Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

But do you think they realised how hot it gets in August? How were they going to earn a living?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

They claimed to have visited Seville many times so presumably they know the climate - although it's undeniably a lovely city I don't think I would want to live there because of the Summer temperatures.

They were just as woolly about ways of earning a living as they were about property prices - they'd both received redundancy payments from jobs in London so maybe the harsh reality hasn't sunk in yet!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We have probably all got horror stories about properties we were shown round as being ideal for our requirements - a good one I had was a house that was certainly cheap but the smell of damp hit you as soon as you opened the front door, and the bathroom ceiling was so low my other half could not stand upright in the shower. OK he's 6' 2" but that's not too much to expect surely? But the agent couldn't see why it should be a problem!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:05 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

We were lucky I suppose, we arrived in Jerez with just 2 suite cases and lots of information from web sites, not really what we were looking for.
While in Jerez we searched the web again and we chanced on a web site, I left the guy a email he rang back the next day, I told him our plans and he showed us a house " this is not what you have asked me for but it is what you want" we both fell in love with the house, but found it hard to tell the other HA HA any way to cut a long story short with in a week we had decided it was the place for us and brought it, with in 3 weeks we were the proud owners of a ruin, 6 months down the line and we are the proud owners of a very wonderful home a house that is "fit for purpose"
We have found a whole new community in which to live in and a full circle of friends and I hasten to add we didnt speak any Spanish when we arrived. and most of our friends are spanish, thanks DAVID, thanks to the community we live in and the fantastic gang of men that have worked on our house. I know you cant advertise on this site but the company that helped us advertises on this site, I can only say once again thanks. We have defiantly found our place in the sun.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good for you, I feel the same way about the one we eventually bought.

I got fed up with trying to deal with individual Spanish estate agents (far too slow when I was only on a week or two weeks' holiday) so I used a property finding service run by two local English residents and they were fantastic. Saw 7 houses in 2 days, all of which met our minimum requirements and were within budget, plus second viewings of two of them, and once we'd made our choice they put us in touch with a lawyer (independent of their firm), helped arrange our mortgage and pay the small holding deposit to get the house taken off the market. All done and dusted in 4 days, including going before the notary to give the lawyer power of attorney.

Sadly I don't think they're still in business so I couldn't advertise them if I wanted to!