Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Paying a dentist bill

Paying a dentist bill

Old Jun 1st 2017, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying a dentist bill

Having had toothache for a couple of weeks on Monday I went to a dentist I haven't used before and he decided that a tooth needed extracting. I had an anaesthetic and after a couple of minutes he began removing the tooth. That went okay but throughout the process he was pressing very heavily on my bottom lip pressing it against my bottom row of teeth. After the extraction he said my teeth were covered in plaque and needed a good clean.
I went to the reception to pay and was surprised that I couldn't use my card as they said they only accepted cash. They said I could pay when I returned on Wednesday for teeth cleaning.
Anyway later that day as the anaesthetic began to wear off I became aware that my bottom lip was very sore. Looking in a mirror I saw that there was a row of white and red ulcer type sores along my bottom lip.
Consequently I returned on Tuesday and the dentist said he thought they has been caused by the pressure he had applied during the extraction and I was advised to get some ointment from a pharmacy which I have been applying several times a day since then.
Needless to say I didn't go back for teeth cleaning on Wednesday as my mouth was still very sore and I didn't relish the thought of going to the same dentist.
So, the position is, I haven't paid this bill and am very tempted not to do do which goes against my ethics somewhat, but I'm so annoyed by what happened.
I haven't had a telephone message about paying the bill yet, but my question is what would you do? Pay up and not go there again or take a stand and not pay?
Thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying a dentist bill

Originally Posted by Biffta
Having had toothache for a couple of weeks on Monday I went to a dentist I haven't used before and he decided that a tooth needed extracting. I had an anaesthetic and after a couple of minutes he began removing the tooth. That went okay but throughout the process he was pressing very heavily on my bottom lip pressing it against my bottom row of teeth. After the extraction he said my teeth were covered in plaque and needed a good clean.
I went to the reception to pay and was surprised that I couldn't use my card as they said they only accepted cash. They said I could pay when I returned on Wednesday for teeth cleaning.
Anyway later that day as the anaesthetic began to wear off I became aware that my bottom lip was very sore. Looking in a mirror I saw that there was a row of white and red ulcer type sores along my bottom lip.
Consequently I returned on Tuesday and the dentist said he thought they has been caused by the pressure he had applied during the extraction and I was advised to get some ointment from a pharmacy which I have been applying several times a day since then.
Needless to say I didn't go back for teeth cleaning on Wednesday as my mouth was still very sore and I didn't relish the thought of going to the same dentist.
So, the position is, I haven't paid this bill and am very tempted not to do do which goes against my ethics somewhat, but I'm so annoyed by what happened.
I haven't had a telephone message about paying the bill yet, but my question is what would you do? Pay up and not go there again or take a stand and not pay?
Thanks.
I think I would approach the dentist and state your discontent with what happened and discuss a discount or FOC.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 12:36 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

what would you do?
Pay the bill and find another dentist.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely pay the bill I would say or YOU could be at fault.But PLEASE give us the name of the dentist-- as I need one soon & my usual one has retired!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I did read somewhere that there are many 'dentists' who are not qualified to practice. Apparently this is an area where Spain lacks any real regulation. If he is not qualified I would be very tempted not to pay and consider reporting him (local town hall).
Old Jun 1st 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. Expect I will reluctantly pay-up despite still suffering from the mouth sores. Will not return to this particular one and sorry I'm reluctant to name and shame him publicly.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you go for regular dental check ups. Of not you are just storing bigger bills for the future. Get your teeth cleaned by a dentist of your choice.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by geoff52
Do you go for regular dental check ups. Of not you are just storing bigger bills for the future. Get your teeth cleaned by a dentist of your choice.
No I don't and of course you're correct. It's always, oh I must make an appointment for a checkup, then never do it, until of course toothache starts. So a guilty plea on that one!
WILL be going to another one for a proper checkup, but as I have a couple of these painful ulcer/sores on my bottom lip as a result of the last buffoon I saw I can't see it being until they're gone.
Thanks.

Last edited by Countryboy1; Jun 2nd 2017 at 8:32 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 10:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience regular attendees require more treatment. I have only been to a dentist half a dozen times in the last 40 years (last time was in 1998), have all my teeth, only 1 filling (well a rebuild of a chipped tooth) & no problems.

Wish I hadn't said that now, tempting fate!
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expatrick
In my experience regular attendees require more treatment. I have only been to a dentist half a dozen times in the last 40 years (last time was in 1998), have all my teeth, only 1 filling (well a rebuild of a chipped tooth) & no problems.

Wish I hadn't said that now, tempting fate!
I still believe a regular checkup is a good thing even though I haven't followed my own advice! One thing though is when I have been for checkups I can't recall any visit where the dentist hasn't found some problems needing attention which of course means more income!
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I still believe a regular checkup is a good thing even though I haven't followed my own advice! One thing though is when I have been for checkups I can't recall any visit where the dentist hasn't found some problems needing attention which of course means more income!
Precisely! Similarly, try escaping an opticians without buying glasses!
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 7:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses. Expect I will reluctantly pay-up despite still suffering from the mouth sores. Will not return to this particular one and sorry I'm reluctant to name and shame him publicly.
IMO tooth removal is a fairly brutal if not down-right medieval process, so while I would hope that a dentist would show as much care as possible, I think that some bruising or abrasion to nearby soft tissues isn't entirely unreasonable when a tooth is being extracted.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The tooth extraction sounds like it was successful apart from some bruising on your lower lip.

As Pulaski says tooth extractions are not always easy and some soft tissue damage could be expected.

Pay the bill, and go to another dentist if you are not 100% happy with this one.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The tooth extraction sounds like it was successful apart from some bruising on your lower lip.

As Pulaski says tooth extractions are not always easy and some soft tissue damage could be expected.

Pay the bill, and go to another dentist if you are not 100% happy with this one.
Think the extraction was successful, although now getting more toothache albeit in a slightly different area than before. Great! I've had quite a few extractions over the years and this is the first time I have ever sustained sores and ulcers on my lip! Nearly a week now and they're still there and although seem to be reducing, they are sore and make eating awkward. Brushing my teeth is still somewhat of a nightmare as the handle and the bristles catch the ulcers.
I'm relaying all these woes, not for sympathy but out of anger really that an extraction has led to these subsequent problems. Also, back to the pharmacy this morning for some more gel to apply to the sores. More money!