Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Penal code change for Drivers

Penal code change for Drivers

Old Dec 22nd 2007, 1:20 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Penal code change for Drivers

Changes in the Penal code came into effect last week which now means that any driver caught without a validated license now faces imprisonment.

It also states that "Those who drive without valid driving licenses-whether they have lost all their points, never had a license, have a license from another country that has not be validated in Spain or have had their licenses removed by the courts could know face prison sentences as well as fines.

The law allows drivers until the 1st of May 2008 to get it sorted or risk the punishment.

I know we don`t think they`ll put people in prison for having a UK license, but the new penal code gives this guideline to judges.

No Spanish license : Drivers without a valid license will face between three and six months imprisonment or prohibition on driving for between one and two years with 90 days community service.

Following after Mitzys thread on licenses i think it will be important for Expats to ensure their licenses are validated in Spain or better get a Spanish license as the authorities may well target Expats.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penal code change for Drivers

Originally Posted by lee8
Changes in the Penal code came into effect last week which now means that any driver caught without a validated license now faces imprisonment.

It also states that "Those who drive without valid driving licenses-whether they have lost all their points, never had a license, have a license from another country that has not be validated in Spain or have had their licenses removed by the courts could know face prison sentences as well as fines.

The law allows drivers until the 1st of May 2008 to get it sorted or risk the punishment.

I know we don`t think they`ll put people in prison for having a UK license, but the new penal code gives this guideline to judges.

No Spanish license : Drivers without a valid license will face between three and six months imprisonment or prohibition on driving for between one and two years with 90 days community service.

Following after Mitzys thread on licenses i think it will be important for Expats to ensure their licenses are validated in Spain or better get a Spanish license as the authorities may well target Expats.
The biggest problem with any licencing law is how it is interpreted by the policeman who stops you. We changed to Spanish licences purely because there are less Brits in this area so we thought that the police may have little or no experience of UK licences and we wanted to avoid any difficulties that this may cause.

Rosemary
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:08 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

They seem to really target the British, they really don't like them. I got pulled over the other day for talking on my mobile and I still have my German plates and a German DL and they really didn't say anything, other than fork over the cash dude

I haven't bothered registering the car here as I teach English in Madrid and it give me "free" parking

I use my DL as ID all the time for CC purchases but I've talked to friends who have to carry their passports with them at all times as British DL are not accepted as ID

weird

As an aside it's been a year since I started the process to registar and no end in sight. Thankfully you don't need a residence permit to live or work in Spain
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:14 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there's gonna be more peeps joining my outlaw gang then!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:17 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
Looks like there's gonna be more peeps joining my outlaw gang then!
What's the gang called Pete?

You know the rep of a gang can be made of broke by what its called.

However scary they may be, the Russian Mafia gang called the Potato Bag Gang just don't fill me with dread.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how they can prosecute for haing a non spanish license, EC law which overides local law stipulates that any member of an EC country can use his national license to drive in any other EC country.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:57 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What's the gang called Pete?
Haven't got a name yet Matt......but people need to know we're Guiris who've been pushed too far! And now we're back.....and out for vengeance!
We've got illegal Sky viewing cards.....and we're not afraid to use them!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
I don't see how they can prosecute for haing a non spanish license, EC law which overides local law stipulates that any member of an EC country can use his national license to drive in any other EC country.
I understood you could use your national licence to drive in any EC country, but if you choose to live in that EC country then you also have to abide by any additional local laws.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:40 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
Haven't got a name yet Matt......but people need to know we're Guiris who've been pushed too far! And now we're back.....and out for vengeance!
We've got illegal Sky viewing cards.....and we're not afraid to use them!
How about the Sin vergüenza's?
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Penal!!!

You got me a tadge excited then

Never mind
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe King
I understood you could use your national licence to drive in any EC country, but if you choose to live in that EC country then you also have to abide by any additional local laws.
YES Its in the free beer thread.............................
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:37 pm
Banned

lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
YES Its in the free beer thread.............................
Has it been updated for the new penal code`s.

Sorry i just like writting Penal
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Mee TOOO! I know very childish!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Post a link, but not in your handwriting and I will include it. ;-)
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Post a link, but not in your handwriting and I will include it. ;-)
Who will you accept.

You can find it in this weeks Sur on line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.