Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Please only answer if you live in or around Nerja!

Please only answer if you live in or around Nerja!

Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please only answer if you live in or around Nerja!

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago and it just ended up with members escalating into a stupid argument and my question not really getting answered and so I would really appreciate it if people who live in Nerja only would help me.
My Husband and I are trying to put together a picture of what it will cost us to live in Nerja and so we need every cost to take into consideration. We go there alot on holiday and so know what rents, shopping and petrol will cost but I need to know about other things like electric, gas, phone, internet, car tax, property rax, basura etc.
I have heard varying different rates in my last thread but some people lived in the mountains and others by the coast and so I am trying to keep it specific to the place where we want to move.
Say we lived in an urbanisation like Capistrano in a 2 bed, smallish townhouse, would would we expect to pay for basura, would we need to pay property tax if the property is rented? What would the average be for household bills? What about car tax? Would we immediately need spanish insurance or can we keep the UK one for a bit?
I would really appreciate anyone who can help clarify exact figures for this part of spain and this type of property. Thanks!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please only answer if you live in or around Nerja!

Originally Posted by emjharts
Say we lived in an urbanisation like Capistrano in a 2 bed, smallish townhouse, would would we expect to pay for basura, would we need to pay property tax if the property is rented? What would the average be for household bills? What about car tax? Would we immediately need spanish insurance or can we keep the UK one for a bit?
I have lived in Nerja for a short time and now live 15mins away. I also have many friends in Nerja.

It is very difficult to give you accurate figures as there are so many variables.

If you lived in Capistano the urbanisation fees would make your eyes water but it includes absolutely everything - gardening painting etc.

If you lived somewhere else it could be 75% less.

If you let your property then you have to pay Spanish income tax on the rentals at 24%.

Household bills depend entirely on your lifestyle. Nerja is not the cheapest place to go shopping as they rely heavily on tourists and charge higher prices especially in summer. Shop out of town and it would be cheaper. There is a new Lidl and their prices are the same as any other Lidl outlet.

Car tax is reasonably cheap - it varies from place to place but for an average car it would probably be less than €100. If you bring your car from the UK you will have to change it over to Spanish plates within 60 days. You will then need Spanish insurance. The cost of registering it will depend on the car and just what has to be changed/modified to conform with Spanish MOT rules. It will be a few hundred Euros and if you delay it, it could be in four figures.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, it hasn't really helped that much as you didn't really mention any figures! So when you say Capistrano will make your eyes water how much are we talking?!!
And the tax on the property we will rent, we will have to pay 24% on top of the rent that we pay or would the landlord usually include that in the rent?

As for the car, i didn't realise you only had 60 days, i thought it was 6 months, so we would have to put aside around 400 or 500 euros for that then?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't some parts of capistrano have structural problems?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Don't all alot of Spanish properties have structural problems?!!! I just want to know approximate prices for somewhere LIKE Capistrano!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You really are asking "how long is a piece of string".

If you want detailed answers you will have to ask detailed questions.

Exactly what property do you want to rent? You didn't even make it clear that you were going to rent.

If you are renting the community charges may or may not be included in the rent. They can be well over €2000 on some properties.

If you are renting why would you pay any tax - you just pay the rent.

Yes, in theory you have 6 months in which to register your car but if you don't do it as soon as you arrive you will have to pay a registration tax that could be 14.75% of it's value - or it could be zero - it depends on the car.

So, you can see that it impossible to answer such a vague question apart from giving you vague answers.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Doesn't some parts of capistrano have structural problems?
Well it's been there for 35 years and I haven't heard or seen any significant problems apart from what you would expect on properties of that age.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

I am looking to rent similar to one that is currently for rent on Nerja Reality in Pueblo Rocio - a 3 bed, 2 bath townhouse with communal pool. Although a 2 bed, 1 bath is fine this would be perfect and the rent is 650 euro per month which is around what we would be looking to pay but as I have not and am not in Spain renting right this moment I cannot give you a specific property, I just wanted an insight into what people pay when living in an urbanisation but it seems this doesn't appear to be possible, i know they all vary but just some examples would be good.
As for the car, thanks for the info, its good to know that we have 6 months. We have a 2005 Fiat Panda that is probably worth around £3000 and so you are saying that if we do not register this car after 60 days we will have to pay 14.75% or does it go by what type of car it is of which i'm sure i can find out somewhere.
Also, does anyone in Nerja have any good internet access? We have heard it is rubbish and have been advised to get separate wifi via someone like Nerja Solutions.com and does anyone have this and it works OK? We need speeds of at least 3mbps.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:26 pm

That sounds like a reasonable rental. The agent will tell you what is and is not included in the rental.

