Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Passport stamps

Passport stamps

Old Oct 31st 2021, 10:07 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport stamps

"It will also record refusals of entry. EES will replace the current system of manual stamping of passports, which is time consuming, does not provide reliable data on border crossings and does not allow a systematic detection of over-stayers (travellers who have exceeded the maximum duration of their authorised stay).

EES will contribute to prevent irregular migration and help protect the security of European citizens. The new system will also help bona fide third-country nationals to travel more easily while also identifying more efficiently over-stayers as well as cases of document and identity fraud."

Old system was unreliable and open to abuse.

Game over for anyone overstaying their welcome when this new system is implemented.

Old Oct 31st 2021, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
"It will also record refusals of entry. EES will replace the current system of manual stamping of passports, which is time consuming, does not provide reliable data on border crossings and does not allow a systematic detection of over-stayers (travellers who have exceeded the maximum duration of their authorised stay).

EES will contribute to prevent irregular migration and help protect the security of European citizens. The new system will also help bona fide third-country nationals to travel more easily while also identifying more efficiently over-stayers as well as cases of document and identity fraud."

Old system was unreliable and open to abuse.

Game over for anyone overstaying their welcome when this new system is implemented.
It’s game over now for people wanting to come and go. Unless you just do what the Russians and Americans do and just never leave.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
So did she overstay them? Because they should have been able to tell by the digital record on the system. I thought stamps were just for the traveller.
As I said it struck me as convoluted it would seem the woman crossed into Spain from Gibraltar and got her passport stamped to show entry, she stayed in Spain one week? Then left no idea whether she left to return to Gibraltar or UK, they didn't give her an exit stamp? Did she leave? She says she did but no idea. Some months later (over 90 days) tried to return to Spain from UK and was refused entry. This was due to not having the exit stamp so assumption was she had overstayed from date of stamp. That's how it reads to me. Personally if I got an entry stamp I would ask for an exit stamp. Main thing though is they are clearly checking on stamp dates.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
As I said it struck me as convoluted it would seem the woman crossed into Spain from Gibraltar and got her passport stamped to show entry, she stayed in Spain one week? Then left no idea whether she left to return to Gibraltar or UK, they didn't give her an exit stamp? Did she leave? She says she did but no idea. Some months later (over 90 days) tried to return to Spain from UK and was refused entry. This was due to not having the exit stamp so assumption was she had overstayed from date of stamp. That's how it reads to me. Personally if I got an entry stamp I would ask for an exit stamp. Main thing though is they are clearly checking on stamp dates.
there was a woman on the fb expats that said when she returned home to The UK from Alicante airport , there wasn’t any police to stamp the passports on the way out. Only the airline staff. So now her and her husband are worried as there is no exit stamp only an entry.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

there was a woman on the fb expats that said when she returned home to The UK from Alicante airport , there wasn’t any police to stamp the passports on the way out. Only the airline staff. So now her and her husband are worried as there is no exit stamp only an entry.
Yes obviously it's a problem for some.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 5:31 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It’s game over now for people wanting to come and go. Unless you just do what the Russians and Americans do and just never leave.
The big change will be that your details will be recorded and you'll be flagged up immediately the 90 days are up if you haven't left the Schengen Area by then. You'll be traceable if using your real name, although it's still a moot point as to how much effort will be taken to track transgressors down and eject them, as opposed to only sanctioning them if they try to escape or are unlucky enough to be otherwise identified as overstayers.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric
The big change will be that your details will be recorded and you'll be flagged up immediately the 90 days are up if you haven't left the Schengen Area by then. You'll be traceable if using your real name, although it's still a moot point as to how much effort will be taken to track transgressors down and eject them, as opposed to only sanctioning them if they try to escape or are unlucky enough to be otherwise identified as overstayers.
Reasonably that's the only real way of catching such people. Unless say a person of interest flags up to authorities and they want to specifically remove them I suppose that's also a possibility. I tend to find on routine vehicle checks we somehow always seem to get waved through, I often wonder if they look and think foreigner easier to wave through? That could change maybe a good chance to carry out a quick residency check? Who knows time will tell. Certainly if under the radar a quick trip to and from UK will become a little daunting. It all depends on how individuals wish to live I suppose, personally I prefer to live within the requirements.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Comment from UK Embassy Madrid

