Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Parking Fine and Parking Rules in Spain

A Parking Fine and Parking Rules in Spain

Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Unhappy A Parking Fine and Parking Rules in Spain

I received my first parking fine, which I believe was incorrect (I know we all say that) but I really dont deserve this one. Cars park all day everyday in the same place as I was parked and never seem to get a ticket, and there were no signs.

I managed to make a denouncia/complaint with help from a friend, and today I had a man from the Ayuntamiento come with a letter from the Local Police that I had to sign. I think he said that basically I have to pay it and if I pay it within 15 days its cheaper.

I know I should just pay it but its the principle! Its so difficult when you dont speak the language brilliantly, but I also dont want to be taken advantage of. Has anyone took this matter further? if so how? And, does anyone know where you can actually find all the parking laws, where you can park, what road line markings mean what and what times and days you can park there?

Any help would be great!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:38 pm

Technical is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Parking Fine and Parking Rules in Spain

When we were over in February this year, we parked up right on the sea front at Torrox, I thought it was very easy to park there and there didn't seem to be any restrictions, when we returned we had a ticket saying we had to pay 30 euros, in very broken Spanish I managed to ask a passer by, who directed me top the pay machine, she explained that i should put 3 euros in an envelop (provided in the machine) then post it into a special area (within the machine), by all accounts this clears the fine.
However if you don't do this, they hound you to death.

Like you, I could not see any signs, restrictions etc, but what an easy way to settle things, I was well please and payed up!
Glenn
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0197
And, does anyone know where you can actually find all the parking laws, where you can park, what road line markings mean what and what times and days you can park there?

Any help would be great!
As a general rule of thumb. Any yellow markings on the kerb mean no parking.
Any blue markings mean you have to pay. (look for a machine or attendant)
There are also some signs that will say "Dias Laborales" = no parking during working days/hours.
Do not park outside any building with a "lowered" kerb, or outside any door/gate that has a garage license upon it.
Some other signs may even point out which side of the road you can park depending whether it's an "odd" or "even" month.!!
The main sign to check for is the picture of the tow truck or the word "grua"
Park here and you may find on your return that your pride and joy has been replaced by a paper triangle stuck on the kerb.
The best advice is. If in any doubt. Ask someone.

¿puedo dejar mi coche aqui?

regards
BW.

Last edited by big wheels; Nov 8th 2005 at 7:46 am.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hello j0197,

You might find this of interest

Parking General rules

Yellow Lines mean "No parking", Many ignore this but we don't advise you to! In fact, the Police are very tolerant but we do see cars being clamped for being on yellow lines. Unknown costs to retrieve.

Blue Lines mean "Find a meter" and pay for the time you require. Meters are situated at the side of the road or against buildings. Again many people say you can ignore the tickets. We are told that the authorities rarely chase offenders but we are also told that when you come to sell your property all such tickets are registered against the property as a debt, plus interest. We have also seen cars on blue lines (either they have overstayed the time period or did not pay at all) being towed away by the police but have not gone into the consequences.

Parking Fines If you do find a parking fine stuck under your windscreen wiper you will find a form and a small envelope attached, you have the option to fill in the form, pay the amount it asks for into one of the parking ticket machines. Press first the Red button, pay in the money then press the Blue button. The machine will print out a receipt. Detach the small receipt portion at the bottom, then place the other portion and the form into the envelope and post in the slot at the bottom of the machine. When it happened to me the immediate fine was €2.20. Retain your proof of payment or it can be more expensive later.

Underground Parking
Note: the first half hour is free: Ideal for a quick trip to the bank. There are two levels and usually no problem in parking. On return ideally pay the charge at the desk before collecting your car because it saves time and can save an extra 30 minute charge.

Super Market Parking Many have their own free parking but remember to collect a disk (Ficha) for raising the exit gate when paying for shopping.

It also pays to check around to see if these rules apply in your area.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by countryboy
Underground Parking
Note: the first half hour is free: Ideal for a quick trip to the bank. There are two levels and usually no problem in parking. On return ideally pay the charge at the desk before collecting your car because it saves time and can save an extra 30 minute charge.
On many occasions we've enjoyed watching people drive around for ages looking for a space and waiting for ages for someone to vacate a space, when there's a cheap underground garage nearby that we just zip into. The lengths to which people will go in order to avoid the cost of a couple of euros parking.

We've had a couple of incidents when leaving garages, though, when the ticket's not been accepted after paying at the caja before getting to the car. The reason is that we're a large family with 5 children under 10 and it can take a while to get everyone strapped in and pram(s) loaded up.
We have to show the ticket to the attendant when it's a bit over the 'load-up' time like that.

If someone pulls up as we get to the parked car, to ask if we're leaving a space, I normally tell them it's going to be at least 5 minutes before we're leaving.

Parking attitudes were something that impressed me when I arrived in Spain, though. They seemed to work on the overall principle that as long as you weren't causing a disruption it didn't matter where you parked. Even double parking was OK if you were in hearing distance of someone blowing their horn to get egress past a double-parked vehicle. To my mind, this gave a huge increase in the amount of available parking for the minor hassle of a few inconsiderately parked vehicles that would probably still cause problems in a strict parking environment anyway. I see vehicles parked up on pavements, around roundabouts, on corners and even in the middle of quiet junctions!

Parking has become stricter in the centre of Madrid, though, since the introduction of meters, and the incidence of inconsiderate "me-me-me" parking does seem to be on the increase, so I can't see the flexibility lasting.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replys. Well I gave in and paid it! It said 100 euros but as I paid within 15 days it got reduced to 70 euros. If anyone needs to know where to go...I went to the Ayuntamiento (main town hall) and there is a cash desk where you pay all the fines.

I have never seen a meter here, its just either in carparks where you pay at the machine, in an open space where ONCE charity workers collect money, Or the road, where everyone parks anywhere and everywhere...like on roundabouts, pavements, even in the white "stay clear" lines in the road.

I still honestly think I was ok to park there, no lines, no signs. They said I was obstructing animals and people!

Anyway. Next time I will park in el corte ingles and use my card and get first 2 hours free and walk for 10 mins.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0197
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replys. Well I gave in and paid it! It said 100 euros but as I paid within 15 days it got reduced to 70 euros. If anyone needs to know where to go...I went to the Ayuntamiento (main town hall) and there is a cash desk where you pay all the fines.

I have never seen a meter here, its just either in carparks where you pay at the machine, in an open space where ONCE charity workers collect money, Or the road, where everyone parks anywhere and everywhere...like on roundabouts, pavements, even in the white "stay clear" lines in the road.

I still honestly think I was ok to park there, no lines, no signs. They said I was obstructing animals and people!

Anyway. Next time I will park in el corte ingles and use my card and get first 2 hours free and walk for 10 mins.
I think most people file them in the bin
That was expensive, my daughter got hers Gruered away and it was only 70€ to get it back from the pound.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JDR
That makes me feel great

I just hate the thought of things hanging over me..you know!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Some other signs may even point out which side of the road you can park depending whether it's an "odd" or "even" month.!!

days 1-16, 16-31. not monthly.