Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Owning a home in Alicante-costs. Advice please :)

Owning a home in Alicante-costs. Advice please :)

Old Dec 26th 2013, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Lucyspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Owning a home in Alicante-costs. Advice please :)

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is repetitive but I tried searching and couldn't find quite the info I needed.

Having lived in /around Alicante for around a year renting, I would now like to buy a holiday home with a view to retiring there one day. I have the purchase money plus about 15% for fees / taxes etc and I'm just wondering if people can advise me on what the maintenance costs are realistically for the following:

Council tax equivalent
Refuse collection
Home insurance
Water
Electric
(Water and electric based on standing charges, not much usage)
And anything else I've forgotten?

Also if anyone can recommend a good English-speaking solicitor that would be great.

Thank you
Lucy
Old Dec 27th 2013, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owning a home in Alicante-costs. Advice please :)

You should probably mention how big the property will be. The costs for a 2 bed flat will be completely different to a 5 bed villa with pool
Old Dec 27th 2013, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Silly me, thanks! 2 to 3 bed tiny casita/ bungalow
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucyspain
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is repetitive but I tried searching and couldn't find quite the info I needed.

Having lived in /around Alicante for around a year renting, I would now like to buy a holiday home with a view to retiring there one day. I have the purchase money plus about 15% for fees / taxes etc and I'm just wondering if people can advise me on what the maintenance costs are realistically for the following:

Council tax equivalent
Refuse collection
Home insurance
Water
Electric
(Water and electric based on standing charges, not much usage)
And anything else I've forgotten?

Also if anyone can recommend a good English-speaking solicitor that would be great.

Thank you
Lucy
As a rough guide I would go along the lines of

Council tax equivalent IBI ------- 400€ -500€
Refuse collection €100
Home insurance €280 -€300 depending on area
Water €200 -€400 depending on area
Electric €600 could be less depends on air con or heating when you are there
Community charge if you are in one ?
La Renta tax between €20-€200
ADSL Movistar €500
Good monitored alarm would also be on my list at around €400 to €500 with servicing

It's all a bit of a guess but it may be a place to start
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

... good list.

For home insurance, that would have to be contents and buildings of course.

You may also have to retain the services of a gestor to do your taxes?
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

Does anyone else have ideas re the costs of each ?
I have low bills in England due to not v high usage so I hope it would be similar in Spain. Though obviously things have standing charges etc.

thanks!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:58 am
Just Joined

I forgot to ask.. What is la renta tax?
Thanks
Old Dec 27th 2013, 2:37 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

'La Renta' is just income tax.

Because you will be a non-resident property owner, you have to pay what we refer to as 'imputed rental tax'. That is, you have to pay tax on 'presumed' or imputed rent. They will assume that your property COULD be rented out whilst you are not living in it.

The calculation is a small percentage of your cadastral value and then 24.75% of that.

It is exactly the same for anyone living in Spain who owns a property in UK - they must pay imputed rental tax for the UK property.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 4:49 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
'La Renta' is just income tax.

Because you will be a non-resident property owner, you have to pay what we refer to as 'imputed rental tax'. That is, you have to pay tax on 'presumed' or imputed rent. They will assume that your property COULD be rented out whilst you are not living in it.

The calculation is a small percentage of your cadastral value and then 24.75% of that.

It is exactly the same for anyone living in Spain who owns a property in UK - they must pay imputed rental tax for the UK property.
Hola

Apologies for slightly off topic

If they stop people renting properties short term ...... will this tax apply? Just thinking out loud

Davexf
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucyspain
Thanks for your replies.

Does anyone else have ideas re the costs of each ?
I have low bills in England due to not v high usage so I hope it would be similar in Spain. Though obviously things have standing charges etc.

thanks!
Depending what KW power supply you are on the standing charge for electric will be €18 to €22 per month with no usage
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

If they stop people renting properties short term ...... will this tax apply? Just thinking out loud

Davexf
Yes of course, not for one second will they drop it , they will just change the name of the tax

Last edited by Longlegpete; Dec 27th 2013 at 5:20 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:29 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
Depending what KW power supply you are on the standing charge for electric will be €18 to €22 per month with no usage
If the place in Spain is a holiday home, I am wondering if there is a system like in the UK where no standing charges are made, that would be a big saving as only the amount of power used would have to be paid for.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

The standing charges must vary a lot between different areas then - mine are €20.89 for two months (we're contracted for 3.45kwh on the TUR tariff).
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by me me
If the place in Spain is a holiday home, I am wondering if there is a system like in the UK where no standing charges are made, that would be a big saving as only the amount of power used would have to be paid for.
As far as I know there is no such thing in Spain, all have a standing charge, could be wrong but never heard of any such thing
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:54 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know there is no such thing in Spain, all have a standing charge, could be wrong but never heard of any such thing
Neither have I, and we only found out about it in the UK by chance.

It may be worth some posters while looking into it, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.