Pets burial

Old Sep 6th 2016, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

catsndogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pets burial

Hi Not a good subject. Does any one know if it is okay to bury beloved pets on our land when they go to Pet Heaven? We have 5000 sq metres of land.
Many thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets burial

I had a Kennels business & applied to have a Pets Cemetary.This was possible for our licence was a"home for animals"However it involved lengthy discussions with the authorities including a special meeting with the local council.They requested certain rules such as ,no large headstones & no cremations,only burials.This was sensible as some people get carried away.In fact we had to stop one Italian couple who visited their pet`s grave.They lit up a giant candle to celebrate a Saint`s day & laid it on the plot.This was in the middle of summer,bone dry & surrounded by an acre of open countryside!I doubt if you would get permission if you do not have a similar animal licence.Also now,many vets.can arrange disposal.During our time,there was no such service.We sold our business & retired & the new owners strangely didn`t continue.It is difficult to detach yourself sometimes from other`s grief over a pet death.Another thing to think about.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Just do it. We have a pet cemetery in our garden.

Just dig as deep as you can and to avoid any problems with wild animals, pour in a bucket of cement.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

I like to be legal,that way you don`t have to keep looking over your shoulder.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Just do it. We have a pet cemetery in our garden. .....
Who doesn't? I just spent several hours last weekend digging a grave for our cat which has cancer and will be making a final visit to our vet this week. (I am not in Spain).
.... Just dig as deep as you can and to avoid any problems with wild animals, pour in a bucket of cement.
I have dug down about 1 metre, and prior experience tells me that is enough to avoid any problems with scavengers. I don't bother with cement.
Originally Posted by lucilastic
I like to be legal, ghat way you don`t have to keep looking over your shoulder.
The rules for businesses are often different from those for individuals. Burying animals on a commercial scale has much greater environmental implications than somebody burying Fido or Tiddles.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 6th 2016 at 2:29 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

If your pet dies at the vet´s, they won´t let you take him/her home - against the law (I think). So if you want your pet buried on your property, he/she´ll have to die there.

We buried our first dog in our garden, a hole about 2 feet down...no problem.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

I don`t think it was made clear if catsndogs wanted to have a place for other people to bury their pets.If so I think you would have to be very specific.Because ours was a commercial venture,we had a JCB that due a trench 2 mtrs.down.You get so many different requests from different nationalities.(one asked if we could conduct a Jewish ceremony)Often they like to bury a favourite toy& most want to come back at least once,often to lay a little tribute.It is after all a "cemetery"Each plot had a small headstone,one of those nice honey coloured stones,with the pets name on it,all the same to keep it simple & uniform.If you put the body in the ground & cover it in cement it`s not much different from being in a binbag on the tip,which was the previous solution.Also please remember that a sick or dead animal,here in Spain,attracts immediately literally thousands of ticks so speed is essential.The Spanish in our local mountain village would place their dead pets out on the hillside as food for crows & foxes.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucilastic
I don`t think it was made clear if catsndogs wanted to have a place for other people to bury their pets. ....
5,000sqm is only a large garden - just over an acre, so I assumed it was a question about burying their own pets, not running a pet cemetery.
.... The Spanish in our local mountain village would place their dead pets out on the hillside as food for crows & foxes.
A carcass much larger than most dogs or cats can be stripped bare, literally to dry bones, by predators and insects in as little as two weeks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 7th 2016 at 10:14 am.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

catsndogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for all info. I was only asking for our own pets. We have had a lot of rescued pets and love them all and when they go to Pet Heaven we still want them near us. Daft I know and I'm sure some of you think we are mad. The dogs we bought with us we had cremated but having had 17 adopted pets over the years proves very expensive.We still have more and I am sure there will be more to come. We have actually buried all the pets that have died but suddenly wondered if we were breaking any laws.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:10 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catsndogs
Hi thanks for all info. I was only asking for our own pets. We have had a lot of rescued pets and love them all and when they go to Pet Heaven we still want them near us. Daft I know and I'm sure some of you think we are mad. The dogs we bought with us we had cremated but having had 17 adopted pets over the years proves very expensive.We still have more and I am sure there will be more to come. We have actually buried all the pets that have died but suddenly wondered if we were breaking any laws.
My neighbour inters his pets in his very small garden and he is quite a law abiding person however as usual it also depends on the attitude of the local town hall so it would probably be better for you to ask yours. As you know everything that requires an answer in Spain comes with "it depends on your area".

Rosemary