Pellet Stoves

Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pellet Stoves

I've got friends in the States who use them to run central heating and they love these stoves. You can also burn corn in some of them.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
We had a pellet burner put in a fortnight ago. It's great!! You just set the timer and let it dot's stuff. The only thing I find slightly annoying is that it is quite noisy. We paid 1800 euro, but it heats the whole house. Our pellets cost us 3 euro for a 15kg bag.
Do you know that this is the same pellets that they use for central heating boiler? Will these pellets create soot or dust after they are burnt? I`m looking forward to my new house with central heating using pellets. How long will a 15kg bag last?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Just be careful where you store them!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

We had a pellet burner put in a fortnight ago. It's great!! You just set the timer and let it dot's stuff. The only thing I find slightly annoying is that it is quite noisy. We paid 1800 euro, but it heats the whole house. Our pellets cost us 3 euro for a 15kg bag.
wish my landlord could afford just the one.
we have a typical spanish new build, poured concrete frame, single brick wall, no insulation, ceramic floor tiles, but no heating. The room sizes are large as are the windows, they leak heat in every direction.
as a kid, in the winter our house was freezing, the condensation froze on the Crittall windows - and that was in sunny Hertfordshire.
here we are spending a fortune on electric and gas, but I am hoping that the build method and materials mean we will have a nice cool house in the summer.

just would be nice to have a fire to snuggle up next to.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Do you know that this is the same pellets that they use for central heating boiler? Will these pellets create soot or dust after they are burnt? I`m looking forward to my new house with central heating using pellets. How long will a 15kg bag last?
Yes they are, we did consider the central heating type, our friends have it and it is very efficient. In the cold weather we have our fire on for about 10 hours a day set at 24 degrees and it uses about a bag of pellets a day. Our house is about 200sqm and the pellet burner and the heat from our AGA keep the house very comfortable. You have to hoover the dust out of the burner once every 2 days, there is very little dust. It is very clean.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
wish my landlord could afford just the one.
we have a typical spanish new build, poured concrete frame, single brick wall, no insulation, ceramic floor tiles, but no heating. The room sizes are large as are the windows, they leak heat in every direction.
as a kid, in the winter our house was freezing, the condensation froze on the Crittall windows - and that was in sunny Hertfordshire.
here we are spending a fortune on electric and gas, but I am hoping that the build method and materials mean we will have a nice cool house in the summer.

just would be nice to have a fire to snuggle up next to.
I would have thought that single brick walls, no insulation and large windows would mean that a house will be very hot indeed in summer. The Spanish traditionally built their houses with thick walls and very small windows - for a reason.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:08 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I would have thought that single brick walls, no insulation and large windows would mean that a house will be very hot indeed in summer. The Spanish traditionally built their houses with thick walls and very small windows - for a reason.
with emphasis on the "built" (in the past tense), nowadays they are using the single wall, no insulation and lots of glass for their new builds, there are several round here like that - mostly unfinished as they have run out of money so we can see what is going up.....
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
with emphasis on the "built" (in the past tense), nowadays they are using the single wall, no insulation and lots of glass for their new builds, there are several round here like that - mostly unfinished as they have run out of money so we can see what is going up.....
Yes, I know that's how they throw them up nowadays - point is, they're difficult to heat in the winter and hard to keep cool in the summer, thus uncomfortable to live in for much of the year. As you have the advantage of being a tenant, if I were you I'd be looking for somewhere else before your present contract runs out.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Yes, I know that's how they throw them up nowadays - point is, they're difficult to heat in the winter and hard to keep cool in the summer, thus uncomfortable to live in for much of the year. As you have the advantage of being a tenant, if I were you I'd be looking for somewhere else before your present contract runs out.
this is and always has been a temporary respite, but in a Spanish market town, which we are using as a base to look for the ideal home, but at the moment it is convenient for the BH to get to work.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this
How long does your bag of pellets last...and how big is the house?
Is the stove connected to a wet system or is it just a stove? This will really help the rest of us who are considering it, decide 'to pellet or not to pellet'
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Thanks for this
How long does your bag of pellets last...and how big is the house?
Is the stove connected to a wet system or is it just a stove? This will really help the rest of us who are considering it, decide 'to pellet or not to pellet'
A bag of pellets lasts us about 10 hours with the fire set to 24 degrees (10kwt fire). This is with the fire on constantly. Our house is about 250sqm and we have the fire centrally located. It does not have radiators attached to it. We also have an AGA cooker in the kitchen. Between them both the house maintains about 22 degrees. Our house is all on one level and we keep all the doors open.
Old May 7th 2012, 12:39 am
Just Joined

freeway is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cazzy1
Can you tell me where you purchase your pellets from please.
Many thanks.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
I saw one in LM and nearly weed myself. 2,400 euros. We paid 800 for a good quality stove that burns wood. We therefore can burn any old bit of wood from the garden etc. I reckon that just to heat the house, on a bad winter, 300 euros. How much will pellets save? To know that I'd need to know weight for weight the difference in price. Think about it tho, if you save a third, it will take 16 years to amortise that. If it halves your fuel bill, ten years.

That's a hell of a payback time IMO. I accept that if you can get hot water, the saving is greater, but I look at the plumbing I would need to install, and my heart sinks.
I have to agree with bil. A wood burner with an internal flue is cheaper to buy, the fuel is easier to source and cheaper per kg,( we get olive wood for 13 CENTS a kilo) the internal flue pipe gives a huge amount of extra heat. Friends of ours have an internal flue, which is hidden by stone cladding, the effect of this, is the stone and the walls heat up and act like a storage heater and there is still warmth in the room in the morning.
For hot water, a gas water heater is more practical, instant hot water and you don't have to light the fire during summer, nor do you have rip great big channels in the walls to install flow and return pipes to the fire. (town gas is cheap and if you can't have a mains supply, a butane bottle is only 15 euros and lasts for weeks.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Where abouts are you FREEWAY?

We have solar hot water and only use the pellet burner for heating!! Best two things we have ever bought in Spain!!