Palmira Silva

Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Palmira Silva

Originally Posted by Bipat
Agree with much that you say, but don't think it is "narrow minded", to equate the British with being Christian. I would say most try to follow basic Christian principles of peace, love your neighbour etc. Going to a church is entirely different issue (I personally don't see any of the churches as following the basic principles!!!!)
I think I know what he's trying to say. A white person walking along the street will not immediately give rise to the thought 'Christian!' A person of vaguely dark appearance may well elicit 'Muslim' and then 'extremist'. I know an otherwise nice American lady who does exactly this. She gets all mixed up with the nationalities anyway and while we were still in the US even said things like I should be careful my daughter's boyfriend doesn't 'take her back to his country' (he's American-born to an Iranian family who fled the revolution).

With extremism in Britain, the problem is that more marginalisation of Muslims will be fertile ground for the young guys to get involved in it.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think I know what he's trying to say. A white person walking along the street will not immediately give rise to the thought 'Christian!' A person of vaguely dark appearance may well elicit 'Muslim' and then 'extremist'. I know an otherwise nice American lady who does exactly this. She gets all mixed up with the nationalities anyway and while we were still in the US even said things like I should be careful my daughter's boyfriend doesn't 'take her back to his country' (he's American-born to an Iranian family who fled the revolution).

With extremism in Britain, the problem is that more marginalisation of Muslims will be fertile ground for the young guys to get involved in it.

Yes to some extent, but the newspapers in UK compound this sort of view. They invariably use the word "Asian" when anything untoward happens. For example the excellent report on the Rotherham atrocities specifically mentioned that the perpetrators were of Pakistani descent.
I knew the newspaper would call them "Asians" --and they did!!
So anyone vaguely brown is thought of as a 'risk' when the majority of Asians in UK originate from other countries and are of varying religions.

(Obviously most Pakistani origin men are not a risk either!!!!)
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes to some extent, but the newspapers in UK compound this sort of view. They invariably use the word "Asian" when anything untoward happens. For example the excellent report on the Rotherham atrocities specifically mentioned that the perpetrators were of Pakistani descent.
I knew the newspaper would call them "Asians" --and they did!!
So anyone vaguely brown is thought of as a 'risk' when the majority of Asians in UK originate from other countries and are of varying religions.

(Obviously most Pakistani origin men are not a risk either!!!!)
Time and again I have seen you correct people on BE who cannot differentiate between nationalities and religions. They might as well just say 'vaguely brown'
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:18 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Not just the guys...

The British women married to jihad | World news | The Guardian

It s a marginalisation problem. However the marginalisation is self-inflicted on the basis of ethnic culture, and that is hugely intertwined with religion.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:23 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Don't really agree with that, from what I have read the 'hunter/gatherer' humans were peaceful, but as soon as humans started forming cities/communities competition happened and fighting along with it.
Some religions attempted to reintroduce the ideal peaceful ways.
Some kind of pastoral caveman myth? Nonsense. Plenty of evidence of both violence and compassion in pre-agricultural humans.

The point is that we no longer need Christian "branding" to promote positive human values.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
It s a marginalisation problem. However the marginalisation is self-inflicted on the basis of ethnic culture, and that is hugely intertwined with religion.

Going out now, will think about it later,
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Some kind of pastoral caveman myth? Nonsense. Plenty of evidence of both violence and compassion in pre-agricultural humans.

The point is that we no longer need Christian "branding" to promote positive human values.
How can there be evidence of "compassion"? Just interested? They couldn't write!

Agree religion is no longer necessary to promote human values, but if people wish to belong to a particular group, what is the problem?

My Hindu relatives ( a mixture of all 'groups' from atheists/ agnostic to ultra orthodox and all between), enjoy endless, discussions -----at length, without condemning me or each other.
(Just don't mention missionaries )
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

How can there be evidence of "compassion"? Just interested? They couldn't write!

Agree religion is no longer necessary to promote human values, but if people wish to belong to a particular group, what is the problem?

My Hindu relatives ( a mixture of all 'groups' from atheists/ agnostic to ultra orthodox and all between), enjoy endless, discussions -----at length, without condemning me or each other.
Totally agree Bipat.
It's a shame that there aren't more balanced views on such subjects.
Christianity as with any religion is far from perfect, not pretending otherwise - but I believe the good outweighs the bad.

Your Hindu relatives should join the forum! Perhaps their tolerance might rub off on some of those who endlessly try to promote their anti religious views.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lutonlad
Totally agree Bipat.
It's a shame that there aren't more balanced views on such subjects.
Christianity as with any religion is far from perfect, not pretending otherwise - but I believe the good outweighs the bad.

Your Hindu relatives should join the forum! Perhaps their tolerance might rub off on some of those who endlessly try to promote their anti religious views.
Well, they are not British or expats. Also I wouldn't want them to know really what some people post about Indians or India on the various parts of the forum.

(Off thread OH, fortunately is practically computer illiterate, so is his elder brother, therefore my Indian sister in law and myself have complete control over e-mails etc. sent on their behalf--'woman power')

Just thought about this post, and realised---How patronising I sound!!! The real truth is I do not want any of them to know I contribute to the Forum.

Last edited by Bipat; Sep 8th 2014 at 12:04 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:06 am
me/moi

There is anthropologogical evidence of surgeries on ancient humans, burial ceremonies and carrying of the infirm.

Having recently engaged in a lengthy value if religion debate on another thread, I don't wish to repeat the arguments here. Suffice it to say, in total it does more harm than good.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I'm glad you agree. So it would be nice to not talk as if all or even most Muslims are guilty of or support this kind of violence then.
You are taking my posts way out of context, I have never said that all or most Muslims are guilty or support this kind of violence.

You have interpreted this from my posts in an attempt to make me appear racist.

It doesn't wash.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

There is anthropologogical evidence of surgeries on ancient humans, burial ceremonies and carrying of the infirm.

Having recently engaged in a lengthy value if religion debate on another thread, I don't wish to repeat the arguments here. Suffice it to say, in total it does more harm than good.
'Suffice it to say' that was probably the most arrogant post I've seen in a long time.

Just because you've engaged in a lengthy debate doesn't make you right.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:27 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by lutonlad
'Suffice it to say' that was probably the most arrogant post I've seen in a long time.

Just because you've engaged in a lengthy debate doesn't make you right.
Don't be a fool. I'm simply explaining a reason why I don't wish to have a debate with someone despite the interesting nature of the topic. And you are quite correct that having a lengthy debate does not make me right, although it does suggest I have done some thinking on the matter and am not just casually dismissing it.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:51 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I agree , this is a very complex issue, just as the idea of a white christian nation is a myth so is that of Islam being a religion devoted to the forced conversion an application of rigorous restrictions to those who become muslim.
Those who have become muslim terrorists in another place, time and society would have become radical evangalists etc.
In their misguided minds a certain view of Islam provides them with a motivation or morality lacking in the society they come from.
It is not just a UK problem but converts to that particular form of Islam can now be found in almost every European country.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuboy
You are taking my posts way out of context, I have never said that all or most Muslims are guilty or support this kind of violence.

You have interpreted this from my posts in an attempt to make me appear racist.

It doesn't wash.
Unfortunately the style and tone of this thread does suggest at best massive generalising.

Some of the solution would come from education, but we have another thread running on BE advocating faith schools and blind acceptance of religious teaching, so I won't hold my breath.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.