Reload this Page >

Planning the move

Planning the move

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning the move

Can anyone offerr any advice please.

I am planning on moving to Spain from the UK within the next 12 months. Because my Spanish is not brilliant at the moment (I am learning though), I thought it may be better initially to try and gain employment in Gibraltar ( there seem to be jobs advertised there that I can easily do, and they dont ask for spanish speakers ), but buy/long term rent a property in the southern area of Spain within commutable distance (La Linea, San Roque). Is this realistic? Are there any problems associated with living in Spain and working in Gibraltar? Can I assume that since Gibraltar is part of the UK, that the taxes I pay on my earnings pay toward my present UK state pension?

Has anyone done this? I seem to be in a bit of a catch 22 position at present i.e To move to Spain, I need to sell my house to purchase a property in Spain, but I cant sell my house until I have a job to go to in Spain, will employers be willing to wait 3 - 6 months for my house sale to be completed? I don't think so! Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

I realise there are far more factors than that to consider however I dont want to overload the forum with really basic stuff I can probably look up when I have spare time.

Any advice gratefully received

Rick
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:17 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: Planning the move

Hi,

La Linea, San Roque areas are best for an easy trip to Gibraltar, although not my cup of tea.

You might also consider a little further back towards Marbella - Estepona/San Pedro for example. Not too 'little England'.

I do some work in Gibraltar and live just near Estepona.
Normally it takes me 45 minutes door to door although July & August expect to double that travel time.
The main problem being the queue of cars entering into Gibraltar, you can wait over an hour at the border when the queues are bad.
The only other option is to park in La Linea & walk although you'll pay for parking underground or in a metered space.

Work wise you would have no problems at all, that's how I started out as I was in the same situation as yourself and did not speak any Spanish.

Rent a cheap place while you wait for the selling of your UK property. This way you can live and work here & will naturally learn where the best place for you to set up home will be.

Hope this helps...if you need any more employment advice send me a PM - I know companies in Gib who are recruiting.

Cheers.