Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Outgoings UK v Spain

Wikiposts

Outgoings UK v Spain

Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outgoings UK v Spain

Originally Posted by rikandmegan
... my Local Tesco Superstore which is a total rip off for fresh produce
All supermarkets are. Apparently, the reason they put the fruit & veg near the entrance is so you stock up early on in your shopping, before you realise how much you're spending and start to become more frugal with your purchases. That's because the profits are so great on produce.
Whan I worked in Staines, there was quite a large market every wednesday. All the people from the companies in the area would pile into the town centre and stock up on cheap fruit (almost none was local, but the whole gamut of what you'd expect in a supermarket) and veg (likewise). Then stagger back to their offices with carrier bags full.
I did a price comparison and reckoned that the market stalls were charging roughly one-third of what the large Sainsburys in the town charged - for pretty much the same product - but without all the plastic and packaging.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Elly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pete_l
All supermarkets are. Apparently, the reason they put the fruit & veg near the entrance is so you stock up early on in your shopping, before you realise how much you're spending and start to become more frugal with your purchases. That's because the profits are so great on produce.
Whan I worked in Staines, there was quite a large market every wednesday. All the people from the companies in the area would pile into the town centre and stock up on cheap fruit (almost none was local, but the whole gamut of what you'd expect in a supermarket) and veg (likewise). Then stagger back to their offices with carrier bags full.
I did a price comparison and reckoned that the market stalls were charging roughly one-third of what the large Sainsburys in the town charged - for pretty much the same product - but without all the plastic and packaging.
Market is still here, every Wednesday and Saturday and seems to do pretty well.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Outgoings UK v Spain

Originally Posted by lynnxa
exactly - you do as the spanish do - shop around!
Isn't that what the Brit's used to do back in the 80's before the advent of Tesco's etc etc
Seems we have lost that streak but hold onto the complaints of not being able to get all our deals into one shop..

DSB.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missbad
My favs are jacobs creek and grenache (think it is spelt like that)
Mainly i drink gin and still waiting on a price for that please????? At the moment i buy London gin from sainsbury for about £7.50 to £8 a bottle. Also any borboun?
Thanks xxx
Bourbon is imported, so it will be as expensive or maybe more than the UK.
Generally Imports = Expensive

Its a while since I bought a bottle of Gin (honest!) but we seem to remember it was under €5, Ginebra Sheriton. You cant skimp on the tonic water though, it has to be schweppes!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:30 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I give up
Blossom Hill
You live in Spain for Christs sake.

There are any number of good Spanish wines available for very little money and are not plonk.

Jackytoo .... a regular drinker and smoker would be about the same in the UK or Spain??? Iirc a pack of 200 cigs in Spain is about €28 last time I bought some for a friend. How much are they in the UK??? Is that about £5.00 a pack of 20?? By my reckoning that makes 200 cigs £50 as opposed to £24 in Spain.

Missbad: Find out for yourself when you get here. Spain produces some wonderful quality wines at low prices. You dont need to buy expensive imports. You dont need to spend lots of money.
Blossom Hill was just an example, don't particularly like it but I do like a decent French, Australian etc. Local beach bars are charging 11euro for a cheap rioja that would cost 1.50. Where I am staying in the UK I can have a better quality French red in a restaurant for £8.50

When I posted a drinker and smoker would be about the same I was taking into account everything as in my view I think food and utilities are cheaper in the UK. but ofcourse you lose out in the cigs and booze in the UK

Missbad...we drink Larios gin which is about 10.85 a litre
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

Also, and I know this sounds stupid, but there is a restaurant called Don Color 2. Yes I know Don Color is a paint shop. Its opposite Aldi (I dont know where the one is in Piles). Turn left at the SOL bank on the paseo heading towards the playa, at the next roundabout it would be 2nd exit (left) and on the left, but as its no entry up there you would have to park. Its very noisy at lunchtimes though cos its where a lot of spanish workmen go.
thank you, have made a note of all these............J
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:08 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Local beach bars are charging 11euro for a cheap rioja that would cost 1.50.
It's surprising how much certain bars will charge. There again mini-bars in hotels are probably the worst.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Isn't that what the Brit's used to do back in the 80's before the advent of Tesco's etc etc
Seems we have lost that streak but hold onto the complaints of not being able to get all our deals into one shop..

DSB.
absotively

I have to admit it took a bit of getting used to when we first came here

luckily I've always been a 'cook from scratch' person though, so having to actually cook wasn't the shock it was for a lot of people I have met
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:34 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Bourbon is imported, so it will be as expensive or maybe more than the UK.
Generally Imports = Expensive

Its a while since I bought a bottle of Gin (honest!) but we seem to remember it was under €5, Ginebra Sheriton. You cant skimp on the tonic water though, it has to be schweppes!
you can get most spirits for around 5 euros - as long as you're not a brand snob
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

you can get most spirits for around 5 euros - as long as you're not a brand snob
I am sure Vodka and Gin are made in the same buckets and only change price when they are put in different label bottles. lol
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
I am sure Vodka and Gin are made in the same buckets and only change price when they are put in different label bottles. lol
no the're not - gin gives me a headache & vodka doesn't
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

no the're not - gin gives me a headache & vodka doesn't
I meant each in its own bucket. ;-))
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
DSB.
The majority of this thread says the opposite to me!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

.................yeh, if you want to go blind................
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:22 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Have any of you tried the Anise spirit - I dropped a bottle of this and when I cleaned it up with a cloth, a few days later the skin started to come off my hands!

Perhaps the smokers amongst us would like to try it to remove the soot deposits on their lungs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.