Pergola

Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough
Default Pergola

I have had 3 metal pergolas on my rooftop terrace and all 3 have been destroyed by the winter wind. they were just the frames with no fabric but apparently the wind won.

i would like to build a more permanent structure up there so it cannot be blown down. has anyone built something like this before or know whee is the best place to either purchase materials or a company they have used to build this? we have an entire piso sized rooftop terrace. we are looking into building a structure that is about 3 meters by 4 meters or maybe square 4 by 4 . it can be larger since it is a huge area up there .

somehting maybe like that or with more brick work. it has to somehow be anchored to the roof without making any holes in it so i am thinking either brick work or somehow putting the poles into cement.

i dont have a ton of money to spend on this so i am hoping to do alot of the work myself. anyone have any ideas???
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pergola

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
I have had 3 metal pergolas on my rooftop terrace and all 3 have been destroyed by the winter wind. they were just the frames with no fabric but apparently the wind won.

i would like to build a more permanent structure up there so it cannot be blown down. has anyone built something like this before or know whee is the best place to either purchase materials or a company they have used to build this? we have an entire piso sized rooftop terrace. we are looking into building a structure that is about 3 meters by 4 meters or maybe square 4 by 4 . it can be larger since it is a huge area up there .

http://img4.southernliving.com/i/200...-l.jpg?400:400

somehting maybe like that or with more brick work. it has to somehow be anchored to the roof without making any holes in it so i am thinking either brick work or somehow putting the poles into cement.

i dont have a ton of money to spend on this so i am hoping to do alot of the work myself. anyone have any ideas???
Be careful because anything more solid (bricks or concrete etc.) will need full planning permission.

I think I would build a structure such as in the picture (using 4"x4" timbers) but then set each leg in a large bucket of concrete. By using this method, you can (if required) still prove that the structure is not permanent.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Be careful because anything more solid (bricks or concrete etc.) will need full planning permission.

I think I would build a structure such as in the picture (using 4"x4" timbers) but then set each leg in a large bucket of concrete. By using this method, you can (if required) still prove that the structure is not permanent.
Beat me to it re permission
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

This would be classed as a small job though and the licence would be easy to obtain and not cost very much.

Rosemary
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
This would be classed as a small job though and the licence would be easy to obtain and not cost very much.

Rosemary
You jest, of course!!!

Many separate town halls within the Valencian region have different rules - as I know only too well.

Sometimes you have big problems getting permission for the smallest of jobs, yet at other times the biggest jobs are the easiest.

As I say, I know from experience, assume nothing will be easy and then be pleased if it is.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Fracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura about

Wife and self built this in a day, cost around Euro 400 for the wood, its seen and survived very stronge gales , its 5x5 m sqaure, you just need a chop saw and luv xxxxx.
Attached Thumbnails Pergola-dsc00895.jpg  
Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

thanks guys. there are 2 half walls that already exist up there that form a corner so i would just have build a 2 pilars that extend from the wall to accomodate the wood structure on top and then 2 metal poles or brick pilars for the 3rd and 4th side.
i did a drawing that is very bad hahaha but hopefully decipherable.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:59 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

now for a silly question...........

why must a pergola be square, my first thought on seeing above sketch was why not a triangle, alternatively why not a "shaped" square - 4 fixings one shaped top ??

think out of the box and you will suddenly realise that there are many answers that will not cost any more.

rgds
Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

ours isnt square we had only a small place near the pool so is 3x2mtr, actually for the two of us is more than ample
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
now for a silly question...........

why must a pergola be square, my first thought on seeing above sketch was why not a triangle, alternatively why not a "shaped" square - 4 fixings one shaped top ??

think out of the box and you will suddenly realise that there are many answers that will not cost any more.

rgds
the only reason I am looking at this kind of shape is because of the furniture I already have has to fit under it . we have a huge semi circle couches with a big round glass table in the middle

we would like to hang some fabric/canvas on 3 of the sides to shield from the sun but we want all the furniture to fit plus some space so it is not crowded feeling. the sun is super hot up there
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fracman
Wife and self built this in a day, cost around Euro 400 for the wood, its seen and survived very stronge gales , its 5x5 m sqaure, you just need a chop saw and luv xxxxx.
that's beautiful! it looks wonderful. was it a kit or did you make it from your own designs? 5 x 5 m would be perfect cause we have a massive area. is it better to use pressure treated wood? how much wood and supplies do i need? it is a casa de pueblo and it would be the roof of our 2 story casa. it is very open with a park in front so the wind just whips through so i hope this kind of design will last up there cause we have had a lot of pergola casualties haha. any advice or measurements you can provide me would be very appreciated. i have built some decks and a fence but never a pergola.

I saw at Bricomart they have some predone wood ones from about 300-400 but it wasnt as big as yours (i think it was 3x4m) . i am gonna go walk over there today and price out some wood and materials. i guess the posts would have to be put into maybe planting pots filled with cement and put like greenery or something around them or put fancy decor rocks on the top of the cement to make it look like a finished piece.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Fracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Fadingstarlight, compliment much appreciated.
Nop, it was not a kit , basicaly drove down to my local wood yard in Malaga to see what kind of sizes were available to suite a rustica design that I had in mind.
Yes, definatley go for pressure treated lumber , it should last for many years and be more resilient to the dreaded wood beetles / worm that are around.
With regards dimensions, the uprights are 6" dia and the roof stretchers are 4" dia, the remaining rectangular sections are approx 8"x2", sorry I could never get my head round metrification.

With regards anchoring, I have never bothered , our finca is on top of a mountain with no wind breaks or protection, trust me during the very strong winter gales it has never moved an inch, two reasons, the wind passes through the structure with no resistence and secondly , the gross weight makes it strong and sturdy, however what I have done since completing it was to fabricate ( for want of a better description) " top hat style" shoes for the base of each upright, these help prevent the ingress of water, if you want I can send you a photo of them Thursday as am in Estapona at the moment.

As I mentioned in my first post all you need is a chop saw to make nice snug joints , strong coach bolts " with washers under each and every bolt head " plus a very patient wife

We both had a lot of fun making it together and even more fun sharing a glass of tinto under it.

Our Fince is 22 km from Malaga airport up in the campo, if your passing by, by all means let me know if you want to come and see it, it would be a pleasure.

Good luck with your project