Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pensioners to pay for prescriptions

Pensioners to pay for prescriptions

Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pensioners to pay for prescriptions

Will this be just for Galicia or the whole of Spain. I have just read in the local paper: "Echániz believes that the implementation of new pay scales for drugs based on income will be "very nimble and quick" and said to be incorporated easily into the health card. Pensioners will have to pay between 8 and 18 euros per month".

Does anyone know whether this will apply to expats who have a Pensiona card?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensioners to pay for prescriptions

Originally Posted by battlezone123
Will this be just for Galicia or the whole of Spain. I have just read in the local paper: "Echániz believes that the implementation of new pay scales for drugs based on income will be "very nimble and quick" and said to be incorporated easily into the health card. Pensioners will have to pay between 8 and 18 euros per month".

throughout the country http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/04/18/...62_431794.html

Spanish pensioners, who currently do not have to pay for prescription medicines, will be obliged to contribute 10 percent toward them under new Health Ministry guidelines designed to slash seven billion euros from the state’s expenditure on public healthcare. The subsidy will be capped at eight euros per month for retired citizens with income of less than 18,000 euros per year and 18 euros for those that exceed that figure.
I would imagine it will apply to expat pensioners too, since you have the right to healthcare on an equal footing with Spanish pensioners

Last edited by lynnxa; Apr 19th 2012 at 5:29 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
throughout the country http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/04/18/...62_431794.html

I would imagine it will apply to expat pensioners too, since you have the right to healthcare on an equal footing with Spanish pensioners
If it didn't, I wouldn't like to be an expat pensioner swanning into the farmacia to get my medication without paying anything, in front of a shop full of Spanish pensioners who were being expected to pay up! Some of those old ladies can be pretty fierce when they want to be.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:34 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If it didn't, I wouldn't like to be an expat pensioner swanning into the farmacia to get my medication without paying anything, in front of a shop full of Spanish pensioners who were being expected to pay up! Some of those old ladies can be pretty fierce when they want to be.
good point!!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would it be any different for ex-pats?

The amount proposed will be 10% of the cost of the drugs (non pensioners already pay 40% and this will also increase to up to 60%).

The monthly cost for pensioners will be capped at €10 to €20 depending on income and there will be special rules for "chronic" sufferers who need constant medication.

There is likely to be a lot more discussion about it before it becomes law and it could be very difficult to implement.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Will the charge be for each item or per month? Also when will this new charging system happen?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Will the charge be for each item or per month? Also when will this new charging system happen?
the finer points haven't yet been worked out, but the EL País report suggests per month
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Why on earth would it be any different for ex-pats?

The amount proposed will be 10% of the cost of the drugs (non pensioners already pay 40% and this will also increase to up to 60%).

The monthly cost for pensioners will be capped at €10 to €20 depending on income and there will be special rules for "chronic" sufferers who need constant medication.

There is likely to be a lot more discussion about it before it becomes law and it could be very difficult to implement.
I think I read somewhere that the UK Government does pay the Spanish Government money. Also we are not Pensioners but have a pensioner card and I have never experienced any problems when obtaining medication at the Chemist.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I think I read somewhere that the UK Government does pay the Spanish Government money. Also we are not Pensioners but have a pensioner card and I have never experienced any problems when obtaining medication at the Chemist.
yes, the UK govt. does pay Spain for your healthcare - it pays for you to be treated as the same as a Spanish pensioner - so if Spanish pensioners have to pay then so will expat pensioners unless the UK & Spain come to a different arrangement

you have a pensioner card but aren't pensioners??
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes, the UK govt. does pay Spain for your healthcare - it pays for you to be treated as the same as a Spanish pensioner - so if Spanish pensioners have to pay then so will expat pensioners unless the UK & Spain come to a different arrangement

you have a pensioner card but aren't pensioners??
Yes, because a member of the family is in receipt of a contribution based benefit.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:58 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Yes, because a member of the family is in receipt of a contribution based benefit.
aaaahhhhhh

if I were you I'd contact the DWP & see how the new rules might affect you
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

aaaahhhhhh

if I were you I'd contact the DWP & see how the new rules might affect you
I am just going to hope that the condition of three members of our family (the OH, and 2 of our kids) will come under "chronic" as they will be on medication for life. I know that if we lived in the UK they would have an exemption card.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I am just going to hope that the condition of three members of our family (the OH, and 2 of our kids) will come under "chronic" as they will be on medication for life. I know that if we lived in the UK they would have an exemption card.
at the moment the chronically ill (non-pensioners) pay 10% here

Hasta ahora, en España, se paga el 100% de los medicamentos sin prescripción. Si son recetados, el coste se reduce, y sólo se paga un 40%. Además, si los funcionarios o los enfermos crónicos pagan un 30% y un 10% del fármaco respectivamente. El sistema español también recoge exenciones. Los medicamentos son gratuitos para personas con discapacidad grave, accidentes de trabajo y pensionistas.
http://www.abc.es/20120418/sociedad/...204181557.html

googletranslated
So far in Spain, pays 100% of prescription medications. If prescribed, the cost is reduced, and only pay 40%. Also, if the officers or the chronically ill pay 30% and 10% of the drug respectively. The Spanish system also collects waivers. The drugs are free for people with severe disability, accident and pensioners.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:41 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Going around on Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails Pensioners to pay for prescriptions-sergas.jpg  
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I see today there is talk of paying for collars, crutches, wheelchairs etc, although money might be refunded if returned in good condition.
Plus some serious charges for university education in the pipeline. I think we can expect lots of these increases on a regular basis now, Rajoy has said, "There is no money to pay for public services"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.