Paperwork

Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:09 am
Just Joined

oasis88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paperwork

My wife and I are moving to Spain and we are now about to sort out the required paperwork. We are both EU citizens so this is well-worn trail, but it's not so easy to navigate due to the huge amount of out of date information around.

Anyway, here's the plan. We have just found our home and are moving in next week so we now have a Spanish address. We also have a non resident bank account setup earlier.

As I understand it there are 3 separate documents/application processes: Certificado de Empadronamiento, NIE, Certificado de Registro.

If I get the Padron first, can I then get the NIE and Certificado de Registro at the same time and at the same place? (to save time and effort)

Otherwise:
NIE requires application forms, passport, S1 or private health care evidence, bank statments or proof of income, photos and multiple copies of enerything. Certificado de Registro application requires NIE and confirmation of residential address e.g. padron, property deeds or lease (plus copies/photos).
Padron application just requires passport and residence confirmation document. (plus copies/photos)

Plus lots of patience and good humour.

Is that about it?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:18 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork

Originally Posted by oasis88
My wife and I are moving to Spain and we are now about to sort out the required paperwork. We are both EU citizens so this is well-worn trail, but it's not so easy to navigate due to the huge amount of out of date information around.

Anyway, here's the plan. We have just found our home and are moving in next week so we now have a Spanish address. We also have a non resident bank account setup earlier.

As I understand it there are 3 separate documents/application processes: Certificado de Empadronamiento, NIE, Certificado de Registro.

If I get the Padron first, can I then get the NIE and Certificado de Registro at the same time and at the same place? (to save time and effort)

Otherwise:
NIE requires application forms, passport, S1 or private health care evidence, bank statments or proof of income, photos and multiple copies of enerything. Certificado de Registro application requires NIE and confirmation of residential address e.g. padron, property deeds or lease (plus copies/photos).
Padron application just requires passport and residence confirmation document. (plus copies/photos)

Is that about it?
Some areas require padron first others don't ....

If you are going to be working then you need to get SS number and all that entails. Or you have to go autonomo .....

You will also need to get health care sorted - if you have an S1, then that's great but you still need to be registered with a doctor.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Some areas require padron first others don't ....
Thanks. Our local office appears to be Denia. I don't hink they require padron, but we planned to get it first anyway. Apart from anything else it seems to be the least onerous to get. We have S1s on the way.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.
Thank you Rosemary for the welcome.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:28 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Otherwise:

Is that about it?
ISTR the Padron requires an NIE if you are resident
`
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

If you already have a non-resident bank account and have been able to buy/rent a home, would you not have already obtained an NIE number to enable you to do that?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

ISTR the Padron requires an NIE if you are resident
Oh... but I have been here less than 3 months at this point, so I would guess that I am not a resident until I get my Certificado de Registro.

If you already have a non-resident bank account and have been able to buy/rent a home, would you not have already obtained an NIE number to enable you to do that?
No the bank account application did not require NIE - just a passport (not even any utility bills or other proof of address). The rental did not require it either, just the passport. (I should mention that I have a very honest face ;-)
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Our local office appears to be Denia. I don't hink they require padron, but we planned to get it first anyway. Apart from anything else it seems to be the least onerous to get. We have S1s on the way.

Thank you Rosemary for the welcome.
someone I know tried to register on the padrón in Denia yesterday - they told her that she has to have the resident certificate first
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We had our NIE first as we were buying a house. Did not get our residencia until we moved here more than 2 years later, matriculated our car and then signed on the padron.

Rosemary
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:54 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Oh... but I have been here less than 3 months at this point, so I would guess that I am not a resident until I get my Certificado de Registro.

No the bank account application did not require NIE - just a passport (not even any utility bills or other proof of address). The rental did not require it either, just the passport. (I should mention that I have a very honest face ;-)
but if you are going to be resident why do you need to have a non-resident bank account ??
you don't say if you are retired or approaching retirement, but most banks now offer no charges on bank accounts for pensioners who have their UK pension paid into the account. But you will probably have to show an NIE card along with the passport.

hth
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:00 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
but if you are going to be resident why do you need to have a non-resident bank account ??
you don't say if you are retired or approaching retirement, but most banks now offer no charges on bank accounts for pensioners who have their UK pension paid into the account. But you will probably have to show an NIE card along with the passport.

hth
Tut, Tut, Dom, you know better than that. There's never been an NIE card nor is there now.

There used to be an ID card - long gone, and in some areas the new 'residencia' is now card sized. But it's a certificate of residency and NOT an NIE.

