Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Permanent residency certificate

Permanent residency certificate

Old May 20th 2017, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent residency certificate

I am British, I was born in the UK. I have lived in Spain for about twelve years now and for most of that time I have worked on temporary contracts with Spanish employers. I also have a UK Teachers' Pension. I'm 63 so not quite yet retired.

I have one of the old style, bits of A4 paper (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión) dated as valid from 15th June 2006

I have heard that EU citizens had the right of residence in Spain after living here for five years but I just read, on a UK Government website "After five years residence registration you are entitled to apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain."

I had a quick look at a Spanish Government website which outlines the procedure for applying for this permanent residence (Certificado de residencia permanente de ciudadano de la UE).

So my understanding was that the process was automatic but it looks as though I actually need to fill in the EX18 and go to the police and prove that I have worked and whatnot.

Is that a correct reading of the situation and is it something that I need to do?

I'm sure this will have been a topic of conversation here before but I couldn't find anything that related to UK/EU citizens.
Old May 20th 2017, 5:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency certificate

My dates are very similar to yours.

My 'interpretation' on the situation is that it IS automatic. However, if you would like a piece of paper to say 'permanent' then you can certainly apply for one - but it's quite optional.

I won't be bothering as I don't need a piece of paper to say how long I've been here and that I'm not a permanent resident but I do understand that everyone is different.
Old May 21st 2017, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
I am British, I was born in the UK. I have lived in Spain for about twelve years now and for most of that time I have worked on temporary contracts with Spanish employers. I also have a UK Teachers' Pension. I'm 63 so not quite yet retired.

I have one of the old style, bits of A4 paper (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión) dated as valid from 15th June 2006

I have heard that EU citizens had the right of residence in Spain after living here for five years but I just read, on a UK Government website "After five years residence registration you are entitled to apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain."

I had a quick look at a Spanish Government website which outlines the procedure for applying for this permanent residence (Certificado de residencia permanente de ciudadano de la UE).

So my understanding was that the process was automatic but it looks as though I actually need to fill in the EX18 and go to the police and prove that I have worked and whatnot.

Is that a correct reading of the situation and is it something that I need to do?

I'm sure this will have been a topic of conversation here before but I couldn't find anything that related to UK/EU citizens.
It is automatic under current EU FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT RULES but things might change post 2019. We did ours in October just to be safe and are in an eight month queue for Irish citizenship to counter potential tax changes. The CAB Spain has lots of good stuff on this so check that out for the requirements when you go for your EX18 appointment..
Old May 21st 2017, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Seville for our residency last year, and were told it was only temporary, with a further permanent application needed after 5 years, others say that it is not necessary as it will become permanent under eu law. any Idea which is correct?
Pete
Old May 21st 2017, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Good question and one I was discussing recently with a friend who went to a solicitor and was told that the most important thing for residents is to declare for tax and establish a record of paying tax.
Having said that I did apply after my first 5 years and my green sheet does say:

....con caracter permanente en Espana....

which I think gives 'belt and braces'

None of us know what the future holds regarding rules and regs so I think belt and braces is the best policy.
Old May 21st 2017, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Good question and one I was discussing recently with a friend who went to a solicitor and was told that the most important thing for residents is to declare for tax and establish a record of paying tax.
Having said that I did apply after my first 5 years and my green sheet does say:

....con caracter permanente en Espana....

which I think gives 'belt and braces'

None of us know what the future holds regarding rules and regs so I think belt and braces is the best policy.
Also make sure you are registered on the Padron
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I had a residency ID card issued in 2005. When it was ready to expire at 5 years I went to get the green certificate and it does indeed say permanent on it (though it also says something like 'como comunitario' and of course, post-brexit, we won't be comunitarios any more).
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I had a residency ID card issued in 2005. When it was ready to expire at 5 years I went to get the green certificate and it does indeed say permanent on it (though it also says something like 'como comunitario' and of course, post-brexit, we won't be comunitarios any more).
Exactly "As a citizen of the Union" in big letters at the top..
Then at the bottom "Permanent Community Resident in Spain from ...
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Just my luck. My green bit of paper is obviously of a different design and it mentions nothing about permanency.
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have an expiry date on it?

The bank once asked to see mine and wondered why it didn't have a date. Only more recently amid brexit concerns did I notice the word permanent.
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
Just my luck. My green bit of paper is obviously of a different design and it mentions nothing about permanency.
Curious, have just checked on the web "certificado de residencia España dibujo"
and amazing to see some of the examples don't have the word "permanente" included, thought they were standard across the country
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rachelk
Does it have an expiry date on it?

The bank once asked to see mine and wondered why it didn't have a date. Only more recently amid brexit concerns did I notice the word permanent.
Mine does not , only an issue date and the date of my first residence in Spain
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting. Would it depend whether or not you got your green cert on arrival or after 5 years on expiry of the card?
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Your first residency certificate will not include the word permanent, it is when you renew it (after minimum 5 years) that the ....con caracter permanente en Espana.... is added.
Old May 22nd 2017, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spainrico
Your first residency certificate will not include the word permanent, it is when you renew it (after minimum 5 years) that the ....con caracter permanente en Espana.... is added.
Yes, I never had one initially, only once my card expired.

I'm hoping that one positive effect of brexit will be that we'll get the cards back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.