Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pension Credits?

Pension Credits?

Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension Credits?

Does anyone know if Pension Credits can be claimed when you live in Spain.
I believe from what I have read that you can only claim if you live in U.K.
If you are entitled to claim in the U.K.because you are in circumstances which do not allow you to work any more but have contributed all of your working life (35years) but do not reach retirement pension for another 4 years.
Surely just because you live outside the U.K. should this matter or make any difference?
Can anyone comment otherwise.
Kind regards
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension Credits?

Originally Posted by BigD
If you are entitled to claim in the U.K.because you are in circumstances which do not allow you to work any more but have contributed all of your working life (35years) but do not reach retirement pension for another 4 years.
Surely just because you live outside the U.K. should this matter or make any difference?
Kind regards
My wifes pension credits were stopped when we moved here.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Kind regards
Well its a bit like your health benefits finishing if you are not retired. You can't really expect to move to another country and carry on claiming UK benefits. I'm not sure about pension credits, but I suspect you can't claim them.

Incidentally, on another forum I was told by a poster that she was well aware of numerous English people living in Spain who were still claiming many benefits that they shouldn't in the UK. Personally I think its appalling.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:31 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Pension Credits?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Incidentally, on another forum I was told by a poster that she was well aware of numerous English people living in Spain who were still claiming many benefits that they shouldn't in the UK. Personally I think its appalling.
I've heard of people claiming disability allowance and also child benefit. I think it's appalling too. Shame on them but I guess they may get caught one day and have to pay back all the money they have DEFRAUDED from the UK tax payer. I don't think they have any conscience in the meantime though.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:20 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pension Credits?

Kind regards
Hi all!
Good question BigD! I would think the best place to advise you would be the pension office. I always found them most helpful when dealing with queries on my Mum's pension. I don't know the answer to this question but this does raise a very interesting point doesn't it?
If the stipulations advise that you must be resident in the UK then fair enough. Yet people from abroad who live in the UK are entitled to certain benefits if "resident"
But, if you are of pensionable age, then you would recieve your pension as a matter of right no matter what country you live in.
Now, pension credit is dealt with by the Pension office, therefore surely any additional credit as paid by them would also be payable with your pension based on "payments already made from you income", and not as a "benefit" by the DSS which quite rightly should not bear you any entitlement.
So why, then, should you not be entitled to pension credit?
And if you are "resident" as opposed to a "Spanish citizen" who should you approach for assistance, as technically you are in a "no mans land".

I would be as interested as you BigD, to know the answers!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
I've heard of people claiming disability allowance and also child benefit. I think it's appalling too. Shame on them but I guess they may get caught one day and have to pay back all the money they have DEFRAUDED from the UK tax payer. I don't think they have any conscience in the meantime though.
I've heard that, and they only get them because they ahve kept an address in the UK, doesn't matter whose address, but you just have to have one for them to contact you.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisw
Hi all!
Good question BigD! I would think the best place to advise you would be the pension office. I always found them most helpful when dealing with queries on my Mum's pension. I don't know the answer to this question but this does raise a very interesting point doesn't it?
If the stipulations advise that you must be resident in the UK then fair enough. Yet people from abroad who live in the UK are entitled to certain benefits if "resident"
But, if you are of pensionable age, then you would recieve your pension as a matter of right no matter what country you live in.
Now, pension credit is dealt with by the Pension office, therefore surely any additional credit as paid by them would also be payable with your pension based on "payments already made from you income", and not as a "benefit" by the DSS which quite rightly should not bear you any entitlement.
So why, then, should you not be entitled to pension credit?
And if you are "resident" as opposed to a "Spanish citizen" who should you approach for assistance, as technically you are in a "no mans land".

I would be as interested as you BigD, to know the answers!
I dont think they know themselves, as usual.
Another strange one is, if you apply for heating allowence at age 60 and get it in the UK and then move to Spain it follows with you.
If you apply from Spain you dont get it, although it is a pension benefit and all pension benefits should cover the EU.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:07 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Pension Credits?

Originally Posted by jdr
I dont think they know themselves, as usual.
Another strange one is, if you apply for heating allowence at age 60 and get it in the UK and then move to Spain it follows with you.
If you apply from Spain you dont get it, although it is a pension benefit and all pension benefits should cover the EU.
Hi Jdr!
Looks like anothwer case of political cherry picking again doesn't it
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:11 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh

Just to point out that you CAN continue to claim Long-Term Incapacity Benefit in Spain if you were in receipt of it in the UK.