NIE's are still A4, white paper.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Tut, Tut, Dom, you know better than that. There's never been an NIE card nor is there now.

There used to be an ID card - long gone, and in some areas the new 'residencia' is now card sized. But it's a certificate of residency and NOT an NIE.

NIE's are still A4, white paper.
perhaps I am blurring the edges twixt Residencia and NIE but all are covered by the one form that I have.

the current wisdom, at least 18m ago when I got my NIE, as issued at the Extranjero office, was that it was printed out on a pale green and blue piece of paper with a credit card sized portion containing all the relevent information which was punched through the main A4 sheet and given to me. "For life" the nice man in the Extranjero office said, as he retained the rest for his files.
Yes, it says "Residente communitario en Espana desde........"
but it does include the NIE, nationality, domicilio, date of birth, et and has been accepted as proof of such by everyone from bank to hacienda to ayntamiento to trafico. So in this instance - I completed both Residencia and NIE at the same time.

So there is no need to walk around with a crumpled falling apart white A4 sheet, worrying if it will be up to the rigours of another opening.
As it is an offence to alter a piece of Spanish legal documentation, rather than just put it into my wallet, or laminate it, I found a plastic cover from a visit to a company back home and inserted my little piece of paper.

I got this part done first so that I had something to show the Social Services people who gave me their number and the Medico/Salud people who gave me their number. Most of this being done on days where is was pouring down with rain, so remember it well - especially as Extranjero took me 2 visits.

hth
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

hth
Interesting info about the bank account. But what is required for a resident's bank account? Just the NIE and passport? I am approaching retirement. In our case, we didn't need a non-resident bank account specifically we just needed any bank account to get funds over here to get started and when you have no address or Spanish documentation a non-resident bank account is all you can get. I'm surprised it was so easy.

Originally Posted by Rosemary
We had our NIE first as we were buying a house. Did not get our residencia until we moved here more than 2 years later, matriculated our car and then signed on the padron.

Rosemary
Based on what I've learned now we will get the NIE first too. I will definitely need that to get the car re-registered.

Originally Posted by lynnxa
someone I know tried to register on the padrón in Denia yesterday - they told her that she has to have the resident certificate first
Oh well... so much for my theory that the padron was an easy first step.

perhaps I am blurring the edges twixt Residencia and NIE but all are covered by the one form that I have.

the current wisdom, at least 18m ago when I got my NIE, as issued at the Extranjero office, was that it was printed out on a pale green and blue piece of paper with a credit card sized portion containing all the relevent information which was punched through the main A4 sheet and given to me. "For life" the nice man in the Extranjero office said, as he retained the rest for his files.
Yes, it says "Residente communitario en Espana desde........"
but it does include the NIE, nationality, domicilio, date of birth, et and has been accepted as proof of such by everyone from bank to hacienda to ayntamiento to trafico. So in this instance - I completed both Residencia and NIE at the same time.

So there is no need to walk around with a crumpled falling apart white A4 sheet, worrying if it will be up to the rigours of another opening.
As it is an offence to alter a piece of Spanish legal documentation, rather than just put it into my wallet, or laminate it, I found a plastic cover from a visit to a company back home and inserted my little piece of paper.

I got this part done first so that I had something to show the Social Services people who gave me their number and the Medico/Salud people who gave me their number. Most of this being done on days where is was pouring down with rain, so remember it well - especially as Extranjero took me 2 visits.

hth
So you applied for NIE and Residencia simultaneously? Did you complete 2 forms? Ex-15 and Ex-18 or how did you go about it? Also, did you include Modelo 790 (codigo 012) tax form?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:24 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting info about the bank account. But what is required for a resident's bank account? Just the NIE and passport? I am approaching retirement. In our case, we didn't need a non-resident bank account specifically we just needed any bank account to get funds over here to get started and when you have no address or Spanish documentation a non-resident bank account is all you can get. I'm surprised it was so easy.

Based on what I've learned now we will get the NIE first too. I will definitely need that to get the car re-registered.

Oh well... so much for my theory that the padron was an easy first step.

So you applied for NIE and Residencia simultaneously? Did you complete 2 forms? Ex-15 and Ex-18 or how did you go about it? Also, did you include Modelo 790 (codigo 012) tax form?
you should be able to just do the EX18 & get a NIE issued with the res cert

I have a feeling that in Denia atm they are issuing them separately - NIE first (double fees ) & go back & apply later for the res cert

for a resident bank account you need to show your resident cert & some banks will want padrón too
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:28 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

an oldie but goodie:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.