Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pension T/Fs Halifax / Lloyds TSB

Pension T/Fs Halifax / Lloyds TSB

Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough
Default Pension T/Fs Halifax / Lloyds TSB

As you are all probably aware the Halifax currently has no monthly charges on Pension Transfers from UK to Spain, the question is if Lloyds / TSB Bank are successful with their takeover bid will they charge for the same transfer service? Currently I am informed they Lloyds charge for european monthly T/Fs £7:00 unfortunately, any advice appreciated.

Last edited by vox populia; Nov 6th 2008 at 4:47 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pension T/Fs Halifax / Lloyds TSB

Originally Posted by vox populia
As you are all probably aware the Halifax currently has no monthly charges on Pension Transfers from UK to Spain, the question is if Lloyds / TSB Bank are successful with their takeover bid will they charge for the same transfer service? Currently I am informed they Lloyds charge for european monthly T/Fs £7:00 unfortunately, any advice appreciated.
Can you not get your pension paid straight into a Spanish bank without it having to go to a UK bank first? I know you can with a public service pension (military, police etc).
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can

Oh ..... that sounds like a good catch phrase for a political party
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes you can

Oh ..... that sounds like a good catch phrase for a political party
But "No you Can't" is probably more apt!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
But "No you Can't" is probably more apt!
I know the UK private pension can be paid directly to any bank abroad.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Our pensions, UK government retirement and NHS pensions are paid direct here, no charges.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough

Sorry Guys, but the pension I am referring to is a private pension and they do not do direct transfer to Spain!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:26 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Can you open a Nationwide fex account?
If you can, have the pension paid into that account. They issue free debit cards, which they allow you to use free worldwide, including at ATM's. They give you the Visa Corporate rate of exchange, which is slightly higher than most of the other banks/finance houses I have used.
If you use the above method, it could make your pension go further.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Teachers pensions charge £1.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'am surprised having checked different banks of how much they vary on charges for transfers but what I can now confirm is that providing you use Halifax to Halifax Espania there will no charges but any future takeover by another bank cannot gurantee a change!! Thanks for the replies
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:05 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Our pensions, UK government retirement and NHS pensions are paid direct here, no charges.
My retirement pension is paid into my UK bank account because I´m rather worried that I won´t get a good exchange rate if I have it paid in €´s. I then transfer it to my stirling account here (and pay for it of course) and then change it when we need it. My question Mike is, is the exchange rate good /better if I decide to have it paid here in €´s ? I should add that OH works here and is paid in €´s

Many thanks JJ
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I'am surprised having checked different banks of how much they vary on charges for transfers but what I can now confirm is that providing you use Halifax to Halifax Espania there will no charges but any future takeover by another bank cannot gurantee a change!! Thanks for the replies
They don't make a charge but they make it up by giving a lower exchange rate.

If the takeover does go through it may well change and it is entirely possible that they may not wish to continue with foreign branches.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Th last few months I don't think I've got less than €1.27 to £1 on my state pension.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
My retirement pension is paid into my UK bank account because I´m rather worried that I won´t get a good exchange rate if I have it paid in €´s. I then transfer it to my stirling account here (and pay for it of course) and then change it when we need it. My question Mike is, is the exchange rate good /better if I decide to have it paid here in €´s ? I should add that OH works here and is paid in €´s

Many thanks JJ
If you have a government pension or State retirement pension the rate you will get is the very best on offer and, by EU law, the banks in Spain cannot charge any commission for accepting the transfer.

Many private pension schemes do allow transfers to Spanish accounts but usually with a small charge (typically £3 or £4 per transfer)

These are mainly done through the TAPS system(Transcontinental Automated Payment Service) which is run by the Bank of Scotland and like the state system, offer very good exchange rates as they buy foreign currency in bulk at the best commercial rate.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Well Fred James tapping into TAPS sounds good to me I wonder if I can do this with Halifax as it is part of BOS???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.