Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Planning to move to Spain

Planning to move to Spain

Old Apr 16th 2019, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Spuddonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to move to Spain

Hi all, in the next few months I want to relocate to Spain to be with my girlfriend. I had hoped she would relocate to Ireland but our lovely Irish weather killed that idea. I am currently trying to learn the language but progress is slow, I know that would make finding a good job difficult. My girlfriend and I want a business of our own so the only option I can see is leasing a little bar/cafe. I would love to hear from anyone with advice or experience of this as I am a little lost in all the details. But please, if your advice is don't!!! I respect your opinion but I'm only looking for constructive advice. Thanks to all for any help you can give
Old Apr 16th 2019, 6:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Spain

Do you have any experience managing a bar or café, or in the hospitality business?
Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

I don't have any experience of bar work but my girlfriend has experience in this area. I currently work for an engineering business and although it's a different field, I have experience with ordering and dealing with suppliers as well as managing staff. This would be a big change, and a challenge...I know that, but we are determined to make it work for us...so that we can be together.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 12:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spuddonthemove
Hi all, in the next few months I want to relocate to Spain to be with my girlfriend. I had hoped she would relocate to Ireland but our lovely Irish weather killed that idea. I am currently trying to learn the language but progress is slow, I know that would make finding a good job difficult. My girlfriend and I want a business of our own so the only option I can see is leasing a little bar/cafe. I would love to hear from anyone with advice or experience of this as I am a little lost in all the details. But please, if your advice is don't!!! I respect your opinion but I'm only looking for constructive advice. Thanks to all for any help you can give
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You'd do better to post in the Spain forum where there are plenty of folk who'll give realistic advice on your plans. Expats who've successfully run a bar/café business in Spain aren't forthcoming with advice on the forum....
Is your girlfriend Spanish? in which case she'll be aware of the employment situation in Spain. If Spain is as "partner-unfriendly" as France, you might do well to consider getting married. Boring things like health insurance, taxes, etc... aren't straightforward if you're two single individuals.
HTH a little, but those on the spot will advise better!
Old Apr 17th 2019, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice, I will do that
Old Apr 17th 2019, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Based in Ireland myself and actually gorgeous outside today:-). I take it your girlfriend is Spanish, so will know all the regulations and challenges of running a business in Spain?
Like anywhere it's all about location and what makes you stand out from all the others? I know a lot of Spanish here in Ireland and while many might miss their country (others don't), the majority hate the work life balance (especially wages) in Spain and would only move when they are retired, or are mortgage free and don't really have to rely on a job. There's a reason why so many move to Ireland, UK, Germany and Northern European countries, even if the winters might feel longer (depending where you're from in Spain ). Life is pretty good for us here around Galway to be honest (job opportunities & work/life balance, low mortgage) and the money we were able to save allowed us to buy some land in Spain, but we have no plans to move there permanently. We're all different but if people complain about regulations and taxes here I have to laugh, because Spain is a complete different level and it remains a retirement country. If you speak another language, or have specific skills others don't have, you might be able to secure work in cities like Madrid, Barcelona but how many more bars/cafes does Spain need?

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 17th 2019 at 12:42 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

I thank you for your advice, my girlfriend is actually from Argentina but lives and works in Barcelona. I know moving there is going to be a challenge, but it's either Spain or Buenos Aires...the boss has made that very clear haha
Old Apr 17th 2019, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I thank you for your advice, my girlfriend is actually from Argentina but lives and works in Barcelona. I know moving there is going to be a challenge, but it's either Spain or Buenos Aires...the boss has made that very clear haha
Well at least in Barcelona there are many call center jobs. Pay won't be great but might be something to start but If you are in engineering maybe there are other better paid opportunities.
Unfortunately the rental situation is just as bad there but again just depends what you are used to.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 2:41 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

How long has she been in Spain? Long enough to have checked on the feasibility of opening a successful bar/café? And understanding all the laws/rules/regulations on setting up and running one? Do post in the Spain forum, none of us who have replied live in Spain!!
Old Apr 17th 2019, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
How long has she been in Spain? Long enough to have checked on the feasibility of opening a successful bar/café? And understanding all the laws/rules/regulations on setting up and running one? Do post in the Spain forum, none of us who have replied live in Spain!!
Few live in Catalonia either + most are retired and don't need to work
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Spain and see how many bars are up for sale. If, and its a big if you manage to get a bar that stays afloat do you fancy working a 15-18 day?