Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ouch,,, sun cream...I should have known

ouch,,, sun cream...I should have known

Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Default ouch,,, sun cream...I should have known

Hi, I know I should have brought some but didn't... where's the best place to buy good sun cream.... well it was bliddy freezing when I left blighty... now I look like a lobster... I looked in the local supermercado and the todo shops but nowt...I guess a trip to the farmacia is in order
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice
Default Re: ouch,,, sun cream...I should have known

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
Hi, I know I should have brought some but didn't... where's the best place to buy good sun cream.... well it was bliddy freezing when I left blighty... now I look like a lobster... I looked in the local supermercado and the todo shops but nowt...I guess a trip to the farmacia is in order
Ouch! Well first off you should probably get some aloe vera gel. I get mine in the mercadona or alcampo. Only about €2 for a huge bottle. For suncream i usually go to those chinese shops...they are always the cheapest!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Farmacia is your best bet.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pixieve
Ouch! Well first off you should probably get some aloe vera gel. I get mine in the mercadona or alcampo. Only about €2 for a huge bottle. For suncream i usually go to those chinese shops...they are always the cheapest!
not to be too hard on all the chinese shops (most of what they sell serves the purpose), BUT check where products such as sunscreen are made. Personally, I would have a hard time trusting anything like that made in the Peoples´Republic of China, that either I would rub on my skin or ingest. During my time in HK I come across or found out about a lot of dodgy stuff, from acne cream loaded with mecury, old engine oil,recycled and a flavouring added to be sold as cooking oil, baby formula, which was little more than a tiny amount of dried mik and chalk dust(that incident killed nearly 200 babies and damaged hundreds more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal and this story was only the "tip of the iceberg"), fake medicines and a whole lot more.

If it´s made in Taiwan , Hong Kong or Macau, it´s probaly safe, but not guaranteed.

Best to spend a few extra euros and be safe.

But that is just my opinion

Last edited by dunmovin; Apr 27th 2012 at 2:25 am.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunmovin
not to be too hard on all the chinese shops (most of what they sell serves the purpose), BUT check where products such as sunscreen are made. Personally, I would have a hard time trusting anything like that made in the Peoples´Republic of China, that either I would rub on my skin or ingest. During my time in HK I come across or found out about a lot of dodgy stuff, from acne cream loaded with mecury, old engine oil,recycled and a flavouring added to be sold as cooking oil, baby formula, which was little more than a tiny amount of dried mik and chalk dust(that incident killed nearly 200 babies and damaged hundreds more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal and this story was only the "tip of the iceberg"), fake medicines and a whole lot more.

If it´s made in Taiwan , Hong Kong or Macau, it´s probaly safe, but not guaranteed.

I see what your getting at, but most of ours sell well-known branded stuff - which you can often get cheaper in the supermarket!!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 5:17 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunmovin

My thoughts as well & of course it will look exactly like the real thing (to answer the next post by Lynnxa)
Old Apr 27th 2012, 6:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
My thoughts as well & of course it will look exactly like the real thing (to answer the next post by Lynnxa)
yes - I meant to say check the label carefully!!

I find the Mercadona Deliphy range to be as good as anything 'branded' though - especially the green aloe vera aftersun gel, which is great just for cooling even if you're not burned
Old Apr 27th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the good advice, I'll pop down the mercadon in a little while...can't get over all this sun... apparently it's still p*****g down back home
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

I find the Mercadona Deliphy range to be as good as anything 'branded' though - especially the green aloe vera aftersun gel, which is great just for cooling even if you're not burned
I use the Mercadona range too, and I have to be careful what suncream or other skincreams I use because some cause an allergic reaction, even the more expensive ones. I use a Clarins one for my face, but once bought some Piz Buin and had to throw it away because it brought me out in a rash.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:39 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

the sun damage to the human skin has many factors to take into account, such as the location - the sun is more intense in places like Singapore (30miles north of the equator)

the skin of the individual is a personal thing and even those from the same family can have different sun cream requirements.

remember that even those with black skin can get sunburn.

If I used it, which I havent for over 40 years, I would use a good well known name rather than something that is just cheap - the wrong formulation can do more harm than nothing.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:53 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago all the Chinese shops in Spain were found to be selling toxic toothpaste
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Originally Posted by Domino
the sun damage to the human skin has many factors to take into account, such as the location - the sun is more intense in places like Singapore (30miles north of the equator)

the skin of the individual is a personal thing and even those from the same family can have different sun cream requirements.

remember that even those with black skin can get sunburn.

If I used it, which I havent for over 40 years, I would use a good well known name rather than something that is just cheap - the wrong formulation can do more harm than nothing.
you don't use it???
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:50 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

I fancy the label will be an exact copy that would fool anyone, the bottom line is if its for sale in a chino shop its a snide.

Talking of Aloe Vera.
The plant grows everywhere, so cut off a nice fat leaf (I assume they are called that) and trim the sharp edge. Slice off a couple of inches & split in two, the gel will help to cool the skin from burns/bites etc etc & the rest can be kept in the fridge for a good few days.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by playamonte
I fancy the label will be an exact copy that would fool anyone, the bottom line is if its for sale in a chino shop its a snide.

Talking of Aloe Vera.
The plant grows everywhere, so cut off a nice fat leaf (I assume they are called that) and trim the sharp edge. Slice off a couple of inches & split in two, the gel will help to cool the skin from burns/bites etc etc & the rest can be kept in the fridge for a good few days.
yes it probably is.....but not for sure

in any case mercadona sells 'the real thing' cheaper
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

I rarely use suncream either and I have an active outdoor lifestyle. Too much suncream is damaging, in my view. Prefer to cover up when I've had enough exposure.

Aloe Vera - We use the plant as our main moisturiser and after shaving, irrespective of body part. It's excellent and saves a fortune. We grow our own plants and use directly from the garden, in a manner similar to that described above.

Can be used for other things very effectively also (use your imagination).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.