British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Opening an Account or Credit Card in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/opening-account-credit-card-uk-514283/)

Chiclanagir Feb 14th 2008 11:08 am

Opening an Account or Credit Card in UK

I cannot understand why you have to be a UK resident to open one of the above in the UK. When we first came to Spain there was no problem opening a Spanish bank acount even though we didn´t have a spanish address at that time. Surely in a free moving Europe you should be able to open an account if living in another country? I can´t even get a credit card from Lloyds TSB who I have banked with for nearly 20 years.

Mitzyboy Feb 14th 2008 11:22 am

Re: Opening an Account or Credit Card in UK

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 5931300)
I cannot understand why you have to be a UK resident to open one of the above in the UK. When we first came to Spain there was no problem opening a Spanish bank acount even though we didn´t have a spanish address at that time. Surely in a free moving Europe you should be able to open an account if living in another country? I can´t even get a credit card from Lloyds TSB who I have banked with for nearly 20 years.

Yep, its a problem.

Thats why I left everything running when I left, 2 credit cards, debit card & bank accounts. I even had a problem with ebay / paypal initially because the UK credit cards bills are posted to a foreign address.

pwwm Feb 14th 2008 11:31 am

We did the same as Mitzyboy, left everything running. After nearly Five years it is still working well.;)

Fred James Feb 14th 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 5931300)
I cannot understand why you have to be a UK resident to open one of the above in the UK. .

It's like that to prevent money laundering.

Mitzyboy Feb 14th 2008 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5931503)
It's like that to prevent money laundering.

The chance would be a fine thing :)

jo-ann Feb 14th 2008 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 5931348)
Yep, its a problem.

Thats why I left everything running when I left, 2 credit cards, debit card & bank accounts. I even had a problem with ebay / paypal initially because the UK credit cards bills are posted to a foreign address.

Yes I was advised by the Halifax in UK to keep my account open and my internet account there, and I have had the same problem with Paypal, it was perfectly OK to use my UK card which has my Spanish address, but as soon as I had to update the expiry date I was no longer allowed to use it and had to get a spanish credit card which I didn't really want.

mikelincs Feb 15th 2008 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jo-ann (Post 5933059)
Yes I was advised by the Halifax in UK to keep my account open and my internet account there, and I have had the same problem with Paypal, it was perfectly OK to use my UK card which has my Spanish address, but as soon as I had to update the expiry date I was no longer allowed to use it and had to get a spanish credit card which I didn't really want.

We use our normal Spanish debit card for our paypal payments. Kept my UK account, BUT now I need to change the address.. and the problems that Halifax are causing, I need three pieces of paper to say I am who I am, and to prove that I do use that address for afficial contacts, If I go over to the UK, then I need only 2. I can easily produce the 2, but the third would be a problem, so am going to sort it out when I get back in teh UK next time.

gallerie9 Feb 15th 2008 11:40 am

We opened on in Gib only at Christmas no problems with our Spanish address

Fred James Feb 15th 2008 11:56 am

Originally Posted by gallerie9 (Post 5936557)
We opened on in Gib only at Christmas no problems with our Spanish address

Since when was Gib in the UK?

gallerie9 Feb 15th 2008 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5936632)
Since when was Gib in the UK?

its an english account with an english bank and usable in the UK

jackytoo Feb 15th 2008 3:19 pm

I have cards that I had before I left the UK. I did want to take out a Lloyds card through Air Miles as you can collect the miles and get a free flight for two just by taking out the card. Tried to fill it out on-line and it said UK residents only:(

Fred James Feb 15th 2008 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by gallerie9 (Post 5937342)
its an english account with an english bank and usable in the UK

It may be a Sterling account with an English bank and you may be able to use it in the UK but it is not a UK bank account any more than a Natwest Channel Islands account.

It is just another offshore Sterling account.

It may be appropriate to the original poster but she has not yet said why she needs a UK account.