Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

One very expensive grape.

One very expensive grape.

Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default One very expensive grape.

Wonder what the equivalent settlement would be in Spain, if indeed there was a settlement at all ?

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.a...ntid=157050460

Bloody teachers have got it made one way and another.
Big fat pay packet.
Lots of hols.
Only work,(if you can call it that), one day in two over the year.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:56 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One very expensive grape.

"Behind each of these cases is a person whose life has been changed through serious injury or unfair dismissal from their chosen career. Compensation is important but it is cold comfort if your health is irreparably damaged or your professional career has ended."
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
"Behind each of these cases is a person whose life has been changed through serious injury or unfair dismissal from their chosen career. Compensation is important but it is cold comfort if your health is irreparably damaged or your professional career has ended."
Fair enough in genuine cases.
Take this one for example.
Who but the guy in question truly knows whether or not he really is suffering from chronic pain or has even worsened his existing problem ?
Possibly he's telling the truth, but given what little information is contained in the article, you have to wonder just how easy it is for ppl to swing the lead.

Despite rigorous medicals in most but not all cases, no doubt there are countless false claims that do get passed, such as in whiplash and back problems from road accidents.
I've come across a few myself who have admitted to making false yet successful claims.
Yet another reason why insurance premiums are going sky high of late.
Punters are virtually encouraged by ambulance chasers to make claims regardless of whether they have serious problems or not.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Wonder what the equivalent settlement would be in Spain, if indeed there was a settlement at all ?

Big fat pay packet.
Lots of hols.

I'd put a tin hat on if I were you!

If there is one thing teachers are good at is believing they are the most hardworking and conscientious group with not idler amongst them.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Big fat pay packet.
Lots of hols.

I'd put a tin hat on if I were you!

If there is one thing teachers excel at, it is believing they are the most hard-working and conscientious bunch, with not an idler or failure amongst them.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:58 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough in genuine cases.
Take this one for example.
Who but the guy in question truly knows whether or not he really is suffering from chronic pain or has even worsened his existing problem ?
Possibly he's telling the truth, but given what little information is contained in the article, you have to wonder just how easy it is for ppl to swing the lead.

Despite rigorous medicals in most but not all cases, no doubt there are countless false claims that do get passed, such as in whiplash and back problems from road accidents.
I've come across a few myself who have admitted to making false yet successful claims.
Yet another reason why insurance premiums are going sky high of late.
Punters are virtually encouraged by ambulance chasers to make claims regardless of whether they have serious problems or not.
It is hard to fake broken bones
You appear to be one of those who believe the majority of disabled people are malingerers who fake injury to claim benefits and win huge settlements? The article you posted does not support your opinions. I have no doubt you could find others that do.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

There's no doubt there are loads of false claims, some get away with it, some don't. I was reading yesterday of some scaffolders sat in traffic and got bumped at was was reckoned to be 1mph. They all put in claims for whiplash, fortunately this claim was thrown out. There are lots of cases of people claiming disability that have been filmed playing golf, football, running races etc. Our local mayor was claiming whilst refereeing football matches and running the line, pleased to say after years of doing it he got caught. Unfortunately, the genuine cases are then viewed with suspicion, thought to be swinging the lead. There will always be abuses of the system, but thankfully it's there for the genuine cases.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:19 am
On the road again.

The problem is that in many cases doctors have to rely on the word of their patients regarding the extent of the pain or disability and naturally are inclined to err on the side of caution, even if only to cover their own asses, making false claims as described above quite easy to fix.

Regarding the teachers case, I made no attempt to say whether or not it was genuine. As I said there were very few facts in the article and even had there been, then far be it for me to know whether or not the claim was genuine.

However I am curious as to when an employee has the legal right to begin a claim.
For instance it would be unlikely that the school authorities were directly responsible for the grape in question being where it was.
Possibly they could only be said to be negligent if the cleaners had failed to do their job properly from the previous day.
Therefore if no negligence was involved on the part of the authorities, does he still have the automatic right to claim, bearing in mind that he could even be partly responsible himself for not looking where he was walking ?

