Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Partner of Spanish Citizen

Partner of Spanish Citizen

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

shacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner of Spanish Citizen

Hi, we will be moving to Barcelona next year. My wife is Spanish and I have a British Passport (although I'm from NZ). I will be self employed as I can work remotely and have a Limited Company in New Zealand from which I will be paid. Do I continue to pay tax in New Zealand and withdraw funds or will the Spanish taxman want some - or do I pay tax in Spain and not NZ (tax rates roughly the same) because Spain would become my permanent base.

Also, should I apply to become a resident of Spain (through my wife) even with a British passport to have access to healthcare. Is this worthwhile?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner of Spanish Citizen

Originally Posted by shacho
Hi, we will be moving to Barcelona next year. My wife is Spanish and I have a British Passport (although I'm from NZ). I will be self employed as I can work remotely and have a Limited Company in New Zealand from which I will be paid. Do I continue to pay tax in New Zealand and withdraw funds or will the Spanish taxman want some - or do I pay tax in Spain and not NZ (tax rates roughly the same) because Spain would become my permanent base.

Also, should I apply to become a resident of Spain (through my wife) even with a British passport to have access to healthcare. Is this worthwhile?
Yes, you would be taxed in Spain on your worlwide earnings, and yes you would need to become a resident to take advantage of the Spanish healthcare system assuming she will be working.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, do you know if we are both self employed if we each have to pay the social security paymets (which I believe goes up to around 300 euro after 3 years)
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

ElaineGon is an unknown quantity at this point

Shacko, Double taxation agreements between Spain and other countries vary, so I would suggest you check if there is one between Spain and New Zealand, and if there is, what that agreement says regarding where you will have to pay tax.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shacho
Thanks, do you know if we are both self employed if we each have to pay the social security paymets (which I believe goes up to around 300 euro after 3 years)
Yes as self-employed you would both have to pay social security payments in Spain as you are resident and working in Spain

There are special discounts available at the moment, but eventually after 2-3 years they will be around 270 euros each minimum. You can choose to pay more if you wish

And then you would pay income tax on your income like in any other country
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:48 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineGon
Shacko, Double taxation agreements between Spain and other countries vary, so I would suggest you check if there is one between Spain and New Zealand, and if there is, what that agreement says regarding where you will have to pay tax.
It doesn't really matter what it says - you would have to make a declaration and pay your taxes here.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

ElaineGon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ElaineGon
Shacko, This may be helpful

http://taxpolicy.ird.govt.nz/sites/d...a-nz-spain.pdf
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It doesn't really matter what it says - you would have to make a declaration and pay your taxes here.
Of course it matters what it says!

As an example, the UK agreement with Spain says that under certain circumstances (such as UK government pensions) you still pay the tax in the UK and not in Spain.

The need to make a return is a different issue and depends on the personal circumstances and income involved.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 4th 2015 at 5:27 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your feedback. It looks like I had better get in touch with an accountant who is familiar with both countries. Cheers, Shacho

This link was certainly helpful Elaine
http://taxpolicy.ird.govt.nz/sites/d...a-nz-spain.pdf