Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Passport expiry

Passport expiry

Old Mar 13th 2022, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport expiry

How many months does a British passport need to have before expiry to enter Spain ?. Daughters passport expires end of July but looking to travel in to spain beginning of April. Would I need a new passport?
Old Mar 13th 2022, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport expiry

if i remember correctly it is 6 months.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Despite what a passport might say since Brexit the effective date of expiry is 10 years from it's date of issue and you need 6 months remaining to enter Spain.

In other words if on the proposed day of travel the passport is more than 9 years and 6 months old it will not be valid for entry.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I did one a couple of years ago online from Spain. I cant remember exactly but it was around about a month to get it so plenty of time. It's very easy to do and very efficient.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

UK Passport office is advising applications from UK are taking 10 weeks at the moment.

Old Mar 14th 2022, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...rts-and-travel
Old Mar 14th 2022, 9:09 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain View Post
if i remember correctly it is 6 months.
If a Spanish resident, isn't it 3 months?
Old Mar 14th 2022, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:
  • less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’) - Note: 10 years from date of issue, the expiry date is irrelevant. Of course if it's a childrens passport it's 5 years.
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’) - Note: Make sure you have booked the return ticket otherwise they may say you intend to stay 3 months and therefore require 6 months.
Source: Entry requirements - Spain travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Stingychips don't delay, get your daughter to do an online renewal now. When we did my son's the published waiting time was 12 weeks, we got it in under 10 days and that included the extra time to deliver it to Spain. You're having a right old time of it with all these hurdles preventing you getting here for a well deserved break. My only advice is to check the official sites for Covid entry requirements, passport validity requirements etc.. I think they're the only hurdles you should encounter, unless you're planning a Ryanair flight to Lisbon and then driving across Ryanair Forced To Cancel 19X Lisbon Routes For Summer ‘22 By Tap’s Blocking Of Slots It Can’t/Won’t Use – Ryanair's Corporate Website. Best to keep it simple and book a flight to the local airport of your chosen destination.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanNico View Post
Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:
  • less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’) - Note: 10 years from date of issue, the expiry date is irrelevant. Of course if it's a childrens passport it's 5 years.
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’) - Note: Make sure you have booked the return ticket otherwise they may say you intend to stay 3 months and therefore require 6 months.
Source: Entry requirements - Spain travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Stingychips don't delay, get your daughter to do an online renewal now. When we did my son's the published waiting time was 12 weeks, we got it in under 10 days and that included the extra time to deliver it to Spain. You're having a right old time of it with all these hurdles preventing you getting here for a well deserved break. My only advice is to check the official sites for Covid entry requirements, passport validity requirements etc.. I think they're the only hurdles you should encounter, unless you're planning a Ryanair flight to Lisbon and then driving across Ryanair Forced To Cancel 19X Lisbon Routes For Summer ‘22 By Tap’s Blocking Of Slots It Can’t/Won’t Use – Ryanair's Corporate Website. Best to keep it simple and book a flight to the local airport of your chosen destination.
I have applied for the fast track passport. Will be here before I set off. Just need to get to Durham with my passport application end of the month and it comes within 7 days.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh View Post
If a Spanish resident, isn't it 3 months?
If Spanish resident then there´s no requirement to have any extra validity on your UK passport.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:28 pm
DLC
BE Enthusiast

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Read this article carefully:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2021606.html

Simon Calder maintains UK government passport expiry advice has been wrong ever since Brexit and the EU commission has confirmed his interpretation of the rules.