the main water supply first. And if it is a washer are they easy to replace or reposition?
Thanks. Mike
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Ok, I have taken the lid off and taken most of it to pieces. I can see the where the water is coming in (through a white thing at the top) and its is coming, just slowly. I cant seem to remove the whole white tube thingy that is attached to the bottom of the cistern.

Think it may in the pipes...

If i turn the water off and undo the pipes....will there be anything yuky...you know what I mean? or is it just water. I dont have a strong tummy.
Its the white thing at the top where the water comes in that you have to undo, it only clean water so you will be ok.
Undo the big nut anti clockwise, and you should see the mud, slowly turn the water on to wash it through, then replace.

Last edited by jdr; Mar 13th 2007 at 3:16 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by bick40
On the subject of these valves can I ask a question about them please as they do not exist in a similar fashion in the UK and I have never investigated them too deeply.
Is there a rubber washer inside them as a couple of mine do not turn the whole way and it feels like they are pushing against something? On the front of them is a screw - if I undid that to get to the valve will I need to turn off the main water supply first. And if it is a washer are they easy to replace or reposition?
Thanks. Mike
If you dont turn the water off you will probably get a shower, lol
The scew is the adjuster for the water level, the bit to undo is the big nut just below that screw.
I have never taken one to bits but Ishould imagine there is a diaphragm washer there, but the cost of parts here its probably as well to renew the whole valve.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:19 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If you dont turn the water off you will probably get a shower, lol
The scew is the adjuster for the water level, the bit to undo is the big nut just below that screw.
I have never taken one to bits but Ishould imagine there is a diaphragm washer there, but the cost of parts here its probably as well to renew the whole valve.
I Have spoke with Mrs Bigpete she said yep its got a diaphragm washer , most likely , she also said that jdr is spot on with his assumptions..
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Big Pete
I Have spoke with Mrs Bigpete she said yep its got a diaphragm washer , most likely , she also said that jdr is spot on with his assumptions..
Is mrsbigpete a plumber or is she just fascinated by ballcocks ?
Whoops i keep forgetting to be politically correct, delete ballcock and insert "water flotation valve" ;-)
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:36 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Is mrsbigpete a plumber or is she just fascinated by ballcocks ?
Whoops i keep forgetting to be politically correct, delete ballcock and insert "water flotation valve" ;-)

She knows loads of things jdr , very clever she is
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

I have had my hand down this bloody toilet on and off all day. Even the 2 little push buttons arent sitting right now....and thats on all 3 toilets in my house.

Just to clarify before I do it tomorrow now....

from the wall where i can turn the water off is a mettal pipe into the cistern.

Shall I undo this (making sure the water is turned off) and then turn it on slowly to clean it.

Sorry.....JDR and everyone - you have all been so helpful.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I have had my hand down this bloody toilet on and off all day. Even the 2 little push buttons arent sitting right now....and thats on all 3 toilets in my house.

Just to clarify before I do it tomorrow now....

from the wall where i can turn the water off is a mettal pipe into the cistern.

Shall I undo this (making sure the water is turned off) and then turn it on slowly to clean it.

Sorry.....JDR and everyone - you have all been so helpful.
You could try that but the block will probably be in the small hole in the valve where the water fills into the cistern, undo the nut and take it apart, then slowly turn water on to wash it out.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

AHHHHHHH. Think i have to find a handy man.

I have unscrewed the bolt by the main tap point. Then turned the water on and there is pressure. In the pipe was a little bit of mud. But sthill not cleared completely.

Cant get the bit off that is connected to the toilet as theres no room for the spanner to turn as its so close to the wall.

And cant seem to remove the white tube inside the cistern. All this because the water got turned off.

Thanks JDR for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.