Car registration tax depends on the CO2 emissions - a Fiat Panda will probably fall into the 4.75% tax band so you are looking at about €150 plus other char4ges for changing lights and the MOT charges etc. Probably about €500 total but that a bit of a guess.

ADSL availibility in Nerja is good. As long as you are in the town 6 or 10mb should be OK and unlike the UK you get close to that speed most of the time. The WiFi solutions are for people out of town and they are not very fast.

We are 2km outside our town and get 3mb with no problems.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking to rent similar to one that is currently for rent on Nerja Reality in Pueblo Rocio - a 3 bed, 2 bath townhouse with communal pool. Although a 2 bed, 1 bath is fine this would be perfect and the rent is 650 euro per month which is around what we would be looking to pay but as I have not and am not in Spain renting right this moment I cannot give you a specific property, I just wanted an insight into what people pay when living in an urbanisation but it seems this doesn't appear to be possible, i know they all vary but just some examples would be good.
As for the car, thanks for the info, its good to know that we have 6 months. We have a 2005 Fiat Panda that is probably worth around £3000 and so you are saying that if we do not register this car after 60 days we will have to pay 14.75% or does it go by what type of car it is of which i'm sure i can find out somewhere.
Also, does anyone in Nerja have any good internet access? We have heard it is rubbish and have been advised to get separate wifi via someone like Nerja Solutions.com and does anyone have this and it works OK? We need speeds of at least 3mbps.
please do not think the car bit is a doddle.
if it is a uk registered car then it must have full type approval for the car against the original manufacturers specification, so it could be called a Super MOT !! They are strict, but understand that once it gets thru that initial testing it will drop down to the normal level as it will have SP plates.

I have posted elsewhere about the problems we experienced with the Super MOT about tyres, this is more complicated than in the UK although understand the UK will be changing to a similar test in the next couple of years.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago and it just ended up with members escalating into a stupid argument and my question not really getting answered and so I would really appreciate it if people who live in Nerja only would help me.
My Husband and I are trying to put together a picture of what it will cost us to live in Nerja and so we need every cost to take into consideration. We go there alot on holiday and so know what rents, shopping and petrol will cost but I need to know about other things like electric, gas, phone, internet, car tax, property rax, basura etc.
I have heard varying different rates in my last thread but some people lived in the mountains and others by the coast and so I am trying to keep it specific to the place where we want to move.
I would really appreciate anyone who can help clarify exact figures for this part of spain and this type of property. Thanks!

if you go they alot why have you not asked the locals when you are there.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Well Bill, we don't know anyone in Nerja so it would be a little weird going up to a stranger and asking what their electricity and water bill is!!!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Well Bill, we don't know anyone in Nerja so it would be a little weird going up to a stranger and asking what their electricity and water bill is!!!
get out more then, ask in the bars where the brits hang out i am sure there will be more people there to answer your question and tell you where there is property to rent.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

The best way to find out if your being charged a fair price have a look to see if other properties on the urbanisation of a similar ilk are of a similar price, contact local estate agents and ask the same questions of them, they do not know your not looking to go with them.

But would not rent a place without seeing it first where ever you are looking to rent, estate agents are not known for honest accurate descriptions and if they think you are a little green you could end up well stuffed.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

come on how are you going to make friends ??

honest and open - tell them you are considering moving to the area and you need to discuss a few things with them - if already not in one, take them into a coffe bar or wine bar and give them a drink and tapas and let the info flow

whats the worst they can do - tell you to p***s off ??

simples

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.