Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted

Opinions wanted

Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:04 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opinions wanted

Did "we" not have a similar debate some weeks back?
If someone drives a UK camper over to Spain and tours around a lot, the vehicle cannot be matriculated to Spanish plate without an address for the owner. Owner would also need a NIE which needs a "home" address too. So despite a law which says you have to re-matriculate once you become resident and resident can be defined as being in Spain for more than 6 months, there is actually no way to re-matriculate a vehicle which is on the move. Last thing I remember was an enquiry to the caravan and camping club.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
If someone drives a UK camper over to Spain and tours around a lot, the vehicle cannot be matriculated to Spanish plate without an address for the owner. Owner would also need a NIE which needs a "home" address too. So despite a law which says you have to re-matriculate once you become resident and resident can be defined as being in Spain for more than 6 months, there is actually no way to re-matriculate a vehicle which is on the move. Last thing I remember was an enquiry to the caravan and camping club.
Well, its something that bemuses me .... A motorhome is for touring ..... If I lived in the UK and chose to tour Spain for 6 months ... well, it gets very confusing doesn't it!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

GlasgowGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
OK, the impression I got was that the vehicle was for transporting some stuff over, and to get them to a permanent place of residence ... maybe I'm wrong
No, that's exactly it. We just need somewhere to stay for a few months while we get ourselves sorted. We've lived out of boxes before so we only need to take the essentials to live such as the big TV and all the computers
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GlasgowGeek
....we only need to take the essentials to live such as the big TV and all the computers
So that will be a very large motorhome with auto seeking powered satellite dish mounted on top and roaming internet connection. Sounds like you need an ex TV outside event van to convert to your mobile home.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
If the Guardia think you are coming to live here then the clock can tick from the time of entry to Spain, the law says matriculation should be done as soon as possible if not at least within 3 months of entry, also within that time it means less taxes to pay.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

By my reading of the Spanish law jdr, it refers to the time of becoming normally resident. And the time allowed to avoid first matriculation tax still seems to vary from one office to another.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

dianaspain is an unknown quantity at this point

He does not want to make his bus into a 'vivienda' or 'permanent living space' as such!

All he wants is to do a little tour round, use it as transport and a base, then find a town he likes, somewhere nice to rent, then move his family in and sell the van!

Why all the tax talk and legal stuff, he is just looking around

It is a brilliant plan in my opinion and something I would love to do if I was not swamped down with all my animals

Best of Luck
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dianaspain
He does not want to make his bus into a 'vivienda' or 'permanent living space' as such!

All he wants is to do a little tour round, use it as transport and a base, then find a town he likes, somewhere nice to rent, then move his family in and sell the van!

It is a brilliant plan in my opinion and something I would love to do if I was not swamped down with all my animals

Best of Luck
He can only do it for so long, then he needs to know about tax and legal stuff.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dianaspain
Because then he can look around fully informed rather than do it in a half assed manner with no knowledge of what he is coming to
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kat,

I'm a war pensioner and can't work full-time so we will be able to survive on the money i get from that. Hopefully though, i might eventually do some part-time or voluntary stuff, or work from home as i felt a lot better there.

The only really big thing that is important to us is knowing where the nearest cardiac hospital is for my daughters pacemaker and INR checks. I believe Barcelona is the nearest to where we want to be (between Tarragona and Valencia).

Cheers,
Glenn
I do not know about cardiac hospitals but I have my INR checks at my local Doctor's (health centre) And it works faster than in UK as you get the result immediately.

Long and short term lets are plentiful and easy to get and I would recommend this as it means you can move on if you are not happy with the area.

Good luck.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ex-pat
I do not know about cardiac hospitals but I have my INR checks at my local Doctor's (health centre) And it works faster than in UK as you get the result immediately.

Long and short term lets are plentiful and easy to get and I would recommend this as it means you can move on if you are not happy with the area.

Good luck.
We test her INR at home normally but i don't think we would get a machine in Spain unless we can get one here to take with us.

Thanks! :-)
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

polo63 is an unknown quantity at this point

You mention taking pets over. Do they have passports? You hear many cases of things not working out and not being able to bring pets back into the UK. Just a thought that leaving pets should you need to "come home" would cause problems.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by polo63
You mention taking pets over. Do they have passports? You hear many cases of things not working out and not being able to bring pets back into the UK. Just a thought that leaving pets should you need to "come home" would cause problems.
I'm going to try and get that sorted just to keep our options open yes.

Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

Hi folks,

We want to move to Spain. Only been there once for 2 weeks but fell in love with the place and the people we met. I am essentially English, my wife is German, the kids are dual. We are all non-typical and get on very well with people from most countries and cultures.

Our plan is to buy an old minibus and remove some seats to qualify for lower insurance as a private vehicle, fill it with the crap that's important. Oh, and the kids & pets. Then go, after finding a place to rent short-term online.

Home is where we are so no worries about missing places etc.

Any flaws or advice?

Thankies
All I can say is go for it! We had no plan as such and rented until we found where we wanted to be. We sold up and shipped out gave up our jobs and because of my husbands war pension have been able to start a new life here in Spain as a family enjoying life not working ourselves to death. Our daughter loves it as do we, she is settled in school and after only 6 months nearly fluent. Go for it...my only advice watch the agents! We are in Marinaleda a communist village in Andalucia and we have never looked back.
In life sometimes you have to take risks and go with the flow for things to turn out. Good luck.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by celestine
All I can say is go for it! We had no plan as such and rented until we found where we wanted to be. We sold up and shipped out gave up our jobs and because of my husbands war pension have been able to start a new life here in Spain as a family enjoying life not working ourselves to death. Our daughter loves it as do we, she is settled in school and after only 6 months nearly fluent. Go for it...my only advice watch the agents! We are in Marinaleda a communist village in Andalucia and we have never looked back.
In life sometimes you have to take risks and go with the flow for things to turn out. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! :-)

RE. War Pension. Does your hubby get any of the supplements, and was there any problem getting them paid abroad? I did get WP in Germany but only 40% + ALSO.

I ask because i get now the mobility supplement instead of DLA mobility being paid.

Thanks,
Glenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.