Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

places to visit

places to visit

Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

jbeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default places to visit

Hi. We have a holiday home in Tavira and visit often from England. We have visited Ayamonta town and Seville once before, Other than that we have not explored over the border in Spain. We enjoy places of character, tapas lunches anything else of interest. Has anyone any suggestions as we are visiting again end of september and thought we'd drive over for the day.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: places to visit

Originally Posted by jbeth
Hi. We have a holiday home in Tavira and visit often from England. We have visited Ayamonta town and Seville once before, Other than that we have not explored over the border in Spain. We enjoy places of character, tapas lunches anything else of interest. Has anyone any suggestions as we are visiting again end of september and thought we'd drive over for the day.
Have a look at http://www.infoayamonte.com/
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jbeth
Hi, a good place to visit if you like history is La Rabida. There are replica's of the 3 ships that Colombus sailed to the New World in and also a lovely Monastery where he stayed for 2 yrs whilst waiting for funding for the journey.It is just outside Huelva and is signposted on the ringroad that goes to Matalascanas. If you also go to the nearby town of Palos de la Frontera you will find good traditional restaurants. Regards Bryony
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:58 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi, a good place to visit if you like history is La Rabida. There are replica's of the 3 ships that Colombus sailed to the New World in and also a lovely Monastery where he stayed for 2 yrs whilst waiting for funding for the journey.It is just outside Huelva and is signposted on the ringroad that goes to Matalascanas. If you also go to the nearby town of Palos de la Frontera you will find good traditional restaurants. Regards Bryony
Ohhhh thank you - that sounds right up our street - will take a note and visit next time we are over - thanks once again xxx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Ohhhh thank you - that sounds right up our street - will take a note and visit next time we are over - thanks once again xxx
If you do get that far then afterwards keep on past Metalescana to El Rocio - it's quite an experience - like an old Wild West town with unmade streets and loads of hitching rails for the horses. Some eating places, too. Near the Donana National Park.
If you have a full day to fill then it's worth booking a ride in the Park in one of the off-road vehicles (there is no other vehicular access to the Park)
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:14 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you do get that far then afterwards keep on past Metalescana to El Rocio - it's quite an experience - like an old Wild West town with unmade streets and loads of hitching rails for the horses. Some eating places, too. Near the Donana National Park.
If you have a full day to fill then it's worth booking a ride in the Park in one of the off-road vehicles (there is no other vehicular access to the Park)
Oh actually friends of ours mentioned that to us this year (El Rocio) - with the year weve just had we did more chilling out than weve ever done when weve been on holiday - but come next year hopefully we'll be more up to exploring again - we'll look into the national park as well as i know all the lads would definately like the off road vehicles - i suppose i'll be watching all the kids - but a big thank you once again xxxxx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Pedras de El-Rei

Rio Tinto mine

La Rabida

Solar plant at Sanlucar la Mayor

Romeria de El Rocio

Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Great pics Fred.

Mike, when you say like the wild west towns, they were actually based on El Rocio. Don't forget the Spanish went to America from this area.

Sam, when Mike says off road vehicles he doesn't mean quad-bikes or something similar. The vehicles are huge all-terrain buses and they are driven by a guide. Its a good, but very long, slow and bumpy tour, however if they are interested in birds and other wild life its great. The best time to go is the Spring as there are lots of different birds there that come to breed. Summer is not so good as its so dry they go somewhere else. Bryony
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:17 pm
Happy in my bubble

Great pics Fred.

Mike, when you say like the wild west towns, they were actually based on El Rocio. Don't forget the Spanish went to America from this area.

