Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Our Voice in Brussels

Our Voice in Brussels

Old May 29th 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our Voice in Brussels

'Elections to the European Parliament will be held in all member states of the European Union (EU) between 22 and 25 May 2014, (in Spain on May 24th) unless the Council acting unanimously decides to change the dates. It will be the eighth Europe-wide election to the European Parliament since the first direct elections in 1979'. (Wikipedia). Who will the Foreigners in Spain vote for, the candidate MEP list from the Partido Popular (who, obviously, won't do anything for us) or the candidate MEP list from the PSOE (who, obviously, won't do anything for us either). Anyone out there want to start a pro-european residents party?
Old May 29th 2013, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Voice in Brussels

My MEP is http://www.gileschichestermep.org.uk/

I wanted to vote for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Lord_Sutch but he was not on the list
Old May 30th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, poor old Screamin' Lord Sutch. He wanted to change the name of the island of Jersey to Cardigan.
Here in Spain, we get fifty 'eurodiputados' divided up from the party lists but without regional representation. So, your vote here (if, as a resident on the padrĂ³n, you have asked to vote in Spain) goes to a party list rather than a single candidate.
Naturally, the Spanish MEPS vote for Spain's interest - and not that of those foreign-Europeans who have chosen to live here. Occasionally, some European MEPs help us out (for the noblest of reasons), but it would be interesting if the 30 million displaced Europeans scattered across the EU had a voice in Brussels. The nearest to this ideal that I know of is the French Government which has two MPs within the national parliament to represent the French diaspora.
Old May 30th 2013, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

We have the freedom of movement within the EU, but we do not have the freedom to control, vote and govern any country that we happen to reside in

i.e. Spain can do what the hell it likes and unless we take up Spanish nationality, then it has nothing to do with us
Old May 30th 2013, 7:41 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
We have the freedom of movement within the EU, but we do not have the freedom to control, vote and govern any country that we happen to reside in

i.e. Spain can do what the hell it likes and unless we take up Spanish nationality, then it has nothing to do with us
please change that to Spanish Govt - otherwise you will be saying the Spanish people actually have a say in what happens, which you better than some know is not the case.

The thing I find unacceptable is that in the UK the incomers have immediate say and control over how the country is operated whilst here in Spain a large number of expats are disenfranchised.
Old May 30th 2013, 7:42 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
'Elections to the European Parliament will be held in all member states of the European Union (EU) between 22 and 25 May 2014, (in Spain on May 24th) unless the Council acting unanimously decides to change the dates. It will be the eighth Europe-wide election to the European Parliament since the first direct elections in 1979'. (Wikipedia). Who will the Foreigners in Spain vote for, the candidate MEP list from the Partido Popular (who, obviously, won't do anything for us) or the candidate MEP list from the PSOE (who, obviously, won't do anything for us either). Anyone out there want to start a pro-european residents party?

Do we bring our own drink or is there going to be a bar ??
Old May 30th 2013, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

The thing I find unacceptable is that in the UK the incomers have immediate say and control over how the country is operated
No they don't. They can vote in local elections but not in general elections, just like in Spain
Old May 30th 2013, 8:18 am

No they don't. They can vote in local elections but not in general elections, just like in Spain
OH Dear.

You can register to vote if you are:

â– 16 years old or over and a British citizen or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen who is resident in the UK
If you are 16 or 17, you can only register if you will be 18 within the lifetime of the electoral register. You cannot vote until you are 18.

Below is a full list of Commonwealth and European Union countries. If you are a citizen of one of these countries, and resident in the UK, you are eligible to register to vote in UK elections. To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to enter or remain in the UK or not require such leave. The definition of a 'Commonwealth citizen' includes citizens of British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories.

Citizens of the European Union (who are not Commonwealth citizens or Citizens of the Republic of Ireland) can vote in European and local elections in the UK, elections to the Scottish Parliament and Welsh and Northern Ireland Assemblies (if they live in those areas) and some referendums (based on the rules for the particular referendum) but are not able to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections.
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/who_can...r_to_vote.aspx

Note :
*Although also EU member states, citizens of Cyprus and Malta are eligible to be registered to vote in respect of all elections held in the UK.
**Citizens of Fiji and Zimbabwe retain their voting rights despite the countries having been suspended from the Commonwealth
Old May 30th 2013, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Err, you didnt read the text in your own link then?

I quote:

"Citizens of the European Union can vote in European and local elections in the UK, elections to the Scottish Parliament and Welsh and Northern Ireland Assemblies (if they live in those areas) and some referendums (based on the rules for the particular referendum) but are not able to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections"
Old May 30th 2013, 8:58 am

Err, you didnt read the text in your own link then?

I quote:

"Citizens of the European Union can vote in European and local elections in the UK, elections to the Scottish Parliament and Welsh and Northern Ireland Assemblies (if they live in those areas) and some referendums (based on the rules for the particular referendum) but are not able to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections"
But I did and perhaps you missed the bit about all Commonwealth citizens and the additional comments about Cyprus, Malta, Fiji and Zimbabwe - which are the reasons for my original comment.
To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to enter or remain in the UK or not require such leave.
And remember that whilst in Spain you retain your British rights but only for 15 years after which you become non-existant.
Old May 30th 2013, 10:36 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Este hombre no existe?

That can't be true. I'm here. My bank acknowledges that I exist, they let me draw out a few Euros this very morning.

Mind you, it might still be true. My wife totally ignored me earlier when I told her to hide the little dog sat on her lap as I could see a trafico check point ahead.

But they ignored me and I was pleased that I didn't exist.
Old May 30th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, it's the European elections next May. Those of us living, empadronado and on the Spanish electoral register (practically all of us!) can vote. Boring and not worth the trouble perhaps, but my point was this... imagine someone in Brussels who dealt with ex-pat issues. Since the Spanish won't vote much (it's a boring election), it might be possible to do something.
Pass the hat, maybe I'll do it myself (together with Cricketman)
Old May 30th 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lenox
Well, it's the European elections next May. Those of us living, empadronado and on the Spanish electoral register (practically all of us!) can vote. Boring and not worth the trouble perhaps, but my point was this... imagine someone in Brussels who dealt with ex-pat issues. Since the Spanish won't vote much (it's a boring election), it might be possible to do something.
Pass the hat, maybe I'll do it myself (together with Cricketman)
would you lke to combine that with being expat ambassador to the Court of St James or expat minister in the Palace of Westminster ??
Old May 30th 2013, 5:18 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the million expats living in Spain should have a voice in matters that affect them directly, certainly on a local level, and I applaud people like Lennox who make the effort to help them do so.

It doesn't apply on a national level, that is for Spanish people and Spanish people alone.

Despite Domino saying that after 15 years an expat no longer exists (and I think I may know what he means in an extremely roundabout way), you do still 'exist', although the way things are heading you may be quite happy to become invisible.

But it's a Catch 22 situation, invisible people can't vote anywhere.
Old May 30th 2013, 5:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

And remember that whilst in Spain you retain your British rights but only for 15 years after which you become non-existant.
Care to expand on that remark ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.