Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pesky Caterpillars.. advice please

Pesky Caterpillars.. advice please

Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pesky Caterpillars.. advice please

Hi again all.... There is a pine tree on one of my dog walks that has three cocoons of the processionaire caterpillars in.. I do take great care to check out the ground on each walk and in fact now avoiding it, (sadly there's a stray cat nearby which I am feeding and a dog caged close to it)

My question is, what are the movements of these beasties.. I know they march (usually) in the evening, but do they march often before leaving the tree, or is it just the one march when the time comes to leave. Do they let fly their spikes only when disturbed or generally when they move...

I am worrying now to the point of distraction,, should I pay the local odd job guy to get rid of them or leave well alone, I don't want him to get hurt either.

Living nr Pinoso where it's colder here than most places, when will these critters be gone for good as we seem to be a few weeks behind everyone.

Cheers in advance for your help x
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pesky Caterpillars.. advice please

Thank you for your post which educated me a bit ;-) but as Google is your friend here is a snippet from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Processionary

Colonies are active throughout the winter months. Activity records of colonies foraging in pine forests in mountainous regions near Barcelona, Catalonia, obtained with infrared activity monitors, show that the caterpillars leave their nests soon after sunset and travel to distant feeding sites located on the branches of the host tree. Here they feed overnight then return to the nest at dawn. Observations in mid-winter show that the caterpillars forage on the coldest of nights and are able to locomote, albeit very slowly, at sub-zero temperatures. The permanent nests are typically sited to intercept solar radiation and during sunny days warm to well above ambient temperatures. The caterpillars rest in the nest during the day and at the elevated body temperatures they experience due to heating of the nest by the sun are able to efficiently digest the food they collect overnight. By March the caterpillars are in the fifth instar and are fully grown. At this time the leave their nest, following each other in long head to tail processions and seek out pupation sites in the soil.[6]

so it appears they come out every night !!!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat095; Feb 26th 2014 at 1:55 pm. Reason: typo of course
Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit if I see the nests I cut them down carefully and burn them in the Wood burner.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:52 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Its no just animals, we have nests in the pine plantation behind us.
We recently had a storm which dislodged some of them.
After clearing dead branches etc from our hedge we both found ouselves with very itchy rashes.
Checking again the hedge had loads of caterpillers.
The young son of a friend when playing golf hit his ball into the branches of nearby tree which had a nest.
A few hours later he was in tears and he could hardly open his eyes due to the swelling.
His parents took him to the clinic where they said it was a reaction against the caterpiller hairs.
Keep well away from them.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:07 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We get these horrible things every February and March despite the local council's efforts to clear them. They are especially deadly to dogs, including big dogs. We don't walk our dogs anywhere near pine trees but these little horrors can travel quite some distance when they're ready. Luckily they're easy to spot because of their bright colours and constant movement as they snake along.

The local vets are well geared up to treat their poison but you need to get the dogs to them quickly. There's a 24 hour vet hospital at Guardamar and they speak English.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

wow thanks for the info.... the little bu**ers... luckily I don't go out after sunset either... but I'm worried about the little cat and dog, they're not abandoned... well the cat probably was at some point... what horrid creatures these caterpillars are... I'll be glad when april comes.. hopefully they'll be gone by then... and taken there little spikes with them xxx
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red face Re: Pesky Caterpillars.. advice please

Originally Posted by mfh
Thank you for your post which educated me a bit ;-) but as Google is your friend here is a snippet from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Processionary

Colonies are active throughout the winter months. Activity records of colonies foraging in pine forests in mountainous regions near Barcelona, Catalonia, obtained with infrared activity monitors, show that the caterpillars leave their nests soon after sunset and travel to distant feeding sites located on the branches of the host tree. Here they feed overnight then return to the nest at dawn. Observations in mid-winter show that the caterpillars forage on the coldest of nights and are able to locomote, albeit very slowly, at sub-zero temperatures. The permanent nests are typically sited to intercept solar radiation and during sunny days warm to well above ambient temperatures. The caterpillars rest in the nest during the day and at the elevated body temperatures they experience due to heating of the nest by the sun are able to efficiently digest the food they collect overnight. By March the caterpillars are in the fifth instar and are fully grown. At this time the leave their nest, following each other in long head to tail processions and seek out pupation sites in the soil.[6]

so it appears they come out every night !!!

So am I reading right... that they only stay in the tree they're in to feed... only leaving the tree to find the soil to pupate in... so in truth,,, they only leave the tree once ?? (or am I just being daft)
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
wow thanks for the info.... the little bu**ers... luckily I don't go out after sunset either... but I'm worried about the little cat and dog, they're not abandoned... well the cat probably was at some point... what horrid creatures these caterpillars are... I'll be glad when april comes.. hopefully they'll be gone by then... and taken there little spikes with them xxx
....but back again next year maybe even in bigger numbers.
As I mentioned on another thread I spray the nest with lots of diesel if they are within reach. No risk involved, whereas chopping them down and burning them is a very hazardous procedure.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
....but back again next year maybe even in bigger numbers.
As I mentioned on another thread I spray the nest with lots of diesel if they are within reach. No risk involved, whereas chopping them down and burning them is a very hazardous procedure.
I'll have a word with Juan then... he can do that... thanks Dick xxx
Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have a word with Juan then... he can do that... thanks Dick xxx
Are they in range for easy spraying or very high up in high trees ?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

They are out during the day as well
Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:51 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by guesswork
They are out during the day as well
Usually when they are about ready to move on.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 9:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want to know everything about the beasties have a look here

http://www.efabre.net/fabre/electron...fe-caterpillar
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Are they in range for easy spraying or very high up in high trees ?
too high up Dick...
Old Feb 27th 2014, 9:03 am
On the road again.

too high up Dick...

To be serious, I wonder if those in the top of the highest trees ever leave them during their life cycle ?
New nests are back in virtually the same place every year, yet quite often nearby trees of a similar type remain unaffected.

I've fitted pine tree trunks with sticky bands before and never yet seen a trace of any moving out despite regular checks.

That was a good link from Fred J. but mostly referred to one guys research under mostly artificial conditions more than a century ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.