Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Place in the Winter Sun

Place in the Winter Sun

Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Place in the Winter Sun

Originally Posted by pwwm
seen some in Wigan
Yep, any of the old industrial towns; Blackburn, Middlesborough, Lincoln, Hull...

My cousin has just purchased a 3 bed semi-dettached in the area I grew up in for £90k
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:20 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I think we've come full circle and are back to the sun factor. Most people don't come to Spain for the culture or any of the other considerations, the whacking majority come for the sun.

They are prepared to put up with a foreign language and many other things that are foreign to them just to live in a healthy climate with plenty of sunshine.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I think we've come full circle and are back to the sun factor. Most people don't come to Spain for the culture or any of the other considerations, the whacking majority come for the sun.

They are prepared to put up with a foreign language and many other things that are foreign to them just to live in a healthy climate with plenty of sunshine.
Yep, some kids in Fuengirola had a good name for them, "moscas" because they lie in the sun and eat sh*t
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yep, some kids in Fuengirola had a good name for them, "moscas" because they lie in the sun and eat sh*t
I suppose some Spanish people find it unpalatable that the many foreigners in their lovely land are only here for the sun. I find it a bit unpalatable myself, but it's the pure, unembellished truth for the great majority of the 'moscas'.

By the way, the respective name calling is mutual and downright silly.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a 3 bed dettached house for £130k in the Northern English town I come from. And if you go even further North you can get even more.

Once you get away from the South East then property prices in the UK arent so different to those in Spain (excluding Madrid, Barcelona and San Sebastian)
In South Wales you can get a two/three bedroom terrace for £75-£80k, nice semi for £115 (I have three I rent out) but move not far over to Cardiff and prices are considerably higher. A similar house I own in Birmingham even now would sell quickly for £300k + and one in Winchester a fare amount more so it is all down to location and of course where you choose to live. If your happy in a small town in Wales (or Hereford, I have a little place there too I rent out) then great, if you want the amenities of a larger city then you pay for it. Same in any country. Typically though £130k is not a lot across the board in the UK.

I inherited the Winchester property and a London property but I sold the London apartment initially to fund a place in Spain but after a lot of thought I'm using it to fund more buy to rent in the UK. One very nice place in Spain with no guarantee of a future sale or three/four houses added to my little portfolio generating monthly income...the UK won.

The couple on the show would be better off buying one or two houses in the UK and using the income to fund a rental property (or in my case extended holidays) in Spain in my opinion.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin has just purchased a 3 bed semi-dettached in the area I grew up in for £90k
That sounds like it's going to be an ex council house.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:48 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, any of the old industrial towns; Blackburn, Middlesborough, Lincoln, Hull...

Originally Posted by megmet
probably where he lived before leaving the UK to avoid some sort of legal trouble.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No there were no council houses where I grew up (what snobbery). It is just very cheap to live there
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

No there were no council houses where I grew up (what snobbery). It is just very cheap to live there
Pot kettle black comes to mind.....
Old Feb 9th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Was a useful confirmation of why we don't want to live on the costa. The apartments were nice but the places were horrendous. So built up and deserted. We have already seen and discounted the finca in coin :LOL.
I thought the town house looked quite nice but we don't want to be in a town.

As for the people buying... did they actually want to buy anything, anywhere? Seemed the daughter just wanted to try celeb spotting in Marbella.

I really do not like that presenter, she makes my skin crawl.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

strangemother is just really nicestrangemother is just really nicestrangemother is just really nicestrangemother is just really nicestrangemother is just really nicestrangemother is just really nicestrangemother is just really nicestrangemother is just really nice

I think some (actually, probably at least half of the) people on these programs never really intend to go and live abroad, they probably have a vague interest but mostly just play along with the storyline to get a free holiday (and maybe some cash, not sure if they get paid too?!).
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sujee
Was a useful confirmation of why we don't want to live on the costa. The apartments were nice but the places were horrendous. So built up and deserted. We have already seen and discounted the finca in coin :LOL.
I thought the town house looked quite nice but we don't want to be in a town.

As for the people buying... did they actually want to buy anything, anywhere? Seemed the daughter just wanted to try celeb spotting in Marbella.

I really do not like that presenter, she makes my skin crawl.
Me too!
She is way too star struck for me, why are people so besotted by those in the entertainment industry anyway?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Me too!
She is way too star struck for me, why are people so besotted by those in the entertainment industry anyway?
Who is the presenter, I have not seen the programme.

Rosemary
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Strange programme. Supposed to be marbella but they didn't show them one property there Little wonder they weren't very enthusiastic! I would have called a halt to the viewings and asked why I was being taken allover the place except marbella. The only place they went to was the Marbella club Hotel and she didn't take the clients with her

Yesterdays was even dafter. A couple wanting to buy a place in one of the Virgin Isles...never been before. Every property they showed them was on the steep hills and had lots of steps. He had already said he had a back problem and receiving disability! He did seem to manage ok. though...wonder if they were watching from the local benefits office
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Strange programme. Supposed to be marbella but they didn't show them one property there Little wonder they weren't very enthusiastic! I would have called a halt to the viewings and asked why I was being taken allover the place except marbella. The only place they went to was the Marbella club Hotel and she didn't take the clients with her

Yesterdays was even dafter. A couple wanting to buy a place in one of the Virgin Isles...never been before. Every property they showed them was on the steep hills and had lots of steps. He had already said he had a back problem and receiving disability! He did seem to manage ok. though...wonder of they were watching from the local benefits office
They never seem to listen to what the people are saying. Also how often do you hear the presenters on these types of programmes saying things such as "I know that you said you did not want......but I could not resist showing you this one".

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.