Sam, when Mike says off road vehicles he doesn't mean quad-bikes or something similar. The vehicles are huge all-terrain buses and they are driven by a guide. Its a good, but very long, slow and bumpy tour, however if they are interested in birds and other wild life its great. The best time to go is the Spring as there are lots of different birds there that come to breed. Summer is not so good as its so dry they go somewhere else. Bryony
Im loving the look of those pics - thanks Mike xxx

In that case Bryony id give the tour a go - i think im a bit too fragile to be off roading nowadays - im hoping the next time we are over is Easter so we'll defo look into that - i dont think i could do a long tour on a bus in that heat anyways Bryony - some days even the car was too hot for us - thank you both xxxxx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

In that case Bryony id give the tour a go - i think im a bit too fragile to be off roading nowadays - im hoping the next time we are over is Easter so we'll defo look into that - i dont think i could do a long tour on a bus in that heat anyways Bryony - some days even the car was too hot for us - thank you both xxxxx
There are a number of visitors centres in Donana but the best by far is the Centro de visitantes Jose Antonio Valverde, it is very much out of he way but accessible by a normal car.
However top up with fuel and take plenty to drink with you at this time of the year, it's a long drive over very flat country. Spring is best when birds are nesting. If anyone is interested somewhere I have good details of how to get there.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually Fred put up the pics. You can also find them and a load more in the Photo Album thread (the sticky thread at the top)

Last edited by MikeJ; Aug 21st 2012 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:04 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
There are a number of visitors centres in Donana but the best by far is the Centro de visitantes Jose Antonio Valverde, it is very much out of he way but accessible by a normal car.
However top up with fuel and take plenty to drink with you at this time of the year, it's a long drive over very flat country. Spring is best when birds are nesting. If anyone is interested somewhere I have good details of how to get there.
Directions would be good ta xxxxx
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Oh actually friends of ours mentioned that to us this year (El Rocio) - with the year weve just had we did more chilling out than weve ever done when weve been on holiday - but come next year hopefully we'll be more up to exploring again - we'll look into the national park as well as i know all the lads would definately like the off road vehicles - i suppose i'll be watching all the kids - but a big thank you once again xxxxx
Hi Sam,
2012-2013 is the year of the El Rocio Jubilee. You may be sharing it with the Pope (not the forum member of the same name ):
http://youtu.be/r39sqSEhCdw
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bryony,
I'd wait for two years there, too, if my name were CC. It's a very tranquil place.
There are headphones to wear, if you so wish, as you tour around the various rooms.
Then, perhaps a short drive along to Móguer, and experience a copita de vino naranja? Your chauffeur may wish to visit the home of JR Jiménez to find out more about this wine.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Directions would be good ta xxxxx

These directions are from BIRDWATCHING on Spain's Southern Coast by John R Butler who I am sorry has now died.

This book is the best I have come across for the area and I recommend anyone who is interested in birds to buy a copy.
It covers Costa del Sol, Costa de la Luz, Almeria, Donana and some inland sites.

From the village of El Rocio turn right toward Almonte and
after 2 kms turn right where signed for Villamanrique. Continue
on this road for 20 kms until you reach a roundabout beside a petrol
station. Turn right here, beside the Meson de Gato restaurant, and
after 100 metres you come to another roundabout where you turn
left. Continue for 1 km and you reach a third roundabout 37°15'8.54"N 6°18'24.89"W
Where you should go straight across, toward Isla Mayor.
Follow this road for 7.5 kms until you reach a "T" junction where you should turn left. 37°12'3.99"N 6°15'42.28"W
After 9.5 kms you reach a point where the surfaced road ends and becomes a dirt road.
Take this road and after 7.5 kms you
pass a large white building, the Estacion de Bombas. Continue for
4.5 kms until you reach a turn-off to the right signed for the José
Antonio Valverde centre - 10 kms. Follow this road to the centre. 37° 4'26.50"N 6°22'38.16"W

Please disregard any other signs for the JAV centre that you may
see except this one. The dirt roads you will be travelling on can be
bumpy in places and some care needs to be taken, but they are in far
better condition than those that are described in the leaflets from `
the other visitors centres. Believe me, I know, as I travel to this site
almost daily as it forms part of one of my tour itineraries.

Fred ( me ) has added the two way points and the destination from Google Earth to assist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.