Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Plants from UK to Spain?

Plants from UK to Spain?

Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Shirl in Galicia is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Plants from UK to Spain?

I have a huge garden in Spain that I want to fill with various trees and plants but cant find the ones I want here. Any idea how I can import from UK suppliers?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plants from UK to Spain?

Originally Posted by Shirl in Galicia
I have a huge garden in Spain that I want to fill with various trees and plants but cant find the ones I want here. Any idea how I can import from UK suppliers?
There's normally a good reason for that - they don't survive.

However, most are available by ordering from your local garden centre (or so friends of mine have found).
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Galicia is very much like the UK for weather and plants - but a little warmer.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 6:59 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Galicia is very much like the UK for weather and plants - but a little warmer.
I have taken a few in the opposite direction, though wether or not it was legal I haven't a clue.
I would imagine the weather and conditions on the higher ground in Galicia must be very close to much of the UK.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Plants from UK to Spain?

Im virtually on the top of a mountain so very similar. Plants similar too just ant find the ones I actually want - very few garden plant suppliers] but plenty of suppliers for fruit and vegetables>>........
Old Sep 12th 2012, 8:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shirl in Galicia

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing agapanthus and hydrangeas growing wild in the hedgerows in Galicia - so perhaps they just don't regard them as garden plants!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I know you cannot buy apple trees from the Uk as they apparently all have Fireblight! Spain is a fireblight free country. Defra website might be able to help with banned flora.

You could try Ebay.co.uk for suppliers who will ship/mail or resort to seeds. I have just bought some Munstead dwarf lavender seeds as couldn't find any dwarf plants here.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Im virtually on the top of a mountain so very similar. Plants similar too just ant find the ones I actually want - very few garden plant suppliers] but plenty of suppliers for fruit and vegetables>>........
I do not know where you are in Galicia but there is a fantastic nursery on the road to Galdo.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ill check it out.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Just visit their websites to find out if and what they will supply to Spain, AFAIK there is little you can't bring in, many people from the UK visit French garden centres and take plants home, we have taken plants from Madeira to the UK in pots. I have taken seed potatoes to Spain, no problems.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the official list of plants it is prohibited to import. Spain appears in districts 1, 9, 10, 11 and 16.

LIST OF IMPORT PROHIBITED PLANTS
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Hepa is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a nursery in the U.K. that export trees etc. I have used them, most survived and some have provided fruit. The most productive is the Cox Orange Pippin, it really likes it here in the Canaries.

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/
Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get something organised for the sprint
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Hepa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get something organised for the sprint
Did you mean spring? if so that might be too late, the trees are dug up in winter when out of leaf, so that there is less stress for the plant.

They are the posted on to enable the new owners plant out before the sap starts rising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.