Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pensioner & UK Health Care

Pensioner & UK Health Care

Old May 30th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pensioner & UK Health Care

I have my card to say that I am entitled to NHS care in the UK as a pensioner. Now the point I want to make is that if I go back to stay in the UK for a few weeks say and want to get advice on an existing condition perhaps with blood tests would this be a problem? I didn´t think it would but a friend has just said that I would need to have the six months residency for this.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensioner & UK Health Care

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I have my card to say that I am entitled to NHS care in the UK as a pensioner. Now the point I want to make is that if I go back to stay in the UK for a few weeks say and want to get advice on an existing condition perhaps with blood tests would this be a problem? I didn´t think it would but a friend has just said that I would need to have the six months residency for this.
You will allegedly get the same cover as a UK pensioner that lives there permanently.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I assume your card is the UK issued EHIC card.

This entitles you to any treatment that you need for any medical situation you encounter while visiting the UK. It also0 entitles you to any treatment needed for any ongoing medical condition.

So if you NEED blood tests for that existing condition you should be entitled to them.

If the tests are not absolutely necessary then it might be considered that you should have them when you return to Spain.

That's what the rules say but as always it is open to interpretation at the local level in the UK.

Judging by how lax the NHS is at checking out entitlement to treatments, I doubt that you would have any problems.
Old May 30th 2011, 8:42 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a couple who ran a business in Spain for many years, totally legally, with total access to Spanish health care because of it. But the husband needed a complicated operation which would have meant quite a long wait under the state system, and paid a few thousand pounds to have it done privately, here in Spain.

The expensive, private operation failed and made his medical problems worse. The state system wasn't much help and they decided to return to the UK, mainly to correct the botched operation in Spain.

It has taken them two agonising years to sell both their business and home, but a tentative enquiry in the UK has indicated that they will be treated under their UK issued EHIC card, which will not cover the complicated operations that are necessary, not under the NHS which they left to live in Spain.

The couple are sticklers for doing things properly and have fully declared their situation to all the authorities concerned, both there and in the UK. The final advice is that they should sue the private Spanish hospital, and will have to pay for another operation to be performed in the UK, not under the NHS.

(The private hospital in Spain is quite prepared to try and correct the botched operation but want a ridiculous payment up front to go ahead with it).