Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening an Account or Credit Card in UK

Opening an Account or Credit Card in UK

Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening an Account or Credit Card in UK

I cannot understand why you have to be a UK resident to open one of the above in the UK. When we first came to Spain there was no problem opening a Spanish bank acount even though we didn´t have a spanish address at that time. Surely in a free moving Europe you should be able to open an account if living in another country? I can´t even get a credit card from Lloyds TSB who I have banked with for nearly 20 years.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening an Account or Credit Card in UK

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I cannot understand why you have to be a UK resident to open one of the above in the UK. When we first came to Spain there was no problem opening a Spanish bank acount even though we didn´t have a spanish address at that time. Surely in a free moving Europe you should be able to open an account if living in another country? I can´t even get a credit card from Lloyds TSB who I have banked with for nearly 20 years.
Yep, its a problem.

Thats why I left everything running when I left, 2 credit cards, debit card & bank accounts. I even had a problem with ebay / paypal initially because the UK credit cards bills are posted to a foreign address.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same as Mitzyboy, left everything running. After nearly Five years it is still working well.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I cannot understand why you have to be a UK resident to open one of the above in the UK. .

It's like that to prevent money laundering.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's like that to prevent money laundering.

The chance would be a fine thing
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yep, its a problem.

Thats why I left everything running when I left, 2 credit cards, debit card & bank accounts. I even had a problem with ebay / paypal initially because the UK credit cards bills are posted to a foreign address.
Yes I was advised by the Halifax in UK to keep my account open and my internet account there, and I have had the same problem with Paypal, it was perfectly OK to use my UK card which has my Spanish address, but as soon as I had to update the expiry date I was no longer allowed to use it and had to get a spanish credit card which I didn't really want.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Yes I was advised by the Halifax in UK to keep my account open and my internet account there, and I have had the same problem with Paypal, it was perfectly OK to use my UK card which has my Spanish address, but as soon as I had to update the expiry date I was no longer allowed to use it and had to get a spanish credit card which I didn't really want.
We use our normal Spanish debit card for our paypal payments. Kept my UK account, BUT now I need to change the address.. and the problems that Halifax are causing, I need three pieces of paper to say I am who I am, and to prove that I do use that address for afficial contacts, If I go over to the UK, then I need only 2. I can easily produce the 2, but the third would be a problem, so am going to sort it out when I get back in teh UK next time.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:40 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

We opened on in Gib only at Christmas no problems with our Spanish address
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9
We opened on in Gib only at Christmas no problems with our Spanish address

Since when was Gib in the UK?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:11 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fred James
Since when was Gib in the UK?
its an english account with an english bank and usable in the UK
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have cards that I had before I left the UK. I did want to take out a Lloyds card through Air Miles as you can collect the miles and get a free flight for two just by taking out the card. Tried to fill it out on-line and it said UK residents only
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by gallerie9
its an english account with an english bank and usable in the UK
It may be a Sterling account with an English bank and you may be able to use it in the UK but it is not a UK bank account any more than a Natwest Channel Islands account.

It is just another offshore Sterling account.

It may be appropriate to the original poster but she has not yet said why she needs a UK account.