Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

People Going Back To UK

People Going Back To UK

Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:06 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: People Going Back To UK

Originally Posted by koolgirl
What I dont understand is how people think they are going to survive in spain without any work and money coming in. That must surely be the first question "how are we going to make a living"?

Most people dont seem to think it through, although i must say there are many ways to make money by using the internet, through an ebay shop or exporting to the uk and selling goods to retailers...you have to be smart and flexible because the job you do in the UK prob means nothing in spain.

I am thinking of making the move but am quite concerned about immigration and how that has effected spain and wiith crime getting so ridiculous in the uk, is it the same for spain, has it changed?
Im looking for a nice quiet, safe, friendly town, if that exists now...any suggestions?

thanks for reading
The crime rate in Spain, in my opinion, is not much different to the uk. Good areas & bad. The problem, like in the uk, is imigration control. Lots of illegal workers. When the work dries up in winter they have to turn to crime to survive. I honestly think we will need to ride out the next year in Spain before we can return with the current housing market etc...
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:08 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
The crime rate in Spain, in my opinion, is not much different to the uk. Good areas & bad. The problem, like in the uk, is imigration control. Lots of illegal workers. When the work dries up in winter they have to turn to crime to survive. I honestly think we will need to ride out the next year in Spain before we can return with the current housing market etc...
You don't think illegal immigration and work is a problem in Spain then?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:13 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Please read my post again.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:27 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think we will need to ride out the next year in Spain before we can return with the current housing market etc...

Its just a thought,I don't know but if families are on low income's in the UK they are entitled to various top up benifits,tax credit etc. has you have been working in Spain and paying into the system could there be any such benifits there,it may be worth having a look at, if you become unemployed I'm sure there are benifits you can claim if you have paid into the system,I know this would be far from ideal,just a thought.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:48 pm
Family man

Originally Posted by jandy44
Its just a thought,I don't know but if families are on low income's in the UK they are entitled to various top up benifits,tax credit etc. has you have been working in Spain and paying into the system could there be any such benifits there,it may be worth having a look at, if you become unemployed I'm sure there are benifits you can claim if you have paid into the system,I know this would be far from ideal,just a thought.
There is no such thing in Spain for families on low income in Spain. I would get unemployment benefit though if i was made unemployed.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:07 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Please read my post again.
It was more a question really, but hey ho.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:20 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing in Spain for families on low income in Spain. I would get unemployment benefit though if i was made unemployed.
If I was in your situation I would look at ways of supplementing your income,do you like dogs,there are quite a few people who return to the UK for holidays and struggle to find someone to look after their pets,you could pet sit
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
Family man

Originally Posted by jandy44
If I was in your situation I would look at ways of supplementing your income,do you like dogs,there are quite a few people who return to the UK for holidays and struggle to find someone to look after their pets,you could pet sit
I have been looking for something to make a bit extra cash but with the little one at home i don`t think pet sitting would suit. Something i could do from home on my days off would be great.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:23 pm
Straw Man.

So without reading the thread over, are you coming back because you want to or have to?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:44 pm
Family man

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So without reading the thread over, are you coming back because you want to or have to?
Bit of both. Don`t have to at the moment but we are a bit scared of the future here with a child. Also with the inflation. I was actually earning slightly more money 5 years ago than i am now. The problem is that neither of us can make our mind up.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:55 pm
Straw Man.

Bit of both. Don`t have to at the moment but we are a bit scared of the future here with a child. Also with the inflation. I was actually earning slightly more money 5 years ago than i am now. The problem is that neither of us can make our mind up.
Always a common problem.

Look I love this country, I really do, and have got into a few spats on here about people slagging it off, but when you talk about ordinary people making a go of it here then that's where I tend to draw the line.............its bloody hard.

I work for myself and the kind of work I do I get paid very well for, but because of the way I work I lose a hell of a lot in taxes, running costs, etc...........

and there is the main problem with the UK, it can hit people hard who are starting or slightly on the back foot, and I suppose its always been that way.

Is Spain any easier? No, and I know it isn't, but before people make a massive move they have to be sure they are not swapping one prison for another.

Have you thought about somewhere else in Europe? Australasia?

I am moving back to Spain next year after being away for a long time, but I dont for one second think it will be better than here.........and all too often, and we have all seen it, people think Spain or where ever, will hold the truth to their happines.

In the words of a great writer,

"The wealthiest person
Is a pauper at times
Compared to the man
With a satisfied mind

When my life has ended
And my time has run out
My friends and my loved ones
I'll leave there's no doubt

But one thing's for certain
When it comes my time
I'll leave this old world
With a satisfied mind"

If its in you to make the best of any situation then wherever you go will work, if it isn't then you are pretty much doomed to make the same mistakes wherever you go.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:31 pm
Young at heart

I have been looking for something to make a bit extra cash but with the little one at home i don`t think pet sitting would suit. Something i could do from home on my days off would be great.
I read sometime ago on here that ex-pats found it hard to find English greeting cards,you could get in touch with a card company and then host parties ( simular to tuppaware) to sell them, or maybe Avon or something like that

You can tell me to shut up I wont take offence
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koolgirl
What I dont understand is how people think they are going to survive in spain without any work and money coming in. That must surely be the first question "how are we going to make a living"?

Most people dont seem to think it through, although i must say there are many ways to make money by using the internet, through an ebay shop or exporting to the uk and selling goods to retailers...you have to be smart and flexible because the job you do in the UK prob means nothing in spain.

I am thinking of making the move but am quite concerned about immigration and how that has effected spain and wiith crime getting so ridiculous in the uk, is it the same for spain, has it changed?
Im looking for a nice quiet, safe, friendly town, if that exists now...any suggestions?
thanks for reading
Yes there are some lovely quiet friendly towns around, you just have to search and be able to judge a place well. Trouble is that having said that I fear that many of the smaller quieter Spanish towns will not have any work on offer to incomers.

Rosemary
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:58 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

The other thing to consider with regards the UK catching a cold, if your job relies on the tourist/second home industry you could well be under threat in Spain, as most investers will pull out there investments ie second homes or simply not travel as much too the golf courses.

Most expats in Spain struggle to find the job they`ve got in the first place and have usually exhausted all other options, if they were to then lose there job in Spain it doesn`t give much chance to an expat for retraining or opportunity withing a different sector.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Always a common problem.

Look I love this country, I really do, and have got into a few spats on here about people slagging it off, but when you talk about ordinary people making a go of it here then that's where I tend to draw the line.............its bloody hard.

I work for myself and the kind of work I do I get paid very well for, but because of the way I work I lose a hell of a lot in taxes, running costs, etc...........

and there is the main problem with the UK, it can hit people hard who are starting or slightly on the back foot, and I suppose its always been that way.

Is Spain any easier? No, and I know it isn't, but before people make a massive move they have to be sure they are not swapping one prison for another.

Have you thought about somewhere else in Europe? Australasia?

I am moving back to Spain next year after being away for a long time, but I dont for one second think it will be better than here.........and all too often, and we have all seen it, people think Spain or where ever, will hold the truth to their happines.

In the words of a great writer,

"The wealthiest person
Is a pauper at times
Compared to the man
With a satisfied mind

When my life has ended
And my time has run out
My friends and my loved ones
I'll leave there's no doubt

But one thing's for certain
When it comes my time
I'll leave this old world
With a satisfied mind"

If its in you to make the best of any situation then wherever you go will work, if it isn't then you are pretty much doomed to make the same mistakes wherever you go.
Very well said Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.