Passport

Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

tuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nice
Default Passport

Hi folks,
Re countersigning of passport application. If I ask my (Spanish) bank manager to endorse it will he have to word it in English or Spanish?. I would have thought it a bit insulting to expect him to endorse a legal document in anything but his native language.
Thanks for looking.tuk-tuk.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Passport

Originally Posted by tuk-tuk
Hi folks,
Re countersigning of passport application. If I ask my (Spanish) bank manager to endorse it will he have to word it in English or Spanish?. I would have thought it a bit insulting to expect him to endorse a legal document in anything but his native language.

I think it has to be in English. Years ago I had to get someone to endorse a document as I was trying to open a UK bank account. I remember asking this question at the time and being told it must be in English.

It presented me with a real problem as I didn't know any English speakers when I first moved over to Spain, and of course the whole concept of countersigning/endorsing is totally alien to the Spanish so they were very reluctant to do it.

Last edited by Veleta; Oct 24th 2009 at 8:15 am.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:12 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I guess any legal document has to be signed by a person able to read and understand that document.

Personally I wouldn`t sign anything I couldn`t read.

If he`s very trusting, i guess he will.

If its an English language document only to be read by English speakers/readers then no it isn`t insulting.

He should be endorsing in English, I don`t know if it`ll be accepted in a language you haven`t translated.

Would you expect English on Spanish legal documents ?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:24 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that they ever check on the person who signs it unless it is a first application or from someone with more complicated claims to British citizenship.

I'm sure you can find a retired civil servant, teacher or policeman to sign it for you.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I doubt that they ever check on the person who signs it unless it is a first application or from someone with more complicated claims to British citizenship.

I'm sure you can find a retired civil servant, teacher or policeman to sign it for you.
You could even scrape the bottom of the barrel and get an estate agent to sign it
In Britain, no institution (banks, building soc's etc.) will sign anything that is not one of their own documents - even if you have an account with them. When I was paying off my mortgage, the B.S. sent me a document with an explanatory note saying I must get it countersigned by "... your bank manager, a doctor or other professional in good standing." Well, none of them would touch it with a barge pole.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:29 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Our GP endorsed OH´s passport two years ago. He did it in Spanish as he doesn´t speak English.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:01 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuk-tuk
Hi folks,
A passport renewal photo doesn't need endorsing. Our passports expired 3 months after arriving in Spain, in 2007, we applied for renewal passports complete with new passport photos and no endorsement (I read somewhere on the application form that endorsements weren't needed for renewal) there was no problem, no query and the passports didn't take long to arrive. Read the application form and you should see it printed somewhere.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of passports, mine is up for renewal next year.

Will I have to send it to Madrid? Is it worth going to madrid or do they send it to the UK anyway?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

Lionda - things must have changed since your application.

If you look at the forms and the notes on the UK Passport website, a renewal only needs a counter-signature on the photos if the applicant looks very different from the previous photo. But this is not the form for those no longer resident in UK.

The form for Ex-pats can be downloaded from the Consulate site, and in all cases an application for renewal of a passport needs a counter-signature. Personally, I believe it is wrong to make a difference like this, surely all applications should be treated the same wherever one lives. But unfortunately this is the way it is.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:12 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
On the subject of passports, mine is up for renewal next year.

Will I have to send it to Madrid? Is it worth going to madrid or do they send it to the UK anyway?

I do not believe they will do it there and then whilst you wait. If you have 2 trips then the cost of a courier looks cheap.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, a courier it will be then.

To anyone who has done it this way, how long does it take? How long am I likely to be without it?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Thanks, a courier it will be then.

To anyone who has done it this way, how long does it take? How long am I likely to be without it?
It takes 2 weeks.

The courier service is now very good and they have to phone you to make an appointment to deliver it.

I have just done mine and, yes, it needed a countersignature on the form and the photo.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

willy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are right about the checking, my girl friend has countersigned the last two of my passport renewals, and they haven't sussed that she is not a so called professional person
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

It takes 2 weeks.

The courier service is now very good and they have to phone you to make an appointment to deliver it.
thanks
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It must of changed since July cos then all I needed on mine was one photo signed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.