Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Organic living in Spain

Organic living in Spain

Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Organic living in Spain

Is it easier to live organic in Spain than the UK or N America?

Is the food more natural in Spain? Fruits and vegetables grown without chemicals and fertilizers and meat without hormones and antibiotics? I get the sense that it is. Not that Spanish farmers don't produce chemical laden foods. But, is it easier to have an organic lifestyle in Spain?
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organic living in Spain

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Is it easier to live organic in Spain than the UK or N America?

Is the food more natural in Spain? Fruits and vegetables grown without chemicals and fertilizers and meat without hormones and antibiotics? I get the sense that it is. Not that Spanish farmers don't produce chemical laden foods. But, is it easier to have an organic lifestyle in Spain?
Remembering, of course, that definitions of organic can vary.......I get the sense that it absolutely is not........ yes you can buy organic produce in big supermarket chains; yes you can source organic produce for yourself within towns & villages or whatever. Not sure where to find meat without hormones/antibiotics apart from befriending neighbours & holding out your hand at matanza time!. I've found significantly less evidence of the organic movement in garden centres/nurseries for composts, etc., and the total abandon with which (what around here seems like) the majority of landowners spray weedkiller is appalling to behold.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

A definite NO it isn't.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:13 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the above 2 comments.
I have never seen an organic section or anything marked as organic in any supermarket around where I live. Markets and greengrocers don't label their produce in any way. The countryside is full of discarded fertilizer etc sacks and containers and the olive trees are presently being sprayed with complete abandon round here, even adjacent to watercourses.
I don't eat meat but I have seen the indoor, intensive forms of livestock rearing all around Andalucia (usually big, long sheds on the edges of towns) - no way can livestock be reared in that way without chemical help.
So unless you grow/rear your own, no, it's not easier, it's harder.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Weird timing; I was on the point of posting a thread about permaculture because during a discussion about alternative forms of energy in our (free, Ayuntamiento) Spanish class I had done a text about permaculture & the teacher didn't appear to understand the concept even slightly......and she's really quite a liberated, free-thinking person.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:34 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I don't eat meat but I have seen the indoor, intensive forms of livestock rearing all around Andalucia (usually big, long sheds on the edges of towns) - no way can livestock be reared in that way without chemical help.
I own 17 bullocks that live in a barn and are probably going to stay there until they die and not a chemical will go near them unless there are any injuries etc.... Shed/barn does not mean bad... Organic does not necessarily mean good.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

According to this Spain has the most organic farmland in Europe.

http://en.greenplanet.net/food/organ...-farming-.html

And, if you want to start a farm in Spain.

http://en.greenplanet.net/food/organ...c-farming.html

Last edited by AdrianTO; Mar 21st 2010 at 3:14 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:17 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting...where does all the organic produce go?! Maybe they export it because it ain't in the supermarkets!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:05 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

If people need their eyes opening to how much money Spanish farmers get, maybe this will open them....

http://farmsubsidy.org/ES

... and I quote....
Algodonera De Palma Sa..........€31,682,500

In cotton production!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:17 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
If people need their eyes opening to how much money Spanish farmers get, maybe this will open them....

http://farmsubsidy.org/ES

... and I quote....
Algodonera De Palma Sa..........€31,682,500

In cotton production!!!!
I believe it - the British farmers rake it in too. I once worked as a temp in a Defra office, and it was staggering to see the money paid out to farmers for x, y, and z. They were even paid then to grow nothing - I believe it was called "set-aside".
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:19 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

On the other side of the coin farmers are treated really badly by the big buyers like Tesco. It's no wonder they often need these subsidies.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:24 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I believe it - the British farmers rake it in too. I once worked as a temp in a Defra office, and it was staggering to see the money paid out to farmers for x, y, and z. They were even paid then to grow nothing - I believe it was called "set-aside".
Really? I rented a room off a friend who happens to be a farmer. He grows wheat for thatching, and some beans and stuff.

Were it not for the fact that his thatching straw fetches a premium payment, and the wheat itself is a by product, he would have given it up as a bad business years ago. He's a small farmer and the profit margins on wheat etc for a farmer like him are miniscule. To get the grants requires a lot of paperwork and dealing with some right numpties at times.

There may be some farmers making a fortune, but it ain't the little guys.

One of my customers reared pigs, and he reckoned that the supermarket got far more money out of his pigs than he ever did.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:50 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I own 17 bullocks that live in a barn and are probably going to stay there until they die and not a chemical will go near them unless there are any injuries etc.... Shed/barn does not mean bad... Organic does not necessarily mean good.
Hope you don't mean die of old age,.. as against killed in their prime to eat.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:11 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
On the other side of the coin farmers are treated really badly by the big buyers like Tesco. It's no wonder they often need these subsidies.
What the likes of Tesco has done is terrible IMO but people choose to go there and still complain that they're taking over all the smaller shops / markets.
I can't say I've seen much in the way of organic food in Spain but I'd imagine this is because I never look for it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:31 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
What the likes of Tesco has done is terrible IMO but people choose to go there and still complain that they're taking over all the smaller shops / markets.
I can't say I've seen much in the way of organic food in Spain but I'd imagine this is because I never look for it.
Well, that's quite true. Trouble is, Tesco has a pretty good range, food, clothing and household, and they are cheap.

As for organic, well, I have never quite understood the desperate urge to pay twice the cost for a pretty similar product. Being organic does nothing for the actual food content, and I don't exactly see the food in say Tesco's as being contaminated with pesticides to the kind of level that will have a real effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.