Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Passport Sticky

Passport Sticky

Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:20 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Passport Sticky

I have just completed the passport survey that Sue has notified us on. Have you?
They look as if they want to charge us for consulate services. I don’t like the idea. Do any other counties charge to consulate services?
More cut backs form the U.K., living abroad and you still can't escape them!
One good thing that comes out of the survey is that they donate £10 to UNICEF for every survey.

Thanks now I have got that off my chest

Ian
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Sticky

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I have just completed the passport survey that Sue has notified us on. Have you?
They look as if they want to charge us for consulate services. I don’t like the idea. Do any other counties charge to consulate services?
More cut backs form the U.K., living abroad and you still can't escape them!
One good thing that comes out of the survey is that they donate £10 to UNICEF for every survey.

Thanks now I have got that off my chest

Ian
I filled it in, more to get the donation for UNICEF that to give them ideas about what might or moight not be acceptable to charge for passports. Lost track of all the services that could/could not be available depending on what you were prepared to pay. Hopefully I will only need them for passport services.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:13 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I did the same as above for the same reasons.

If we have a spanish residencia card, do we still have to use our passports when going back to the UK ?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Passport Sticky

Originally Posted by gallerie9
I did the same as above for the same reasons.

If we have a spanish residencia card, do we still have to use our passports when going back to the UK ?
Hi gallerie9,

Unless you want untold hassle I wouldn't attempt to travel to UK without a valid passport complete with visa if required.

The UK Government have put the costs of repatriation to the origin of the traveller squarely on the plane, boat or train operator. So unless you start your journey with your passport you are in trouble at the outset.

UK has also opted out of the Schengan border agreement so sets its own standard of entry requirement at ports of entry. These are still valid passport with visa if required.

Regards,

John.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

My wife travels quite a lot within Europe and the only country in which she has to produce her passport is the UK.

Not envisaging a situation where I am ever likely to want to go to the UK I probably won't even bother to renew mine when it expires!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well done guys at least its a bit of money for the kids.

I just put in all the cheapest options

Apparently you should be able to travel within Europe with a photo ID card only, maybe Ero drivers licence ?

I dont know how long it will take the UK to catch on that they are in Europe though.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
My wife travels quite a lot within Europe and the only country in which she has to produce her passport is the UK.

Not envisaging a situation where I am ever likely to want to go to the UK I probably won't even bother to renew mine when it expires!

I think that is what they are worried about, that was one of the questions

People wont lob out 70€ - 400€ if they can travel on a photo ID card.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:26 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Yeah Uk and Gibraltar -the two most inaccessible places in the EU even for its own citizens.

JDR - I did exactly the same as you -all the cheapest options! If, when the time comes, my passport application comes to more than 80 or so euros I shalln't be applying. I will look into how much it costs to apply for spanish passport though instead as this might be a more attractive option.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=keithwalters]Yeah Uk and Gibraltar -the two most inaccessible places in the EU even for its own citizens.
QUOTE]
I´ve never yet shown my passport to get into Gibraltar and I go regularly but I must admit to always having it with me just in case. Noone has ever asked me for it and on the rare occasions they have stopped the car, I have just shown my residencia and been waved through.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:50 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lis48]
Originally Posted by keithwalters
Yeah Uk and Gibraltar -the two most inaccessible places in the EU even for its own citizens.
QUOTE]
I´ve never yet shown my passport to get into Gibraltar and I go regularly but I must admit to always having it with me just in case. Noone has ever asked me for it and on the rare occasions they have stopped the car, I have just shown my residencia and been waved through.
So how did you manage that??? I always try to get away with just showing my residency card but on both occasions they stopped me and asked for my passport too!

Maybe it just depends on whether it is a complete jobsworth on duty at the time.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=keithwalters]
Originally Posted by Lis48

So how did you manage that??? I always try to get away with just showing my residency card but on both occasions they stopped me and asked for my passport too!
Maybe it just depends on whether it is a complete jobsworth on duty at the time.
A couple of weeks ago I got through by merely gesticulating towards my handbag and the time before, I just wound down the window and threw a "buenos dias" out. What is the queue for if not to think up ways to get through without showing your passport? Otherwise I would be screaming mad waiting. But I am too scared to try it without my passport in my bag just in case!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I went through this morning and had to show it to four different lots of police in and one on the way out, and its the first time I didn`t need to open the boot on the way out.
I cant see how you get through without showing it, you must look like a copper ?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
I went through this morning and had to show it to four different lots of police in and one on the way out, and its the first time I didn`t need to open the boot on the way out.
I cant see how you get through without showing it, you must look like a copper ?

I filled it in but couldn't understand the question where they asked if we wanted a "same day service" "by post"!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Passport Sticky

Originally Posted by kayley
I filled it in but couldn't understand the question where they asked if we wanted a "same day service" "by post"!

Thought that meant that when they recive you application by post then they would seal with it on that day. Return next post?

I just said no to all. I would not want to loose any consulate service. I feel that if I paid extra and the next person did not it will cause confusion, may be out rage back in the U.K. Can you imagine being in a disaster zone, like the Boxing day Tsunami and not having any coverage? I thought the prices quoted were on the high side. Hopefully I would not need a consulate, other than to change my passport.