British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Which part of Spain has fewest Brits? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/part-spain-has-fewest-brits-654923/)

steviedeluxe Feb 15th 2010 1:40 pm

Which part of Spain has fewest Brits?

My guess is it would be somewhere like La Rioja or Soria. Places in the deep interior with little tradition of tourism. There again, I would have said Galicia a few years ago, but it now seems that (on this board at least) the odd bod has settled there.

manamama Feb 15th 2010 1:50 pm

Re: Which part of Spain has fewest Brits?

Asturias maybe...I know of about 10 (mainly through hubby's company).

Most have partners who are spanish.

cricketman Feb 15th 2010 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by manamama (Post 8343880)
Asturias maybe...I know of about 10 (mainly through hubby's company).

Most have partners who are spanish.

I think the whole North coast is free of Brits. Galicia became popular as property inland is cheaper there so many when to renovate farmhouses like they did in France.

But from Asturias to the French boarder hardly any Brits and those that are tend to have Spanish partners as you say

steviedeluxe Feb 15th 2010 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8343883)
I think the whole North coast is free of Brits. Galicia became popular as property inland is cheaper there so many when to renovate farmhouses like they did in France.

But from Asturias to the French boarder hardly any Brits and those that are tend to have Spanish partners as you say

You may be right. i've been several times to Comillas (Cantabria) and never heard anyone speaking English, well with a native accent anyway. I've heard German and French people there, never British. A bit surprising though, as Santander has the port and airport. I'm fairly sure you get more Brits in Bilbao, if only on a "Guggenheim weekend".

jackytoo Feb 15th 2010 2:03 pm

Extremadura (although seen Brit estate agents advertising there). La Mancha? not heard of many there.

steviedeluxe Feb 15th 2010 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 8343901)
Extremadura (although seen Brit estate agents advertising there). La Mancha? not heard of many there.

Heh. Back in the 90s I visited Cuenca with a friend, and we lost our way. I stopped a woman in the street and asked her the way "Perdona, ?podrias decirme donde esta la estacion?" ... But before I'd finished the sentence she'd interupted me with "It's okay, speak to me in english - although I live here I come from England.." My friend cracked up...

pete_l Feb 15th 2010 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8343874)
Places in the deep interior with little tradition of tourism.

Well, they do have fewest of everybody, so I suppose that's right - but probably not what you were intending. ;)
If you mean the smallest proportion of brits (do you wish to exclude all other nationalities? or is it just something about brits) then I'd guess the big cities, as there's not much to attract ex-pats to places like that.

steviedeluxe Feb 15th 2010 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by pete_l (Post 8343941)
Well, they do have fewest of everybody, so I suppose that's right - but probably not what you were intending. ;)
If you mean the smallest proportion of brits (do you wish to exclude all other nationalities? or is it just something about brits) then I'd guess the big cities, as there's not much to attract ex-pats to places like that.

Not sure about that. Plenty of Brits have asked about buying apartments in Barcelona, although maybe they got scared off by the crazy prices. I remember there was a sizeable number of Brits in Madrid, some were working for IT companies (Sun, IBM), some worked for head offices of international companies, others were teachers of English. Some even set up businesses (generally Irish pubs or other catering outlets though).

cricketman Feb 15th 2010 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8343952)
Not sure about that. Plenty of Brits have asked about buying apartments in Barcelona, although maybe they got scared off by the crazy prices. I remember there was a sizeable number of Brits in Madrid, some were working for IT companies (Sun, IBM), some worked for head offices of international companies, others were teachers of English. Some even set up businesses (generally Irish pubs or other catering outlets though).

Yes there were quite a few British people living in Barcelona. Although I was surprised to see so many Americans living there. They were everywhere

Lenox Feb 15th 2010 3:27 pm

Obscure provincial cities maybe - plus Melilla and Ceuta (who'd wanna live there?).

Fredbargate Feb 15th 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lenox (Post 8344086)
Obscure provincial cities maybe - plus Melilla and Ceuta (who'd wanna live there?).

The majority of Southern Saharians, if only temporary

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 15th 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8343874)
There again, I would have said Galicia a few years ago, but it now seems that (on this board at least) the odd bod has settled there.

Who you calling odd?:huh:

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8343883)

After being sold some crap by some of the rip off agents here, they do they think it is the cheapest way to purchase a property, but they never think about the years and years of living in a mountain of brick rubble.

I vote for Euskadi.

Madridboy Feb 15th 2010 4:42 pm

Not one for straying off topic but.......anyone see the programme on tele5 last night (can´t remember the name of it) where they were calling estate agents and were being offered 40+% discount on houses?
Funny saying about Madrid having English here, I´m sure there are lots here but in the 14 months I´ve been here I´ve only come accross one other English person and that was last week.

jackytoo Feb 15th 2010 5:13 pm

There used to be an ex-pat magazine in Madrid Don't know if it's still around but there were lots of British clubs and societies advertised.

Madridboy Feb 15th 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 8344278)
There used to be an ex-pat magazine in Madrid Don't know if it's still around but there were lots of British clubs and societies advertised.

Thanks I´ll have a look out for that.
I think the part of Spain that has the fewest Brits could be where ever you are if you dont venture out or mix with them (them - not trying to make Brits sound like a species). I´ve only just realised that I never leave the Goya area of Madrid. All I see is wealthy Spanish and generaly elderly ones at that, it´s still fur coat time here and I think they´re all competing again lol.