Reload this Page >

Please HELP advice needed for move to spain

Please HELP advice needed for move to spain

Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Rusty2k14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please HELP advice needed for move to spain

Hello,

How do i start, basically me and my partner are only 25, but we have had enough of the uk. I have recently come down with depression due to recent losses and currently building back my strength and health. We have our little boy on the way and want to be a happy family. We love the sun and love spain and would love all the help we could get to get moved over there.

Clearly as i have no money to retire i would be in need of a job and due to spain being seasonal would it be difficult for me to hold down a yearly job? I currently am head chef of a 5star hotel (money is good), but would change job in an instance if i got the chance to move and my life back.

Other BIG question's would it be the perfect environment for my baby (in my mind i say yes), and we would just prefer to rent a property instead of buying and how would we go about this.

Please any help would be appreciated, all we want is to enjoy the warmth and have our son enjoy his life and not turn out how i have become.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please HELP advice needed for move to spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

I think your big problem will be finding a job, followed by health. You surely know the dire state of unemployment in Spain
Re health-You can now pay into the Spanish system , but only after you've been resident in Spain 1 year, so you will need health insurance for that year.existing conditions are often not covered, or at a very high premium
The criteria for residency is now much stricter. You have to have an income of at least 600 euros a month and/ or 6000 k in the bank. It varies as per region.
I don't think you can claim the family allowance out here, but I stand to be corrected.
You need to have enough money put by , at least enough to survive for a year.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Although the employment situation is pretty dire here, (depending where you are), but if you're a head chef of a 5* hotel, then I'd have thought that your job prospects here would be pretty good to say the least.
You'll need to decide where in Spain 1stly. I live in the Basque country with my Basque wife, retired, so our situation is different from most ex-pats on the Costas. Basques are renowned & sought after in Spain for their cuisine. San Sebastian is full of Michelin stars/chefs, but you might prefer the milder climate down south.
You'll need to be able to speak Spanish sooner or later.
Renting is definitely the best option initially.
I'll let other expats give their advice for you, since mine might be not so applicable for your situation.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty2k14
Hello,

How do i start, basically me and my partner are only 25, but we have had enough of the uk. I have recently come down with depression due to recent losses and currently building back my strength and health. We have our little boy on the way and want to be a happy family. We love the sun and love spain and would love all the help we could get to get moved over there.

Clearly as i have no money to retire i would be in need of a job and due to spain being seasonal would it be difficult for me to hold down a yearly job? I currently am head chef of a 5star hotel (money is good), but would change job in an instance if i got the chance to move and my life back.

Other BIG question's would it be the perfect environment for my baby (in my mind i say yes), and we would just prefer to rent a property instead of buying and how would we go about this.

Please any help would be appreciated, all we want is to enjoy the warmth and have our son enjoy his life and not turn out how i have become.
Question is what will be better in Spain? Your lucky enough to have a profession where language isn't an issue, but you need to find a job first and the money has to be right. Weather alone won't make you happy and not the whole of Spain is warm and sunny all year round. You can apply for jobs online and then you'll see what happens. Even moving house in the UK can be a good change or buying something nice (home sauna, hot tub if you like it warm).
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

This may be not the best time to uproot yourself and family to another country. The challenges are really difficult when we are in the best of health. Depression is not to be underestimated as an illness, it can be quite debilitating, as you have probably discovered.

You say you have suffered losses, these take time to recover from and yet you will still feel the loss from time to time. My thought would be to keep Spain on the back burner, focus on your family, your job and very importantly your mental health. The UK itself is vast and yet familiar, spend a year or two whilst you recover building up your financial reserves and your emotional reserves, in the meantime follow the threads on here to see how others fare and also holiday in some places in Spain to get a feel for them.

You have a young son on the way, he will not know if it is the Uk, Spain or the USA or Timbuktu, so long as he has caring family.

Hello,

Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Patricia1of2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Rusty.
I understand your situation. Had a bout of depression triggered by stress at work and an unhappy home life. It was a very difficult time. I got help and am pleased to say I got it under control.
My advice. If you are not already getting help for your depression go to your Doctor!
Give yourself time to come to terms with your loss and get the depression under control.
When you are feeling better then you will be better able to make the decision to move or not. In the mean time do some research on Spain and it's different regions, keep reading the forum, it is a huge information resource. Above all do not rush into anything.
Good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
This may be not the best time to uproot yourself and family to another country. The challenges are really difficult when we are in the best of health. Depression is not to be underestimated as an illness, it can be quite debilitating, as you have probably discovered.

