Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Padron yes or no?

Padron yes or no?

Old Mar 9th 2024, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Padron yes or no?

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
I have an 'OAP' bus pass which can be used for Bizkaibus, Bilbao Metro & trams. You have to be a 'pensioner' & fares are ridiculously cheap....eg 65 centimos from where we live to Bilbao (40kms).
Andalucia has the over 65 card which is free to obtain . It gives you half price bus travel within Andalucia and various other discounts. You have to be 65 plus and I think resident to get it . That said I do know some non residents that have it but they may have signed on the pardon to get it. I have and use the card but I am resident.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
we can also get the OAP bus pass here in Benidorm which allows travel also around 65 centimos but its amazing that anyone on the padron in Fuengirola, OAP or not, can get free travel.....

Steve
Both Torrox and Rincon de la Victoria, East of Málaga, introduced free local bus travel for residents (ie those on the padrón) some time ago, but my Ayuntamiento, Vélez.Málaga, which lies between the two, has not. We did get a pass for 30 free local bus journeys (as did those aged 16-25) in the run up to the last local elections, but once the PP got in and took over control one of the first things they did was to declare these passes invalid even before some of the people holding them had used up their 30 journeys. So, back to just using our Sesentaycinco cards which reduces the fare between our town and Torre del Mar on the coast from €1.30 to €0.60.

Los autobuses del transporte público en Torrox son gratuitos para los residentes desde hoy - La Opinión de Málaga (laopiniondemalaga.es)

El transporte público en Rincón de la Victoria será gratuito para todos los empadronados - La opinión de Málaga (laopiniondemalaga.es)

For those who live in an area served by Alsa buses and are too young to qualify for an OAP card, for about 18 months now they have been offering "frequent traveller" bonos which can be bought online (not the same as the free travel for commuters schemefor half the cost of the regular fares which involves paying a deposit). You can buy 3, 4, 10 or 20 journey tickets (useful if you regularly visit another town or city) and the validity periods are longer the more journeys you buy.

Last edited by Lynn R; Mar 9th 2024 at 4:58 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Tradedublin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, The Fuengirola free transport padron is only for full time registered residents in the area, while slightly annoying for non resident property owners, I don't think it's worth the future tax complications for the sake of a 1.20 euro bus journey ! ! Especially if you want to sell up. At the start when it was free for everybody it was great very forward thinking. Now when I use it I am only one paying ! ! The Renfe train deals are open to all if you need to go a bit further but only on a set point to point journey.....

Regards

Ste.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish law classes permitting non entitled persons to sign on a padron and signing on a padron as a 'grave' offence attracting a potential fine of up to €10,000 both for town halls and the individuals themselves.

Maybe it's never been levied but the law is there nevertheless.

As for not paying non resident tax, the alternative is being resident and paying tax on your worldwide income in Spain, there is no middle ground!

Both are big piles of poo to step in for the sake of a few bus fares!
Old Mar 10th 2024, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish law classes permitting non entitled persons to sign on a padron and signing on a padron as a 'grave' offence attracting a potential fine of up to €10,000 both for town halls and the individuals themselves.

Maybe it's never been levied but the law is there nevertheless.

That is very interesting !

The forum has underlined what I was thinking, but occasionally the odd person you meet in a bar gives you contradictory information which throws you a bit. And I will remain off the padron.

It has been interesting to hear of other areas transport offers etc. Fuengirola received brand new busses last year, and brand new routes, with an interactive app, which on the whole is pretty good. It was free to all for 4 months but is now E1.20 which is still cheap.

The C1/2 rail line is offering great value too, if you use the app you can buy a ticket for ten euros which lasts a few months! I believe if you are resident once you have used it on four journeys you get your money back! As a non resident it just represents value for money, and not surprisingly the train is packed out!

On that note I will just say that whenever I visited a station the queue for tickets was so long because foreigners where struggling to understand the new options available to the point where you would miss the train waiting to buy a ticket! So I switched to the app which is great !

Thanks to all!

al
Old Mar 20th 2024, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Ayoub19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi could you please help what documents did you need to have to import a UK car to Spain please ?
Old Mar 21st 2024, 7:31 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

After Brexit it is now much more expensive and complicated to import a car from the UK.Unless you have a very good reason for wanting to do it, most people will tell you not to do it and buy one in Spain.

There is some good, up to date, information here.

https://www.thelocal.es/20210917/how...side-of-the-eu