Taking it a stage further,if a guy in the course of his daily work foolishly steps out in front of a car whilst crossing a road and gets injured, does he have any right to claim, presuming of course it was entirely his own fault ?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:14 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

We now live in a claim claim claim society, and so what if they are so stupid to pay
Old Apr 16th 2011, 4:32 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by anonimouse
We now live in a claim claim claim society, and so what if they are so stupid to pay
Because at the end of the day we've all got to pay the extra premiums involved to cover the false claims, whether it be directly through our car premiums or indirectly through payments to local authorities to cover their increased obligations.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who was a teacher. His line was, when people asked him what he did was, 'I'm a lion tamer. I used to be a teacher, but I lost my nerve.'

I wouldn't want his job, not for a pension and a big clock.

One of my old teachers, a great character - used to be in the RAF, I think. Saw him a while after I left, could have been ten, fifteen years, and he was a mess. On medication, a shadow of the man he had been. He'd moved to some other school, - he described the kids as animals. When I said I was sorry if we had led him a dance, he said, 'Trust me, what you lot got up to was nothing.'
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:30 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
I had a friend who was a teacher. His line was, when people asked him what he did was, 'I'm a lion tamer. I used to be a teacher, but I lost my nerve.'

I wouldn't want his job, not for a pension and a big clock.

One of my old teachers, a great character - used to be in the RAF, I think. Saw him a while after I left, could have been ten, fifteen years, and he was a mess. On medication, a shadow of the man he had been. He'd moved to some other school, - he described the kids as animals. When I said I was sorry if we had led him a dance, he said, 'Trust me, what you lot got up to was nothing.'
A bit of topic I suppose but they shouldn't really take the job on if they don't have the temperament to handle the kids and parents of todays society.

To what extent that comes into their training or guidance before proceeding with such a carrer I've no idea, but basically some can handle just about any situation without losing their rag or cracking up and make it all seem like water on a ducks back, whilst others are simply just not cut out for it from day one and never will be.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:55 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of topic I suppose but they shouldn't really take the job on if they don't have the temperament to handle the kids and parents of todays society.

To what extent that comes into their training or guidance before proceeding with such a carrer I've no idea, but basically some can handle just about any situation without losing their rag or cracking up and make it all seem like water on a ducks back, whilst others are simply just not cut out for it from day one and never will be.
Naaah, sorry mate, but no. There are some dim twats that just move from school to uni and back to school to teach without ever having lived outside the bubble.

However, there are decent people with a burning desire to teach, and they enter the lion cage as it were, and then, day by day, their goodwill and drive are eroded away by every dumbass parent, every bloody minded child, every stupid time wasting pc pile of crap that they have to do, and little by little the iron enters their souls.

The Uk has a shit education system, and before you start shrieking that it is wonderful because, whatever, remember that it turns out an awful lot of kids that can't read or write. That, put simply, is an abomination.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Naaah, sorry mate, but no. There are some dim twats that just move from school to uni and back to school to teach without ever having lived outside the bubble.

However, there are decent people with a burning desire to teach, and they enter the lion cage as it were, and then, day by day, their goodwill and drive are eroded away by every dumbass parent, every bloody minded child, every stupid time wasting pc pile of crap that they have to do, and little by little the iron enters their souls.

The Uk has a shit education system, and before you start shrieking that it is wonderful because, whatever, remember that it turns out an awful lot of kids that can't read or write. That, put simply, is an abomination.
If teachers were self-employed people, there'd be less sickness, less claims and less frankly poor teachers. Like any other profession there are some who really can do the job. Some truly inspiring people. Unfortunately, as long as we look at and pay for output and performance in terms of exam results, the top people will never show up. Most of the really clever people I know were, somewhere along the line, inspired by brilliant teachers. And few of them showed their true potential in the exam room, or in so-called careers advice sessions. My rant for the day!
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:17 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by angiescarr
If teachers were self-employed people, there'd be less sickness, less claims and less frankly poor teachers. Like any other profession there are some who really can do the job. Some truly inspiring people. Unfortunately, as long as we look at and pay for output and performance in terms of exam results, the top people will never show up. Most of the really clever people I know were, somewhere along the line, inspired by brilliant teachers. And few of them showed their true potential in the exam room, or in so-called careers advice sessions. My rant for the day!
There's a certain amount of truth there. Teachers should have to demonstrate competence, but that shouldn't tie up vast stretches of their time that could be better spent teaching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.