You say you have suffered losses, these take time to recover from and yet you will still feel the loss from time to time. My thought would be to keep Spain on the back burner, focus on your family, your job and very importantly your mental health. The UK itself is vast and yet familiar, spend a year or two whilst you recover building up your financial reserves and your emotional reserves, in the meantime follow the threads on here to see how others fare and also holiday in some places in Spain to get a feel for them.

You have a young son on the way, he will not know if it is the Uk, Spain or the USA or Timbuktu, so long as he has caring family.
Very sensible advice.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Please HELP advice needed for move to spain

Originally Posted by Patricia1of2
Hello Rusty.
I understand your situation. Had a bout of depression triggered by stress at work and an unhappy home life. It was a very difficult time. I got help and am pleased to say I got it under control.
My advice. If you are not already getting help for your depression go to your Doctor!
Give yourself time to come to terms with your loss and get the depression under control.
When you are feeling better then you will be better able to make the decision to move or not. In the mean time do some research on Spain and it's different regions, keep reading the forum, it is a huge information resource. Above all do not rush into anything.
Good luck.
Well said..we have met so many people who have moved to Spain because of marriage problems, financial problems, emotional problems over the years and they usually return to the UK worse off. Get youself together and find a job before you come to Spain. Good luck..
Old Nov 6th 2014, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any medical qualifications; neither do I have much "people skills." Being a head chef you would have some chance of a job in Spain albeit seasonal depending on where you settle. But, I cannot not get the feeling that if you leave for Spain you will be going out of the frying-pan and into the fire.

Remember, far away fields are green. The nearer you get to them more "less green" views become apparent. You are only 25 which is in your favour. Therefore, my advice:- Use Spain for holidays or retirement only; for a 25 year old the alternative wreaks of problems.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

some great advice already offered...

I would advise you and your partner to have your baby in the UK as if you were to move to Spain private health care companies state you need to be members for 6 months before they will cover you for necessary check-ups and the actual birth. If you were to find a job and start paying into the social security system immediately then you could go down that route (equivalent of NHS) and have the baby in a public hospital.

Many of my friends have had babies in the Costa del Sol hospital and say the care on the whole has been very good.

Be also aware you don't get the followup care in Spain after having a baby, i.e health visitor checks in your home, it is up to you to make appointments with a pediatrician and with a gynecologist for your wife's after care.

I know this because i gave birth to my daughter 3 years ago in Spain so am speaking from experience, initially if you don't speak Spanish you will struggle in the public system but the majority of staff at private hospitals speak English or at least have translators on hand.

The great thing about bringing up a child here is the outdoor lifestyle and the options that gives you, here on the Costa del Sol there are many mum and toddler type groups, baby swimming classes and loads more (in English) you can join with many parents in the same position as you so its easy to meet people down here.

Good luck!
Old Nov 6th 2014, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Patricia1of2 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a very helpful site for anyone looking for advice and it is free.
HOME | www.overseasguidescompany.com
Old Nov 6th 2014, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice,

I knew it would be a long shot, i currently am on the way to dealing with the depression, medical help and counciling are doing well i just feel like i was turning into a cabbage with the tablets. I wish to move just for something better for my son, i believe the uk is going to pot and while spain is not all there too at least it will be closer to a couple of family members.

It is when i am looking for jobs etc. i get stuck and unsure of where to look or who i should be really talking too

Thanks again
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice,

I knew it would be a long shot, i currently am on the way to dealing with the depression, medical help and counciling are doing well i just feel like i was turning into a cabbage with the tablets. I wish to move just for something better for my son, i believe the uk is going to pot and while spain is not all there too at least it will be closer to a couple of family members.

It is when i am looking for jobs etc. i get stuck and unsure of where to look or who i should be really talking too

Thanks again
I'll ask my friend, her and her husband own a very nice restaurant here on the CdS, she will know where to look/advertise for chefs...
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Anna Collins1
I'll ask my friend, her and her husband own a very nice restaurant here on the CdS, she will know where to look/advertise for chefs...
Thankyou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.