We know that some UK nationals resident in Spain have had your passports stamped at border control and are concerned about what that means for your residency.
UK nationals who can demonstrate that they were resident in Spain before 1 January 2021 should not have their passport stamped or be subject to routine intentions questioning upon entry, exit and transit through the Schengen border. However, we are conscious that it is happening in some cases and we continue to feed this back to the Spanish authorities.
If you are resident in Spain, you should always travel with both your valid passport and proof of your residence status, such as:
• your residence document: the green paper EU certificate or the new TIE. The Spanish authorities have published guidance on the continued validity of the green residency certificate here:
https://www.inclusion.gob.es/.../nota_aclaratoria_green...
• a certificate of application for residency in Spain,
• or other documentation that shows you were resident in Spain prior to the end of the transition period.
If you have had your passport incorrectly stamped, despite showing proof of residency, we want to reassure you that your rights in Spain will not be affected. If you are still not officially resident, the stamp will also not affect your ability to apply under the Withdrawal Agreement, as long as you can demonstrate that you were legally residing here by 31 December 2020.
When travelling in the future, any stamp will be considered null and void when accompanied by evidence of lawful residence such as your residency certificate. Some border authorities may annul incorrect stamps when presented with evidence of residence, but this is not required. If you wish to raise an incorrect stamp with the authorities you should contact the Ministry of Interior
http://www.interior.gob.es/contacto?...v1JOfTAY4G_Uds

Last edited by spainrico; Nov 2nd 2021 at 4:51 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I’ve got a few in and out stamps now. It’s confusing for me to even work out what’s what. The border guards don’t take long they just swipe and stamp takes 30 seconds. They must have a record of entry on the computer screen.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lefty2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive seen on a Facebook group a post regarding stamping of passports, many people have been stamped entering the country but not leaving the country, there has been reports of passport control not being manned on the way out so no stamp or electronic scan, how is that going to work when you next try to re enter Spain, it could look as though you have over stayed, potential problems maybe 🤔
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lefty2021
Ive seen on a Facebook group a post regarding stamping of passports, many people have been stamped entering the country but not leaving the country, there has been reports of passport control not being manned on the way out so no stamp or electronic scan, how is that going to work when you next try to re enter Spain, it could look as though you have over stayed, potential problems maybe 🤔
Not "potential" problems. It will be a real problem as you will be denied entry and put on the first plane back. End of.

BREXIT. The gift that keeps on giving.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lefty2021
definitely problems on the horizon.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve got a few in and out stamps now. It’s confusing for me to even work out what’s what. The border guards don’t take long they just swipe and stamp takes 30 seconds. They must have a record of entry on the computer screen.
What makes you think that?
The chip in your UK passport only provides read only data and confirms your details & the biometrics on your photo' for the auto' scan. The fact that they are chasing some poor soul who's passport they forgot to stamp should speak volumes.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 9:22 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are at a midway point where passports are stamped and, if passport control can, swiped. When all passport controls can swipe and are connected to the new system then they'll stop stamping 180 days later.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
What makes you think that?
The chip in your UK passport only provides read only data and confirms your details & the biometrics on your photo' for the auto' scan. The fact that they are chasing some poor soul who's passport they forgot to stamp should speak volumes.
well in that case they are not checking dates for Brits where I have flown into. Just stamping sand passing back. I’ve had stamps off them where you can’t even work out a date. I’ve got that many in my passport now that they would have to spend 5 minutes looking at my passport because they put them on random pages. The stamp in passport system at least for British nationals is not efficient as so many British are and will be coming in and out from now. The plane to Barcelona from Manchester was packed both ways , something I’ve not seen for nearly two years now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.