Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

padron...benefits/disadvantages?

padron...benefits/disadvantages?

Old May 22nd 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

teddy14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: padron...benefits/disadvantages?

is it possible to buy and insure a car without one, only Im moving to spain at the weekend and need a car to get about, but IM going to be living with a friend so I wont have a rental agreement.
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi teddy, obviously it varies from region to region but I do not have padron (yet) but have bought and insured car with no problem. You do need an address and NIE to buy and register a car though.
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:46 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SHERGAR
As far as we are aware the Padron is proof of registration.It alows you to vote in your local council elections.You need to show it to register for healthcare or if you buy a car or house.it does only last for 3 months so its best to buy these things within that period otherwise you have to renew it.This is how the system works in Benitaxell but may vary in other places.
We didn't need it to register for healthcare (we did need to show our residency cards though), or to buy a house or a motorbike.

And as I said above, we registered when we first came here and we have never been asked to provide a new copy.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Hi teddy, obviously it varies from region to region but I do not have padron (yet) but have bought and insured car with no problem. You do need an address and NIE to buy and register a car though.

as opposed to here, where we had to go and register on the padron to enable us to register a car in our name .... without it we were unable to do so.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:08 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by niddapproach43
Only just here and want to get off to a good start!
If you are going to live here you should register. Ask for multiple copies (they cost 0€) because almost every time you use one the body involved wants to keep an original. Also, the certificate is usually not accepted as valid after 90 days so you would need to go back for more copies every time you need to use it.
Originally Posted by mikelincs
Allows you to vote in local elections
Being on the Padron doesn't automatically inscribe you for electoral purposes. For that you need to fill in a form renouncing the use of your right to vote in local and EU elections from elsewhere.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
as opposed to here, where we had to go and register on the padron to enable us to register a car in our name .... without it we were unable to do so.
Which ..... if you think about it, would stop someone who has a holiday home here and is not in Spain enough to be formally resident or empadronamiento here, from registering a car in his/her name.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:21 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Which ..... if you think about it, would stop someone who has a holiday home here and is not in Spain enough to be formally resident or empadronamiento here, from registering a car in his/her name.
And why should they not be able to do that?

There is a Dutch lady who I know quite well, she is not resident here, she has a holiday home and has just bought another car from the same Spanish garage she bought her first one from. They have both been registered in her name and she leaves it in someone's garage so that she can use it when she is here. It is fully ITV'd etc.

Is there a problem with that?
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scampicat
And why should they not be able to do that?

There is a Dutch lady who I know quite well, she is not resident here, she has a holiday home and has just bought another car from the same Spanish garage she bought her first one from. They have both been registered in her name and she leaves it in someone's garage so that she can use it when she is here. It is fully ITV'd etc.

Is there a problem with that?
Not a problem at all scampicat. But did she have to have padron to buy the car? Your example is exactly what I was thinking about and I am sure a lot of "occassional residents" might choose that solution for convenience.

As far as I was aware, especially if not from the UK you cannot be padron in two places.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem at all scampicat. But did she have to have padron to buy the car? Your example is exactly what I was thinking about and I am sure a lot of "occassional residents" might choose that solution for convenience.

As far as I was aware, especially if not from the UK you cannot be padron in two places.
There never used to be a problem signing on the padron in Sp[ain if you owned a home here but weren't resident, as the town hall used to welcome you with open arms as it effected their funding
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:04 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

did she have to have padron to buy the car?
I just bought a new car (first registration) and had to be in the Padron and be inscribed at Hacienda as a tax payer (which requires obtaining an N.I.E. then visiting the tax office with N.I.E certificate and Padron certificate).
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:17 pm
Ex Expat

AFAIK, she does not have the padron.

We bought our motorbike,brand new, as residents, without the Padron (although we did have it, the salesman didn't ask to see it). I think all he asked for was our Residencia card.