Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pay as you go phones being cut off 1st Oct

Pay as you go phones being cut off 1st Oct

Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

moblies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pay as you go phones being cut off 1st Oct

I have a a holiday home in Costa Blanca and use a Spanish Vodafone Sim, I notice in the Coastrider newspaper as of October Unregistered Spanish Mobile numbers will be cut off. Unless you register your passport and Padron. I dont live full time in Spain so have no Padron. I guess I'm up the * creek without a paddle.

and will have no phone after October
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay as you go phones being cut off 1st Oct

Originally Posted by moblies
I have a a holiday home in Costa Blanca and use a Spanish Vodafone Sim, I notice in the Coastrider newspaper as of October Unregistered Spanish Mobile numbers will be cut off. Unless you register your passport and Padron. I dont live full time in Spain so have no Padron. I guess I'm up the * creek without a paddle.

I'm not doubting your word, but I find that hard to believe. There must be thousands and thousands of payg mobiles used by expats and holidaymakers....... what would be the reasoning behind cutting them off?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Do you think they might mean registered with Vodafone rather than with ‘the authorities’? I can’t see a commercial company cutting dead a cash cow like mobile phones.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pay as you go phones being cut off 1st Oct

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm not doubting your word, but I find that hard to believe. There must be thousands and thousands of payg mobiles used by expats and holidaymakers....... what would be the reasoning behind cutting them off?
Anti terrorist measures from Government. Something like this already applies in UK and USA.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

I agree, story on www.coastrider.net

It's hard enough me remembering to top the thing up without losing it altogether.

Certainly wont do the Telephone providers much good.

I assume a Passport, proof of address in Spain and a visit to the local Vodafone shop might do
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:30 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Please register in the padron even if non resident as it benifits everyone. That is how they allocate funding for services ie. police, doctors etc....
You never know when you will need them.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked the wifes and noticed on the application form we had to fill in the passport number so assume that will suffice
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

CBANDY,

I've never been to sure about doing this and how to go about it, Is it easy? are there any Tax implications etc. I understand from my Fiscal rep that it wasn't neccesary.

I'm over next month I could do it then.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:36 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Law was brought in, I think, last October and it is a security issue. People buying PAYG should have been supplying DNI/Passport no, name, DOB and address. I had to buy a few in May for staff and was indignant at having to give this info. Gave it in the end but didn't have to produce proof - although I suspect that was an error on their part
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

I recently had to buy a new phone with SIM card and was asked to give an address and show my Passport (British) . The girl in the shop had one look at what I had given for my address and started to giggle - I later discovered that the name had a double meaning. Apart from showing my Passport I did not need any "certificate of empadronamiento". I think that the journalist who wrote the piece should be asked to provide a follow up story as soon as possible. Based on actual facts and from creditable sources etc etc....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:46 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

It is correct Nige.

The DNI card carried by Spaniards provides their current address ie where they are empadronado. Our passport does not. So, if the assistant is vigilant she should ask those without DNI to provide proof of current Spain address (don't know if utility bills are ok but you'd need empadronomiento anyway to have those)
Like I say, I wasn't asked to prove anything but I suspect that will tighten up.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:49 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

CBANDY,

I've never been to sure about doing this and how to go about it, Is it easy? are there any Tax implications etc. I understand from my Fiscal rep that it wasn't neccesary.

I'm over next month I could do it then.
Don´t know of any tax implications as we live and work in spain but i think all you need to do is take your passport and title deeds to the town hall.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Like most "citizen control" laws it will only affect the law biding citizen, if terrorists are prepared to die for their cause the I`m sure they wont have a problem registering their SIM before attaching their phone to a detonator

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:39 pm

Totally agree Rotor, but IMHO they are using islamic extremist terrorism as an excuse to monitor all activity.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:40 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Totally agree Rotor, but IMHO they are using islamic extremist terrorism as an excuse to monitor all activity.

Noooooooooooo ....... I can't believe they would try something underhand like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.