Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Plumbing advice

Plumbing advice

Old May 15th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default Plumbing advice

I have always used teflon when connecting threaded metal plumbing bits & bobs. However, I have seen plumbers use a sort of putty & long hair type thing.

I have just bought some of the putty & hair, 1e what a bargain. To seal a threaded fitment do I put a bit of putty on first then wind the hair round? or wind the hair round & add the putty on after?

I assume once tightened it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to get it right first time.

Any tips much appreciated.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing advice

haven't you tried yourself ??

can't understand why you gave up on the teflon tape. Usually buy a trade pack of 6 from Screwfix for a couple of £'s

nowadays the Spanish I have come across use plastic piping for everything, including hot water. Also use alot of metal flexible hoses as well.
Old May 15th 2012, 1:04 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes plastic is the newbie on the block and it's childs play.

I use PTF tape, but I note that some Spanish use sealant, it does seem to work.

Biggest problems over here are, a little 20c job can cost you 1000's Euros coz they bury the bloody pipes behind expensive tiles.
Old May 15th 2012, 1:33 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Yes plastic is the newbie on the block and it's childs play.

I use PTF tape, but I note that some Spanish use sealant, it does seem to work.

Biggest problems over here are, a little 20c job can cost you 1000's Euros coz they bury the bloody pipes behind expensive tiles.
but boxes around surface pipes are so....British !

I decided to not tell my landlord that when he came to inspect the damp patch in the wall where a pipe joint built into the wall was leaking.

Old May 15th 2012, 1:40 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

We originally started with PVC plumbing, but after two bursts inside walls, we'll never use it again in places where leaks cannot be fixed without major surgery.

Back to copper we went. Hell of a lot more expensive, but it doesn't break unexpectedly.
Old May 15th 2012, 5:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

The correct answer is that PVC is for copper or plastic and the horse-hair stuff is for brass and/or steel or iron.

The beauty of the 'gook' is that it expands to make a water-tight joint.

Put a little gook on first, then a little hair, then a little more gook to smooth the hair down - works a treat. They also use it in UK on steel/iron pipes (it's NOT old fashioned at all).
Old May 15th 2012, 5:48 pm
Banned

MrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really nice

Are you soldering ? Is it flux by any chance ? Lol. Apply the flux or what ever it is then wrap what I'm assuming is horse hair around the fitting. The hair just makes the joint tighter.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

The hemp (hair) and putty method of sealing threaded pipe is as old as the hills in UK plumbing. It is still used in steel and brass fittings, but the white ptfe tape is just as good if not better.

This cannot be used on plastic to metal fittings, these are compression joints and don't require any sealing other than what is included in the compression fitting itself.
Old May 16th 2012, 6:22 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The correct answer is that PVC is for copper or plastic and the horse-hair stuff is for brass and/or steel or iron.

Put a little gook on first, then a little hair, then a little more gook to smooth the hair down - works a treat. They also use it in UK on steel/iron pipes (it's NOT old fashioned at all).
That should have been PTFE tape of course (doh!)
Old May 16th 2012, 8:47 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You can use a liquid version. I had some in the UK made by Dunlop called PTFE Sealant and I have found one in Spain called "Sellador de tuberias con PTFE".

It's an anaerobic adhesive (like Superglue) with added PTFE. A couple of drops on the joint and it seals immediately. It is at full strength after 3 hours. I used it once on some high pressure (1000 psi) and it worked OK.

It seals but doesn't totally lock the joint so reasonable pressure with a spanner will break the seal if you need to open it up.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

The closest answer

"gook" was originally called "Boss white" (in the UK) and is a sealant mainly for metal threaded pipe fittings. It's commonly used with horse hair or hemp. The procedure above is correct.

PTFE or the liquid version, is mainly for brass threaded pipe fittings.

Most copper fittings are soldered (braised for gas pipe) or use fiber / rubber seals.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the replies - I will try the gook as its metal on metal, not copper.

cheers all
Old May 18th 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Abyss-Rover
The closest answer

"gook" was originally called "Boss white" (in the UK) and is a sealant mainly for metal threaded pipe fittings. It's commonly used with horse hair or hemp. The procedure above is correct.

PTFE or the liquid version, is mainly for brass threaded pipe fittings.

Most copper fittings are soldered (braised for gas pipe) or use fiber / rubber seals.
or compression olives
Old May 18th 2012, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
or compression olives
Old May 20th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
I have always used teflon when connecting threaded metal plumbing bits & bobs. However, I have seen plumbers use a sort of putty & long hair type thing.

I have just bought some of the putty & hair, 1e what a bargain. To seal a threaded fitment do I put a bit of putty on first then wind the hair round? or wind the hair round & add the putty on after?

I assume once tightened it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to get it right first time.

Any tips much appreciated.
If you use PTFE tape, which is good, make sure you wind it round the thread the correct way; ie, so that when you attach a nut to tighten round the thread, the nut doesn't undo the tape.

The hairy stuff is ok; it used to be used until tape came along!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.