Pension Plans

Old May 23rd 2011, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension Plans

Hi. I'm looking for some advice on pension plans. I've got a pot built up in the UK which i'm planning to leave there and start a new pot here as I'm planning to stay.

Any advice would be much appreciated....
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:02 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension Plans

Originally Posted by Kayak
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on pension plans. I've got a pot built up in the UK which i'm planning to leave there and start a new pot here as I'm planning to stay.

Any advice would be much appreciated....
I, personally, would QROPS it so you can be in charge of 'where & how it is spent'.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:50 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I, personally, would QROPS it so you can be in charge of 'where & how it is spent'.
Dont take this the wrong way snikpoh but from what I have seen on this subject on and off over the last year or so, it can be fraught with problems and is certainly not the answer for all people. You may be right, you may be wrong .... who knows

To the OP, you really need professional advice on this as there will be so many different opinions. Snikpoh will say Qrops, I will say property, someone else will say something else.

But as recent events show, we could have all been wrong so theres no easy answer. My daughter is talking about starting a pension right now ... I really dont know what to tell her other than I will probably end up being her pension, if I'm careful not to spend it all
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Dont bring your money to Spain! For me I`d buy a UK or Gibraltar property and let it , theres nothing safer in my view
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzy, no problem.

I actually agree with both you and Rotor but the issue is how to release the pension pot in the first place - only then can it be spent on property (which is what I would do).

To release the funds, probably the only way that I know of is QROPS. As you say, not for everyone but the associated fees have tumbled recently and you can certainly release 25% straight away and possibly all of it if you meet the tax criteria.

As said, seek professional advice
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:13 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Dont bring your money to Spain! For me I`d buy a UK or Gibraltar property and let it , theres nothing safer in my view
Problem with having your income sterling based, and living in another country with a different currency, is you lose out big time if your currency depreciates - as others on this forum have found out. Of course, if the pound were to gain in value... but none of us have a crystal ball...if we had, we'd have all bought Linked-In shares last week. Plus the outlook for property prices outside London is currently looking grim. Still, they're predicting Northern Rock will soon be back in private hands- do you like to gamble? I used to think oil company shares were the safest to go into, but I don't suppose shareholders in BP would agree now. IMO Mitzy's right - get professional advice, but hedge eg if the advice is to buy X, do so, but keep 10-20% invested elsewhere.
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pension Plans

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Hi Mitzy, no problem.

I actually agree with both you and Rotor but the issue is how to release the pension pot in the first place - only then can it be spent on property (which is what I would do).

To release the funds, probably the only way that I know of is QROPS. As you say, not for everyone but the associated fees have tumbled recently and you can certainly release 25% straight away and possibly all of it if you meet the tax criteria.

As said, seek professional advice
What about a SIPP?
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Sound advice from Mitzy. QROPS is attractive for the jam today bread tomorrow people. Lured by the lump sum they take advice from dodgy British financial advisors in Spain. Their pension pot is sometimes invested in off-shore companies set up for the purpose...some have gone bust already. Charges are massive too.
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

DaveyD is an unknown quantity at this point

The bottom line is that you have not given us anywhere near enough information for anyone to make a fair assessment in laymans's terms with regards to what or is not achievable here. To simply say that QROPS would be a good option for you to consider without knowing the correct details is both irresponsible and dangerous (SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 23rd 2011 at 2:27 pm. Reason: Do not link to your site in the forums please
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:58 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Davey, is the Tumbit blog yours? I ask because out of 24 posts you have linked to it at least 12 times. A lot of the topic you have linked to are in free beer on this site. It's not a very good one either.

Last edited by jackytoo; May 23rd 2011 at 2:01 pm.
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Davey, is the Tumbit blog yours? I ask because out of 24 posts you have linked to it at least 12 times. A lot of the topic you have linked to are in free beer on this site. It's not a very good one either.
Didn`t this come up before about always promoting his site ?
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:21 pm
Banned

I may have mentioned it...dunno. I have noticed it though. Funny how some get away with it
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I may have mentioned it...dunno. I have noticed it though. Funny how some get away with it
No, it's not .... I just hadnt picked up on it as I thought this was just a link. On further investigation I have realised who it is, and the site belongs to them.
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No, it's not .... I just hadnt picked up on it as I thought this was just a link. On further investigation I have realised who it is, and the site belongs to them.
Mmmm I must check back and see if you gave me a bollocking for mentioning it before.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
What about a SIPP?
Be very careful with any of these fancy UK tax efficient schemes such as SIPPs and ISAs.

The may have tax free benefits in the UK but if you are tax resident in Spain the rules may be completely different. ISAs are taxable in Spain and even the lump sum payment from a UK pension plan is taxable.

Even a UK premium bond win is taxable in Spain!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.